Top 10 Posters

Start planning for Mystery Quilt 8

Page 4 of 13 (185 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 184 Replies | 41 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,320

Yes, it is psychedelic -- I did pick the original group of prints because "they made my eyes hurt" LOL but the colors were coordinated (except the one with more or less concentric orange rings).   My first design didn't have sashing, and was even wilder. 

DH says he wouldn't be able to sleep, under a quilt like that, but Josh's other grandmother agrees that it fits Josh's personality to a T. 

I've continued to collect fabrics in those colors and will probably omit the orange rings.   The real question will be, after I get it done, what on earth will I do with the leftover fabric???     Wheelchair quilts for hospital kids, maybe ...

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 305
Points 7,110
lcqultr46 replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 1:41 PM

Count me in, Nana, even tho I, like others, have plenty of other projects unfinished.

For five years I've been working on a memory quilt SunBonnet Sue, using my mom's favorite outfit, black/white check pants and yellow top. I have nine blocks done, and either three, seven or eleven blocks to go, depending on the setting. But, since I'm doing lap quilting, once the blocks are finished and put together all I'll have to do is bind it. Here's my Seattle Sue block.

JudyEE at the base of Mt. Rainier

• | Post Points: 65
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 602
Points 9,590
Joyce replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 1:49 PM

Debbie, your quilt is lovely.  I keep saying I want to do one like this but haven't gotten around to it.  My granddaughters will all be grown before I do it. ha  You did a nice job.

Joyce

from Md.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 88
Points 3,065
Sheila replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 1:53 PM

Bayla,

Wow!  You are already trying to make plans for leftover fabric?  My leftovers get pushed to the back of the fridge...I mean closet.....then left to "marinate", sometimes for years and years, then they resurface as the perfect "new" fabric for some special project.  Of course, all my fabrics are leftovers, because I buy it in huge chunks (anything under 5 yards is a scrap to me), and I am always adding more! 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,723
Points 121,515

JudyEE, your Seattle Sue block is wonderful. I like the 3-d Umbrella. I've never attempted hand quilting. But perhaps I'll try doing a small project, quilting it block by block.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,770
Points 39,155
ls2116 replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 2:11 PM

I've often thought of doing is it candle whick blocks quilt by hand but usually anything I can make using machine wins out.  I'm thinking about mq8 I wonder if it can be done using 3 fabrics.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 75
Points 1,320

My leftovers are swamping my stash and overflowing my sewing room  :)  The first thing I ever quilted "from scratch" was a table runner with about 36 different fabrics -- I call it the most expensive table runner in captivity, since I bought anywhere from a fat quarter to a yard or more of each fabric.  I love the result, even though the craftsmanship leaves a bit to be desired  :)

I don't want to plan on "years and years" -- I'm at an age where I don't buy green bananas :)  DH also puts in his $0.02 whenever I buy more fabric.

I'm a confessed fabriholic!  Always have been, my idea of a lot of fun is to go somewhere like G Street Fabrics near Washington DC, or Vogue Fabrics near Chicago, and just wander around daydreaming!   Now that I've begun quilting, I have an excuse to BUY them and take them home with me!

-- Bayla

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,556
Points 51,395
Ginny replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 4:19 PM

Judyee, Your Seatle Sue is a cutie.  background is perfect for it.    Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,483
Points 176,833
Marie replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 5:15 PM

Bayla, I have the puzzle fabric in fleece.  That's what I plan on lining my DGGS's quilt with.  It's so soft and cuddly!

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,483
Points 176,833
Marie replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 5:19 PM

Judy, your Sunbonnet Sue is precious, especially because of the fabrics you used, can't wait to see it finished.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,483
Points 176,833
Marie replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 5:25 PM

OOPS, Bayla, I forgot to say how much I like your draft, "psychedelic" quilt.  It's great!  Very stimulating for a baby quilt as well.

Millbury, MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,034
Points 13,150

Nana:

Jan

I have always loved that pattern but it is really difficult to find anymore,.   Everything is Sunbonnet Sue and I have just never cared much for her...LOL>

Nana, I never liked sun bonnet sue until the came out with the international quilt. Now there is a Christmas one that is great. I'm planning on doing both for my granddaughters. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 10:51 PM

Is    heads up on fabric.   It will work best with 2 fabrics with stark constrast.   Like black and white, red and white,   fabrics need to read as solids on this one .    At least until we get to border fabric.  You can use any color combinations but you want dramatic contrast.   I haven't finished fiqured the yardage requirments yet.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 10:55 PM

The only Sunbonnet Sue quilt that I even vaguely like is the 12 ways to kill sunbonnet sue.   Now that one gives me a chuckle.

Vinton, Virginia

replied on Fri, Jan 25 2013 11:33 PM

Nana:

The only Sunbonnet Sue quilt that I even vaguely like is the 12 ways to kill sunbonnet sue.   Now that one gives me a chuckle.

Ahhhhh A Murder Mystery!! I hear overall Bill did it!

• | Post Points: 35
Page 4 of 13 (185 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use