Top 10 Posters

Needed: Easy recipes for microwave, crock pot, toaster oven, or electric frying pan

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 22 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi Posted: Tue, Jan 22 2013 10:07 PM

Friends, I've been looking forward to this week for over 20 years. This is how my kitchen used to look...well part of it.

This is how it looks today.

I know in a month's time I will be delighted and so happy but until then I could use some help with dinners that don't take too long, are healthy, and can be cooked in a makeshift kitchen.   We have little time during the week but could do more over the weekends.  Help if you can.  And does anyone know if you ever get used to the thin coating of white dust that is everywhere from the construction? Thanks for any tips you send my way.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 10:48 PM

Looks like washing the dishes might also be a problem.  I think there are crock pot liners one can get to make that much easier.   I am just now learning how to use my crock pot.  For years I only used it for corned beef and maybe an occasional roast.  I found an easy, really good and fairly inexpensive recipe for black bean soup. 

I'll try and dig that up.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 119
Points 1,830
stitcheraz replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 10:58 PM

One of my "fond" memories from kitchen remodel was washing dishes in the bathtub and using the handheld shower head to rinse.  I set the drying rack from the kitchen sink on top of a bucket.  (We have two bathrooms, with one for showers and one for washing dishes.  I used electric frying pan and did everything I would normally do on the stove.  That combined with the microwave, we were fine...  Good luck and enjoy the process.  It was worth all the hassles.

stitcheraz

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 11:23 PM

Mimi:
And does anyone know if you ever get used to the thin coating of white dust that is everywhere from the construction? Thanks for any tips you send my way.

Hang light weight plastic tarps floor to ceiling (especially in the doorways)  to keep the dust in the construction area as much as possible.  It really does help!

When we were building a house once, we needed to move into the unfinished basement with no kitchen or bathroom for 6 weeks - in early winter.  We used a new garbage can for our water supply, set up a temporary kitchen counter with an old door set on up-side-down garbage cans and used a camp-stove, electric frypan, etc. It wasn't pretty, but we managed.  BTW, we moved into this temp situation over Thanksgiving weekend.  My boys cried because we went to a restaurant for Thanksgiving Dinner and "they wouldn't have any leftovers".  You never can guess what is important to little boys...LOL!  

Good Luck on your remodel...you will survive and I can't wait to see your pictures!  Jacy has a wonderful and very easy Taco Soup for the crockpot that I think is in the QCA Recipe section.  You might look for it.  If not, I have it...or maybe she will post it here.  I will keep an eye out and if she doesn't, I am sure she wouldn't mind if I post it for you.  ( I also have a very good Black Bean Soup recipe, but the clean up would be a bit much with your situation.)

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,543
Points 51,255
Ginny replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 8:04 AM

No you don't get used to that dust, and it goes just everywhere.  If you can hang plastic sheeting across the entrances to the area, it will keep it more contained and noth thruout your whole house.   Ginny

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,313
Points 18,420

You can make anything you want with those 4 items! 

Don't know what types of food you cook/eat but here are a few ideas off the top of my head----  Stir fry, fajita's and boil water for pasta in skillet.    Chili, soups, stews, roasts, meatloaf, pepper steak, chicken in crock pot.  Don't know what kind of toaster oven you have but in mine I can bake pretty much anything in mine (and it's not a fancy one)  Microwave- I just warm things up in mine...lol  

Go to Allrecipes.com or Cooks.com or your favorite recipe site and put in crock pot/ slow cooker. You should find hundreds of recipes and ideas there. 

Congrats on the new kitchen! You're very brave to do it in the dead of winter!  Good luck.

Piece, Love, Quilt

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 9:40 AM

Black bean and sausage soup:

2 1/2 quart chicken broth

1 lb dried black beans

8 or more ounces smoked turkey sausage, sliced

cup each carrot, onion, celery

bay leaf

tsp ground cumin

tsp dried oregano leaves,

salt and pepper to taste.

tsp brown sugar, optional

2 tbs cooking sherry

lemon

put all ingredients except sherry and lemon in crock pot, cook low 6 hours plus.  Add sherry at end.  Serve with lemon wedges.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

My favorite quickie dinner is dumping a bag of frozen meatballs into the crockpot and pouring a bottle of either BBQ sauce or Sweet and Sour sauce over the top. Cubes of  cheese,  a container of grape tomato and put out the crackers. Serve with toothpicks, instead of plates and forks (why not reduce the dishes/cleanup too?), and you have a feast worthy of a kitchen remodel. Congratulations on the new kitchen!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,451
Points 176,373
Marie replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 11:14 AM

Mimi, I can't add more than what's already been said.  I recently took my crock pot out and been having a ball with it.  Right now I have potatoes, carrots, onions and a whole chicken skin removed in mine.  Add the spices you like and a can of chicken broth and I'll have myself a few meals for the week for myself, and it's all low fat!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 4:28 PM

Mimi good luck with the Kitchen , as to foods crock pot you can cook just about anything in them .I just made beef stew In mine and it was nice.beef and Noodles are good , chili , roast chicken meatloaf ,I also use my toaster oven to bake ,french files  biscuits, any feexer food like nuggets ,fish sticks can all be done in them . or even fresh fish can be cooked in the toaster oven, good luck Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 5:12 PM

Spanish Chicken

1 whole frier, cut up

1/2 bottle of beer - preferably stale

1 7oz jar spanish style olives (Green)

1 small can tomatoe paste

salt and pepper to taste

Season chicken w/ salt and pepper and put it in the crock pot, largest pieces on the bottom.

Whisk the tomatoe paste and beer together and pour evenly over the chicken. Dump the olives, juice and all  one it. Cook on High for 4 hours or low for 4. Serve with bread, rice or, my favorite, polenta.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 6:12 PM

stitcheraz:
One of my "fond" memories from kitchen remodel was washing dishes in the bathtub and using the handheld shower head to rinse.

Sounds like you have a very flexible back, stitcheraz.  Thanks for your tips and welcome to QCA.  I don't think I've seen you on before.  DH is the kitchen cleaner and we have two upstairs bathrooms with double sinks.  He is doing the dishes in the hall bathroom and ours is for us.  Thanks again for helping me.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 6:20 PM

Donna B:
we needed to move into the unfinished basement with no kitchen or bathroom for 6 weeks

Your tale makes me appreciate the things I have to work with even if I'm feeling squashed into a tiny space to do them. The server in the dining room is the counter for now.  I forgot there was a recipe thread to this site.  Thanks for the reminder.  We've had Jacy's taco soup and absolutely love it. (Thanks for sharing, Jacy!) Of course the recipe is safely packed away in some box so I really appreciate your comment.  I keep saying this too shall pass.  It's so wonderful.  The electrician has been here for the last two days and the cold harsh fluorescent lighting along with the dropped ceiling has finally gone.  YEAH!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 6:24 PM

Ginny:
If you can hang plastic sheeting across the entrances to the area, it will keep it more contained and noth thruout your whole house.

Ginny, our crew is so thoughtful.  They have hung the plastic sheeting across the entrances.  I think my problem is the forced hot air heating system and how cold the weather is right now.  It's blowing the dust everywhere trying to keep us warm in this frigid time.  Hope all you quilters in the central and northern parts of the country are safe and warm.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,459
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 6:26 PM

Erin:
boil water for pasta in skillet. 

What a great idea, Erin.  I would have never thought of it. DH was happy when I told him about it.  He loves his pasta.  And thanks for the vote of confidence.  We have been planning this since spring 2012.

Page 1 of 2 (23 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use