Older Quilter-Get a dye cutting machine

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 46
Points 480
PKT Posted: Sat, Jan 19 2013 9:18 PM

My mom is 72, and has been ill from infections for one year.  Even when she was confused from the fever and infection, she told me she wanted to make my sister of all things, a double wedding ring quilt.  Before she got ill, my father had purchased for her a double wedding ring rotary cutter templet set.  Unfortunately, even cutting around with scissors, this would have been impossible for her.  My dad has ra so it would be difficult for him too.

I bought a dye cutting machine for her and she got all excited because she could cut the fabrics herself, or I cut the 6 layers for her in a short amount of time.  The best part is that it also puts in notches that she can line up the pieces.  As a matter of fact, she sewed the curved seams better than I did.  Of course she has been sewing a lot longer than I have.

I am so proud of her.  My dad thought after her illness she wouldn't be able to sew, and she is back in the saddle.  This quilt we are making together my sister should treasurer.  it is being made by both my mom and me.  My sister may be getting a quilt, but I am getting the most memories.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,005
PKT, this is truly a beautiful story and yes, your sis may be getting the quilt but you get the time and joy spent with your Mother! I am in a similar situation with my Mom. Each moment is a treasured moment that will stay with me forever! A blessed treasure! Thank you for sharing!

MelodyP

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,385
Points 119,276
Patti replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 2:37 PM

I love this.  What a great thing for your Mom and you to be able to work together on this.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,043
Points 169,873
Marie replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 8:39 PM

PKT, thank you for sharing such a heartwarming story, you all are winners in this.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 23,825
Points 352,597
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 1:13 AM

PKT:
I am so proud of her.  My dad thought after her illness she wouldn't be able to sew, and she is back in the saddle.  This quilt we are making together my sister should treasurer.  it is being made by both my mom and me.  My sister may be getting a quilt, but I am getting the most memories.

What a wonderful thing to do for your mother. Thanks for sharing your story.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 7:54 PM

PKT

This is an awesome story.  You are right...you are deinitely coming out on the better side of the quilt deal.  The memories of sewing with your Mom will be so special to you in all the years to come.  Enjoy every moment.  I am sure the quilt will be lovely.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 25
Points 535
tish replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 8:59 PM
This is a lovely story. I'm so glad it is working out well for her. Maybe one extra block could be made for you to frame with a picture of her quilting ... it would jog the memories when you look at it. tish
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 12,933
Points 233,972
Thea replied on Wed, Feb 27 2013 9:09 PM

PKT - you are right - you are getting treasured memories that will last forever.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 50
Points 970
Sandy replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 3:08 PM

I was never interested in quilting and saw the accuquilt go.  I purchased it and got my first bunch of dies on ebay really cheap.  I now love quilting and even purchased the studio cutter at accuquilt now I have so many dies and I have made quilts in so many different pattern and even made quilts with applique.  

I think it is great that your mother can now continue to make her quilts I am sure it makes her very happy.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,821
Points 85,145
Sukochi replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 4:34 PM

What a wonderful story. I am so glad you and your mom are bonding, even more, in this way. I pray that your sister will treasure this quilt forever.

Sukochi

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use