Top 10 Posters

using the salvage in a seam?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 305
Amy posted on Wed, Jan 23 2013 1:03 AM

I'm making a baby quilt and am literally two squares (2 1/2") short. If I cut the last 2 strips into the squares and use 1/8" or a  bit more of the salvage, I will have enough. These squares are sewn on the diagonal in the corners of blocks and then trimmed, making a triangle (flip and fold). So the tiny bit of salvage does show but should be taken up in the seam allowance once I sew the blocks together. Is there any reason I shouldn't use this minor bit of salvage? It really goes against the grain (ha...pun intended). I really hate to get more fabric for being 1/8" short on 4 blocks.

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,486 Posts
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 5:09 AM

I, personally, would use it.  I think I may have done exactly that once or twice over the 15 years of quilting.  Using the selvage is usually not a good idea because the weave is different, but for a bit that small, I don't think I would worry about it.   Go for it and enjoy your finished quilt.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,567 Posts
Points 30,544
Answered (Not Verified) Kelley replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 6:03 AM
Suggested by Kelley

Go for it...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,923 Posts
Points 26,980
Ramona replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 9:29 AM

As a rule I wouldn't use it but in this particular case I'd absolutely go for it too. The salvage does shrink a bit more than the rest of the fabric.  If you had a lot of it in a quilt, it doesn't stretch when you put it on a longarm machine so it can make it more difficult to quilt.  I would be sure to sew that scant seam on a shorter stitch length just so it doesn't pull out.  Can't wait to see pictures!!

Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 305
Amy replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 2:48 PM

Thanks all for your input. It will only be about 1/8" in 4 different corners, so not too bad. Probably was a stupid question for such a small amount, but I never used the salvage before. Just seems like I should be arrested or something...lol.

Amy

Top 75 Contributor
1,486 Posts
Points 30,250
Diana replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 3:24 PM

Amy,    Just so you know.....there are no quilt police around here.....lol 

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 70
TxQltr replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 4:00 PM

Amy,  No worries.  I've done this before with no bad outcomes!!   I try not to, but have run short of fabric before as well... 

Can't wait to see pics!

Shannon

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,110 Posts
Points 410,979
gini replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 1:13 PM

I've used the sell edge with no problems.   I try not to, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
786 Posts
Points 20,015
Carol replied on Sat, Jan 26 2013 10:13 PM

gini:

I've used the sell edge with no problems.   I try not to, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do.

That's exactly right - today, was  down to the last border on the mystery, and if I had chopped off the selvedges on the last two lengths of fabric, I wouldn't have had enough to make the borders!  It came out just the right length after piecing them, didn't even have to trim~~couldn't believe I was that lucky!  So you just gotta do it

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use