Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505
Debbie-do Posted: Fri, Jan 25 2013 8:59 AM

So I'm just surfing, minding my own business and this new product pops into my line of vision!  I'm wondering if any of you crafters out there have tried this.  Do you think you can sew with it like fusible Timtex or heavy fusible Pellon.  Maybe that's all it is with a different type of adhesive??

http://www.coatsandclark.com/Products/Fabric+Crafting/Phoomph+for+fabric/

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 65
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 9:16 AM

Debbie, I use Peltex 72 double-sided fusible for my post cards. It is thick and stiff. Guess you problaly use it, too. Anyway, I ran out and had to search all over to find any more. FInally found some. Will be delivered today. Thing is, you can buy it buy the bolt. But, the cost is WAY more then I can afford. Of course, just thinking, you probably do save over the long run.

This new stuff is even more expensive, I am thinking. It is $3.00 for a, what did it say?, 9 x 12 sheet. That is only two postcards worth. Hmmm...

Do you sure Pletex 72?

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 9:18 AM

Debbie ,nope ,First time I've seen it. looks intresting . I may keep and eye open for it at the stores.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,258
Points 134,838
Stephanie replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 9:39 AM

Debbie-do:
 Do you think you can sew with it like fusible Timtex or heavy fusible Pellon. 

I didn't see any stitching on the projects and didn't see that you can sew over it, but I did see that it says it's only surface washable and not machine washable in the flip pages.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,040
Points 169,828
Marie replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 11:53 AM

Steph, I read that also, it can not be submerged in water.

Millbury, MA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 1:59 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

This new stuff is even more expensive, I am thinking. It is $3.00 for a, what did it say?, 9 x 12 sheet. That is only two postcards worth. Hmmm...

Do you sure Pletex 72?

That sure is expensive.  I didn't read closely the first time. I figured there'd be a few sheets in the package.  I do use Peltex 72 though I haven't made a post card for a while but I have a stash of it (believe it or not!).  I understand not wanting to wash something made with this Phoomph.  I'm not sure I'd wash anything with the Peltex either.  Oh well... if anyone uses it, please report back and let the rest of us know how it worked out for you! 

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 3:27 PM

Peltex 72e is what I got. I thought I havd ordered just the 72. This stuff requires you to put the front and back on the fusible, at the same time.. Hold it with pins, and iron baste on both sides. Then remove the pins and iron until it adheres all over. This is a real pain! The other I had just had the plastic film that you pulled off when you fused the 2 dsides together. I do not like this.

Sukochi

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
diayag replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 6:49 PM

I have a two-layer tulle dress skirt from the Disney store that our princess shredded the front hem tof; was a bit too long, maybe.  There is a heavy silver glitter design on the tulle and the hem was scalloped.  I figured I could eliminate the front scalloping but the frayed tulle is a headache.  I was hoping phoomph would work, if I bonded the upper tulle and under layer (the skirt is constructed this way) and serged a new, shorter non-scalloped hem in front- but if phoomph isn't washable, no good.  I am concerned about tulle melting with heat, a little less concerned with stiffness.  Any suggestions?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 8:48 PM

diayag:

I have a two-layer tulle dress skirt from the Disney store that our princess shredded the front hem tof; was a bit too long, maybe.  There is a heavy silver glitter design on the tulle and the hem was scalloped.  I figured I could eliminate the front scalloping but the frayed tulle is a headache.  I was hoping phoomph would work, if I bonded the upper tulle and under layer (the skirt is constructed this way) and serged a new, shorter non-scalloped hem in front- but if phoomph isn't washable, no good.  I am concerned about tulle melting with heat, a little less concerned with stiffness.  Any suggestions?

Can you post a picture?  I'm not visualising this too well.

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,530
Points 46,505
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 8:54 PM

72 EEEEEeeeeeeeeek   That sounds like a nightmare, Sukochi!  I hope you didn' t get too much of it!

Southwest of San Antonio

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 6:28 AM

Got a yard. Enough for 27 postcards. Will have to put up with it for quite awhile.  :{

Sukochi

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use