Top 10 Posters

Batting question with flannel fabric.

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 24 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
33 Posts
Points 805
jrcgj posted on Sun, Jan 20 2013 6:19 AM

What do you suggest? I am going to make a quilt for my son using flannel. I was thinking of using the quilters dream puff, but then thought it might be to heavy. So maybe cotton? Help please. 

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
1,514 Posts
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 7:56 AM

Be sure you wash the flannel before making the quilt.  Flannel shrinks more than anything.  I would use cotton batting like Warm & Natural.  It's light but very warm.  Also, it breathes nicely as well.  Keeps people warm, but not sweating because it won't breathe.  I used to live in upstate NY where it gets very cold in the winter and loved making flannel quilts.  I still make them even for down here in East Tn.   I have them on every bed in my house and they are well loved and used. 

Diana (Bink) in East Tn. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 8:31 AM

Both flannel and cotton batting shrink.  I wash both, the batting of course I use a light setting in the drier.

I almost exclusively use flannel on the backs of my quilts.  At least the one's I keep, or go to my daughter.  We love the comfort.   Only once have I used flannel on both sides.  I hand quilted that one, and it was difficult in some places.   Next time I will machine quilt it. 

The thin cotton battings are just that, thin.  A puffy flannel quilt sounds so comfortable.  If the pattern has lots of little pieces,  I would go with thin, but larger pieces I'd try puffy. 

My most favorite cover of all time was the plain tied puffy comforter with a flannel back given me by a friend.  It was puffy and so soft.  We completely wore it out.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013
Jeanine replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 10:39 AM

Do you want the puffy feel to the quilt?  Or are you ok with the "flat" quilt?  Anything works but you need to understand what you are wanting in the final product.  Poly battings are warmer and are great for the puffy, cuddly quilts.  Cotton breathes better but provides a flatter quilt.  Still soft, especially because of the flannel, but you just need to know what you want.

Not Ranked
Female
8 Posts
Points 120
Jeanne replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 11:31 AM

I like wool batting. It's fluffy and it keeps you oh so warm! That is all I use for lap or bed quilts.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,727 Posts
Points 437,045
Nana replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 11:48 AM

Jeanne

I love the wool batting too.  I also like the feel and drape of bamboo.  And they are both so easy to work with.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
33 Posts
Points 805
jrcgj replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 1:00 PM

I'm not sure if my son is allergic to wool, but thanks. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,529 Posts
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 6:18 PM

Is there a particular name brand of flannel that y'all use?  I want it to be nice and cuddly and of a good quality.   I'd like to use it for the backing of my DGS and soon to be DGGS Peanuts quilts, I've been making.  

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,461 Posts
Points 416,734
gini replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 10:35 PM

marie, give it the hand test.  if it feels good to your hand it will be fine.    i like to use the thicker flannels

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,529 Posts
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 9:02 AM

gini:

marie, give it the hand test.  if it feels good to your hand it will be fine.    i like to use the thicker flannels

Thanks Gini.  Another question is..........After you wash it, do you dry it on high or low heat?

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Marie I'd dry it on low heat , but thats just me. My low heat is pretty warm and I use it on almost everthing I dry . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

jrcgj:
What do you suggest? I am going to make a quilt for my son using flannel. I was thinking of using the quilters dream puff, but then thought it might be to heavy. So maybe cotton? Help please. 

I suppose it maters how old is the person receiving and where the quilt will live. In cold weather states, the wool and heavy polyester batts are used, here in So Central TX we do not even put any batt into a flannel quilt.. However, in the past I have used a loose weave flannel as a batting layer just because it was going to WA State. If your son is an adult you may consider the high-count therefore heavier weight QS flannels, if it is for a baby to toddler, I use SNUGGLE brand flannel from Joann’s exclusively. The weight is perfect & becomes softer each time it is laundered. I produce 20-30 baby receiving blankets and quilts a year, that is a sh*t load of flannel. I wash each fabrics then starch then cut sew and finish then wash again and use permapress heat dryer setting, the shrinkage of flannel is done the first time but I need to remove the starch to send out to my customers.
I wrote this information some time back in another discussion; I thought I would share with you all about proprieties of Flannel. Many people just don’t know about flannel.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

What I know about flannel.  I wrote this when there was a flannel swap, we used only QS fabrics for that swap of course, and some swappers were not aware of the cutting and shrinkage.

Flannel Properties

I was reading a few comments for flannel in the swap suggestion thread. It seems that some do not know what flannel is, so I will put a bit of info here for those in this swap. Flannel is a textile made from wool yarn or cotton. Most know flannel as used for sleepwear and baby blankets, receiving blankets are always made from cotton flannel, we wear flannel in shirts and PJ’s and we love our flannel in the winter here in Texas, I don’t but some do, have flannel sheets and pillow cases. Like all fabrics or cloth, flannel is not created equal in thread count or colorfast. Flannel will fray and shrink more than any other cloth I can think of offhand. No need to worry though if you purchase 2” more from the bolt, even at your LQS you will not be disappointed when cutting your FQ’s.
Also, color fast or not; Bright colors are heavy in dye and tend to BLEED. Pre wash to shrink and set the color.
How to prepare for this swap; wash on cool or cold temperature and dry on permapress setting, press out fold, do not stretch grain, and using whatever method you prefer find the strait of grain and trim off excess, now cut the FQ’s and you will send in great cuts. My fabric is only 42” WIDE AND YOU WILL FIND THAT IN GOOD QUALITY FLANNEL.
Flannel found in most reg fabric stores will be lighter in weight as it is mainly manufactured for sleepwear and items such as receiving blankets, pillowcases, and children outerwear. This is not what you want to quilt with, it has stretch. Quilt quality flannel will be thicker woven high count cotton, it will still shrink and fray, but you will be able to quilt with it and see wonderful results.
I hope this information helps those who want to know more about the properties of flannel cloth.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,529 Posts
Points 177,453
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 3:51 PM

Thanks Barbara, then low it is.

Caryl Anne, thank you so much for this information, now I can make a decision.  I ordered some heavier flannel which I will use to back my DGS's quilt and I'll get some Snuggle brand flannel from Joann's for my DGGS's quilt.

Now another question........Has anyone every used fleece as a backing on a childs quilt and would you recommend it?  I bought a piece to back another baby quilt but it seems to stretch so I'm afraid to use it.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014

Marie ,sorry I have no experience with fleece , I hope someone here will be able to help you .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use