rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Female
173 Posts
Points 2,235
Candace Weiss posted on Sun, Jan 20 2013 10:10 PM

Hi everyone, 

Has anyone tried the Expidit found at Ikea for keeping your fabric easily organized. It is basically a 16-20 hole cubby that you keep your fabric in boxes or baskets, or you could just fold it and keep it colors or theme organized in each of the holes. 

I would love to get my fabric out of all the Rubbermaid containers and be able to find what I want to use easier. 

Thanks for any ideas! 

Candace

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 75 Contributor
1,530 Posts
Points 31,115
Answered (Verified) Diana replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 8:37 AM
Verified by Candace Weiss

Hi Candace,    I have regular bookshelves for storing my fabric.  But to store it, I wrap it on comic book backing boards that I buy online from   www.bcwsupplies.com        They are used to keep comics stiff and stored in plastic sleeves.   They are certified acid free so they won't hurt the fabric.  If you click on my name and look in my gallery, you will see my stash (DH thinks I need to open  a store..lol).    I can see all my fabric at a glance and can select what colors I want and go along and match up for projects.  Just thought you might like to take a look.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.   

• | Post Points: 25

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 7:08 AM

Candace Weiss:
 Has anyone tried the Expidit found at Ikea for keeping your fabric easily organized. It is basically a 16-20 hole cubby that you keep your fabric in boxes or baskets, or you could just fold it and keep it colors or theme organized in each of the holes. 

May DD bought 2 of them, different sizes as a room divider in her studio apt.  They do sell bins to fit.  I would first check measurements to make sure your bins aren't deeper that the unit.  They are more square than rectangular.  I prefer rectangle bins, but that's just me.  Would love to see pictures if you do get them.

Good Luck

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 85,875

I got a shoe holder at Lowe's,  6 rows, 27 4 -3/4 inches wide, 13 inches deep, with two deep drawers on the bottom. Excellent for fat quarter storage. I also keep rolls of fusibles in one of the drawers. And, some of my woolens in the other.. They came in brown and white. Can't remember the cost, but know it was very reasonable.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
1,530 Posts
Points 31,115
Answered (Verified) Diana replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 8:37 AM
Verified by Candace Weiss

Hi Candace,    I have regular bookshelves for storing my fabric.  But to store it, I wrap it on comic book backing boards that I buy online from   www.bcwsupplies.com        They are used to keep comics stiff and stored in plastic sleeves.   They are certified acid free so they won't hurt the fabric.  If you click on my name and look in my gallery, you will see my stash (DH thinks I need to open  a store..lol).    I can see all my fabric at a glance and can select what colors I want and go along and match up for projects.  Just thought you might like to take a look.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.   

• | Post Points: 25
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 12:26 PM

I have bought several cubbies from Target.  I like the ones that have 8 cubbies.

I ordered comic book cardboard from amazon.com and I use them as mini bolts to wrap my fabric on.  These fit perfectly in the cubbies and look like books on a shelf.  I also get totes from Target that hold my projects.  I can fit three totes in each cubbie.

I don't have a picture of my fabric.  I should take one...

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use