Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 34 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 30
Points 690
KathyAnn Posted: Sun, Jan 20 2013 11:27 PM

Wanted to introduce myself and say Hello everybody.

I am a new quilter, still working on my first top. I have wanted to be a quilter for a long time so I have pictures of many quilts in my head! I started an 8 week beginner class in the fall but was unable to finish it, so I tried to finish by my self. I had trouble with a couple of the blocks and had to order more fabric to finish. I became frustrated with it and laid it aside for a while, so that became my first UFO. Now I am piecing a scrappy churn dash and happily building a stash!  I am interested in learning to hand piece and hand quilt because there are just times when I need to leave technology behind and work on things, in a simpler peaceful way ,away from the sewing machine. I also have several works in progress of my grandmothers that were hand pieced that I hope to finish.

I am a history buff, I like needlework, and do embroidery and cross stitch.I also love gardening, reading, my horses, goats and chickens. I am married, a mother of two boys, a retired nurse and enjoy spending time with my 3 yr old granddaughter. I look forward to talking with you on here and maybe participating in some groups.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,714
Points 364,457
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 12:46 AM

Welcome to the group Kathy Ann. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,507
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 3:36 AM

We;come KathyAnn,   Where in Tennessee are you?   I'm in East Tn. but a transplant from upstate NY.  I don't do a lot of hand work (sewing down binding) but it is the most relaxing for me.  Ask away if you have questions.  We love to share our love of quilting with anyone who wants to learn.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,653
Points 136,022
Leslie replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 5:23 AM

Hi KathyAnn, welcome

[Ava, Missouri

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 8:37 AM

Kathy Ann, welcome to the fray. You should check out the groups. All sorts of groups going. Great way to learn. There is a retreat in Seivereville, TN in June, Check it out under retreats. Great way to meet the members, or, those who can do retreats. Last year, I, briefly, stopped in to that retreat. They were having sew much fun!!

My DS1 (sister) lives in Tullahoma, TN. and Nantenn, from here, lives in Cleveland, TN. IF you are in East TN. youare surrounded.

Happy tp meet you. Hope you will stop in a visit with us often. Share your victories, ask us to laugh, ask us to pray, even, ask us to cry with you. We are a very close knit bunch, with lots of room ofr others. Want to, get on your soapbolx, and share your opinions? This is the place. We share everything in our lives. Well, everything LEGAL .Is hoarding fabric legal?? Why is there no Hoarding Quilters show on the tube? We should look into that. Could get paid for our stashes.  haha. : }

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,353
Points 174,683
Marie replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 9:38 AM

KathyAnn, looks like you have a lot in common with all of us, welcome and enjoy!

Millbury, MA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,407
Points 19,560

Welcome KathyAnn,

You will love it here. There all kinds of quilters here. Hope to see some pictures of your quilts.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 10:07 AM

hi kathyann, welcome to the group.    we also have a retreat in branson this spring, they are great fun and we would love to have  you join us in one.  they are member organized, so we keep the costs pretty low. 

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 19
Points 770
Tina replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 7:27 PM

Diana

where in. NY are you from?  We left there in '81 and went to Fla for 25 years .  Then here to middle teTennessee

Tina

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 104
Points 1,780
Bandmama replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 7:56 PM

Hi KathyAnn.  Welcome and don't worry - one day that UFO will call your name and you will start working on it again AND think it's the greatest thing ever.    I'm pretty new/back at it myself.  When I was younger my Grandmother taught me to quilt.  She machine pieced but hand quilted everything.  There is something to be said for creating by hand.  I believe you will find this the most supportive group around.  I'll be looking for your churn dash quilt.  I have that pattern along with a log cabin and a bear's paw on my radar for this year.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,507
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 9:35 PM

Hi Tina,    I was born in Albany, NY and lived outside Albany in a small country community.  I worked for the State in Albany for 34 years and retired 10 years ago.  It just got so expensive to live there, especially on pensions, so down we came.  Needed to be near the mountains so East Tn. was great.  We are near the Smoky Mtns. now and love it.  DH goes gold panning and I quilt.  something for everyone....hehe

Diana (Bink) in East. Tn.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 10:44 PM

Hi Kathy Ann!  That sure is a cute grandbaby with you in your profile pic.

It sounds like you are already hooked on quilting.  If you like handwork, you should join the applique group - or better yet, come to the Branson retreat and have our own Gini show you how to do it.  She is a very patient teacher.

We have several retired nurses in our club, as well as gardeners, book lovers, and horse owners, so it sounds like you will fit right in!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,397
Points 415,529
gini replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 10:47 PM

kathyann, i would love to work with you on hand piecing and quilting.  our branson retreat will be a lot of fun. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 12:44 AM

Kathy Ann welcome to the club,  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 30
Points 690
KathyAnn replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 7:09 PM

Thank you Kris!!!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 3 (35 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use