lessons

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 80
Vicki Gamble posted on Thu, Jan 24 2013 10:24 AM

I am wanting to start teaching quilt making in my community. Are there any lesson plans out there anywhere that I can refrence? Also, what is the going rate for lessons? Any information will help me on this. Thanks!

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,224 Posts
Points 16,470
Susan replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 11:41 AM

Vicki, When I took classes at Joanns they used Quilters Academy Book. At LQS they just used a pattern. Hope this helps. Susan

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,831 Posts
Points 123,575

Susan :

Vicki, When I took classes at Joanns they used Quilters Academy Book. At LQS they just used a pattern. Hope this helps. Susan

Do you need permission from the person who designed the pattern before teaching it? I'm not sure how it works.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 12:47 PM

Judy

You don't need permission as long as each person taking the class buys a copy of the pattern.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,831 Posts
Points 123,575

Nana:

Judy

You don't need permission as long as each person taking the class buys a copy of the pattern.

That makes sense. Thanks Nana. I've taken classes where a photo copy was passed out (assume they had permission) and others where we were told to buy the book/pattern.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,504 Posts
Points 417,409
gini replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 1:04 PM

Hi, Vicki,  welcome to the group.  Are you teaching freelance or working through a shop?   Or are you affiliated with an organization?  It is hard to know what to charge, as that is determined by how experienced you are, how well known you are, etc.   

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,598

The shop I work at has a "textbook" that they use.  Each week the student gets another chapter to add to their binder.  The book costs them $18. and takes them through the complete process to make either a baby or lap size quilt.   The actual classes cost $100 for eight sessions - I think they are 2 - 3 hours long but not really sure since I haven't taken them.  If I see Sherrie, I will try to remember to ask her who the lesson plan / pattern is by.  

Oh --- welcome to QCA Vicki

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 100 Contributor
815 Posts
Points 16,265
Sue replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 4:15 PM

Hi Vicki,

Welcome to QCA!  I teach for our local college and here is what I do.  The class runs 8 to 10 weeks, depending on the school term, and each session is 3 hours.  The school sets the cost, but if I was to teach somewhere else, I would charge $5.00 per lesson per person (the area I live in is very poor, if you are in a more affluent area the charge could be $10).  First lesson is usually a talk about what quilting is and the tools that are a must have, I talk about fabric and thread and then the class learns to rotary cut (I supply the tools and fabric for this one).   I choose some easy to make blocks, like a 4 patch, 9 patch, log cabin, star block ( showing several ways to make flying geese).  All of the blocks are in the public domain so no permission is needed.  Each student gets a copy of the pattern to keep.  They learn to piece the blocks, put them together with sashing, add a border or two and how to layer.  We talk about the quilting since the class does not have time to actually do the quilting.  I do take one lesson to have them make a block, border it, layer and quilt it, then put on the binding.  This way they will know how to finish after the term is up.

A lot will depend on where you will be teaching and how many will be in your class.  I would limit it to no more than 10 students, you will be able to give individual help with a small group.  If the group is large you will not be able to help everyone.  Our community bee met today to start a year long project of skill building.  There were 18 in the group and two of us teaching.  That was enough, any more and no one would get the help they needed.  Most got two blocks done today, we meet for this project once a month but the bee meets every week.

Hope this helps,

In the Piney Woods of East Texas

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 80

I am teaching freelance. Our little town of 1800 doesn't have any shop to teach through. We have to travel about 45 minutes to get to the nearest quilt shop.

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 80

Thanks, Sue. That helps a lot. I am not in a very afluent area. We are pretty poor here. I had been toying with $5 or $10 dollars per lesson. It is great to hear what others have been doing.

Not Ranked
Female
4 Posts
Points 80

Thanks Marge, That is an interesting way to do the textbook. Do they have a special textbook they use or have they designed their own?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,314 Posts
Points 154,598

Vicki - i am pretty sure the shop uses a purchased program for the beginning quilting but I will ask when I go to work tomorrow. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,657 Posts
Points 136,077

Hi Vicki, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use