Trouble keeping my ruler where it needs to be

Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 18 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 165
crazystitcher1956 Posted: Mon, Jan 21 2013 8:46 AM

I am a new quilter but getting older by the moment. :)  I am having trouble keeping my ruler on my fabric where I need it to be. Right now I use packing tape on both ends to keep it in place but I know there has to be a better way. I did some "shopping" at Joann's and found those dots you put on your ruler but the reviews made me believe they were a waste of time so I am asking you more experienced quilters.

• | Post Points: 95
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 8:59 AM

Welcome, Crazystitcher.

All I can say is don't waste your money on those suction cup handle things. I spent $20.00 and can't get it to hold the ruler where it needs to be. But, my DS has one and loves hers. Maybe, I am not putting it in the right place on the ruler.

I have used the dots. Work good, but, almost too goot.  Hard to move the ruler, to another spot, on the fabric with those.  Check out ther gripper rulers. They are good.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,770
Points 65,998
Jeanine replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 12:10 PM

I love the dots.  They work good.  I really notice when I use a ruler that doesn't have them. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,251
Points 28,340
Agnes replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 12:43 PM

Not all dots are created equal. I really like the sandpaper ones.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 934
Points 15,810
Marge P replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 1:45 PM

Crazystitcher - I just rec'd an order of Grip Strips from Guidelines4Quilting.com and really like them.  They are the same stuff as the little clear dots but are 1/4" wide and 12" long - there are 6 strips to a package.  Peel off one and put on the back side of the ruler on each side and they work very well.

Am using the Angle rulers and you can cut these strips in whatever lengths you need.  I put short pieces for all three sides of these rulers and I am very satisfied and much less frustrated.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 19
Points 770
Tina replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 2:36 PM

I had the same issue - went to Martelli and bought their rulers.  I can cut thru 12  layers of fabric and nothing moves

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 165

I found a lot of "neat" things at this Web site. Thanks so much for pointing me here. So many things I'm not sure I have enough time to see them all. I like the small measuring tool. Sure beats all those other measuring tools I have lying around.

Thank you for your advice. I got a lot of good advice. I signed up to perhaps win some of those strips. If that fails, I may just purchase some to test them out. Thanks again.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 165

I never knew there were so many different type of rulers. Guess I should do more homework. I'll check out Martelli too. Thanks.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 19
Points 770
Tina replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 2:45 PM

Before you do anything - go to martelli.com and watch their videos.  They do not come cheap.  If you subscribe to their email list they  run specials every month or so and they are usually 50% off.  That is when I buy.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,454
Points 361,767
Kris replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 9:42 PM

Guidelines for Quilting makes Grip Strips. These things are awesome they work better than anything I've tried. I plan on buying more for all my rulers and templates.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,653
Points 37,355
ls2116 replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 10:04 PM

I have the dots but I haven't used them yet  I guess I'll try them.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,503
Points 50,705
Ginny replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 8:11 AM

Is, I put the dots on one of my rulers, but I didn't like them.  I am reffering to the silicon dots.  They raise the ruler up just a little and I found when I pressed down on the center of the ruler , it caused there to be an uneven cut.  I don't use them.  I just make certain that my little finger and sometimes also my ring finger onto the fabric to keep the ruler from moving.  Sometimes even that doesn't work and the I fold the fabric lengthwise again so there is a quarter width of the fabric and cut it that way.   Hope this helps somewhat.   Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 8:30 AM

TINA

So which ruler(s) did you purchase from Martelli.  They have so many that I'm unable to decide.  Will go to library today so that I can use their wifi free and watch the demo videos

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Points 165

I didn't buy any yet. From other answers, I will wait for sales since it seems they appear to be very expensive.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 9:02 AM

My ruler slips when I am not holding the rotary cutter straight.  If I am holding is slightly angled in, I tend to push on the ruler.  When I pay attention to this, my ruler rarely slips.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (19 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use