Top 10 Posters

Batting question with flannel fabric.

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 24 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
33 Posts
Points 805
jrcgj posted on Sun, Jan 20 2013 6:19 AM

What do you suggest? I am going to make a quilt for my son using flannel. I was thinking of using the quilters dream puff, but then thought it might be to heavy. So maybe cotton? Help please. 

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Not Ranked
33 Posts
Points 805
jrcgj replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 4:03 AM

Thanks  Caryl Anne for the info. My son is 15. I live in Central PA. were it was a high of 7 degrees. I have a question what is  QS FLANNEL. I'm still new to quilting. 

I do love that I can get all my question asked in just one place. Thanks to everyone with your suggestions. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
1,507 Posts
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 5:47 AM

I have used fleece for a backing on a child's quilt.  If you check it out, it only stretches in one direction.  I use the non-stretch direction on the length and pin the heck out of the width to keep the stretch under control.  It makes the quilt very warm and I don't usually use batting when using fleece.  If you want to use flannel that is 108" wide, go to   www.fabric.com     They have great wide flannel that I buy and use for backings.  It's the cheapest I've found and my LAQ loves it as well.  It's a very nice quality.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.  

Top 150 Contributor
Female
665 Posts
Points 12,705

Diana, I just looked at that website, fabric.com and they have great prices on flannel. Is all their flannel good quality or just the wider ones ? I looked at one that says 45 " wide. Just wondering what your experience has been with them? I usually back alot of my quilts with flannel and still use warm& natural for the batting. The quilt then can be used during colder winters and we love the cuddliness of the flannels. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

Hi Maria, I do use Fleece for ponchos and wraps, it is a very comforting fabric, I haven’t ever used it as a back of a quilt though because it is acrylic and not cotton. Therefore, it does not wash or dry the same; I think someone answered to use it for warmth and the cuddle factor. I bought a piece of cuddle fleece last week to make a throw for Kayleigh, but it will be only one layer. After washing and straightening as well as possible ( oh man the stretch) I serge the edges with wooly nylon thread. That is as if doing a stay stitch keeps the stretch in check. I love the fleece for putting over my sheets on very cold nights.
LQS referred to Quilt Shop fabrics.
Again, in Texas where I am, we are lucky to have mostly mild winters, today for example it will get to 67. So we just layer when necessary.. LOL

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 70
TxQltr replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 4:28 PM

Thanks CarylAnne for the great info!  Much appreciated on my end!

Shannon

Top 75 Contributor
1,507 Posts
Points 30,670
Diana replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 6:53 PM

Michelle,   I have found all their fabrics to be very good quality.  It's LQS quality.   I've never been disappointed.  As a matter of fact, got a delivery today of 108" wide flannel from fabric.com.  Got some blue and pale mint green for backings for a couple quilt tops that are finished and needed backing.  I ordered it on Sunday and was delivered here on Wed.  Can't beat that.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

Top 200 Contributor
Female
304 Posts
Points 26,570

Marie:
Has anyone every used fleece as a backing on a childs quilt and would you recommend it?  I bought a piece to back another baby quilt but it seems to stretch so I'm afraid to use it

Marie, I have used fleece on the back of baby and children's quilts.  As Diana responded, look for the direction of the stretch and put it across the width.  Pin, pin, pin for quilting.  I do not put batting in quilts that I use fleece for backing.

Good luck.

Darlene

from Western New York

replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 10:55 PM

Marie, I have used fleece several times, and Mindy for backing s, mostly on kids quilts for winter, and family up in Alaska. I use cotton batting, or sometimes no batting. It quilts up beautifully, all puffy. It is kinda stretchy though.  But I do like to use it, it's cuddly and soft and warm, 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 23 2013 11:25 PM

Marie

I have used fleece for a backing and used a cotton batting.  The person getting this quilt wanted extra warmth.  It worked fine and I have never seen a problem with washing after quilting. After everything is quilted the fleece holds its shape just perfect.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,370 Posts
Points 174,978
Marie replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 11:54 AM

Thanks to all who've answered my questions about flannel, fleece and also minky.  I will use the flannel on my DGS's and will try the fleece on my DGGS's, since it will be the smaller of the two.  One more border on the large quilt and decisions on borders for the baby's quilt.  Both need to be done by the end of February.

Millbury, MA

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use