Top 10 Posters

Start planning for Mystery Quilt 8

Page 7 of 13 (185 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 184 Replies | 41 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,384
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 9:41 AM

two starkly contrasting fabrics which read as solids.   Hmmmmm.  I am limited as far as solids.  Have to go look in my stash.  BUT THIS DOESN'T MEAN I AM JOINING IN ON THIS MYSTERY.   Oh geez Nana.  I am getting sucked in!  But only if it is in my stash!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,336
Points 38,860
Mimi replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 9:55 AM

Patti:
Oh geez Nana.  I am getting sucked in!  But only if it is in my stash!

Me too Patti.  I've had a blue w/ small white dot waiting for something like this for a long time.  I bought the end of the bolt three owners ago from the local quilt shop.  Cyndi Hershey was the owner then and she got me to buy the whole piece saying, "Oh that would make a beautiful two color quilt." Oh I'm weak.  I'm very very weak.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,320

Strangely enough, reading all the MQ posts is energizing me to finish my UFOs!  I may or may not do MQ8, but I'll sure have other FOs to my credit by the time this is over LOL.

And this morning I did 30 quarter-inch seams and all of them were pretty much straight!  Didn't use the stack of stickynotes tip, but I slowed down my sewing speed and paid attention to guiding the fabric.  Who'da thunk it? LOL

Chained my patches, too, which helped.  I'm not concerned with saving thread, and it doesn't save all that much time, but it helped keep me focused. 

As Ronnie Reagen used to say, Progress Is Our Most Important Product!  Or, at least, my most important (my friends and family love my product even when it's nowhere near perfect).

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 436
Points 8,360
Jan replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 11:00 AM

Pat,

BECAUSE your son and family moved in with you you should do the mystery quilt.  Even if it means a trip to ..gulp.. the LQS.  LOL.

You need to keep your sanity too.  My son and family moved in for a "short time" and it turned out to be 6 1/2 years!

Jan in Rochester NY

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,305
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 1:57 PM

Debbie, your quilt is lovely. I keep saying I want to do one like this but haven't gotten around to it. My granddaughters will all be grown before I do it. ha You did a nice job.

Thanks, Joyce.  It was just one of those things I saw on eBay - the Sun Bonnet Sue appliques and decided I needed to do one.   Then I found the redwork ones and soon had two SBS quilts.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 3:58 PM

Ha Ha ha....I still have not completed #2.  I'm so far behind on my work I swear I will never catch up.  I need to recover my cushions on my rattan furniture...going to do them in demin, Different shades of blues and greens.  I still have 2 wall hangings needing completion and many other projects.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 4:00 PM

Nana

is this going to require actual 2-1/2" wide strip sets...I hope so since I have several sets on hand.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
Yes Sister, I'm still looking for the right something dramatic with PURPLE. (now watch, i'll do something totally off the wall) LOL

MelodyP

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 4:26 PM

Joni

Sorry but no 2 1/2 in strip sets.   The jelly roll strips and other precuts won't work on this one.   We are going to get back to basics on this one and do our own cutting.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 645
Points 16,310

ls2116:

Nana are there any suggestions on how many fabrics to use to make the design pop?

I'm obviously not Nana, but I took her saying two highly contrasting fabrics to mean we'll only be using two different fabrics.  She did say the borders would be different fabrics.

Brigit-Carol

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 176
Points 2,485
Christine replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 7:47 PM

Brigit-Carol,

I think they would read as a solid! But that's probably because I think they are beautiful!!!!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,305
Points 21,710
Debbie replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 8:17 PM

from Mimi - I've had a blue w/ small white dot waiting for something like this for a long time.

I went thru my stash and found some red w/small white dots that I'm hoping there's enough for this.  just can't decide on contrasting color.  May have to dig deeper, of course, it all depends on how much fabric each color needs.  I really want to do MQ8 but don't want to buy any more fabric till I use up some of what I've got.  may be doing some scrappy quilts for a long time.

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,574
Points 36,060
ls2116 replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 8:51 PM

Thanks ,  I'll know not to use strips and yes then I guess I will be able to use three fabrics.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 417
Points 10,440
Donna replied on Sun, Jan 27 2013 9:25 PM

Well I was thinking about plum and lavander, but I checked my stash and I only have 1 yard of plum, but probablly 5 of lavander, so I will either have to put this hot pink that I have about 3 yards of with the lavander or go to LQS and buy more of the plum.  Of course I have several yards of white on white designs, so I may do something else..... I dont know.  I went to the LQS thursday to get repeating fabric for a stack and wack class that I will be taking in march.  I walked away with about 250.00 in fabric, but mostly orientals.  so they wont do for this project. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,320

Oooh, hot pink and lavender sounds delicious!  But then, you already knew I like bright colors LOL.  Lavender and white-on-white could be nicely formal ... trim it with the plum as a border or something, maybe. Exquisite! 

I've been slowly organizing my sewing room, but there are still a lot of things I know I have but can't find.  Last summer I bought gorgeous hot pink and raspberry silk for palazzo pants, can't find them.  In the fall, I bought a purse pattern and luxurious-looking fabrics for it, can't find that either.  I need an archaeologist  !

I do keep turning up stuff I've forgotten -- who was it said she puts her leftovers in the back of the fridge and lets them marinate?  Surely some of my fabrics are ready for consumption by now?

--Bayla

Page 7 of 13 (185 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use