Top 10 Posters

still trying to figure this site out want to post to what i did today.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 615
maryann Posted: Fri, Jan 18 2013 5:21 PM

since it was 45 degrees, I trotted down to our little orchard and checked te honey bee hive that I established last year ofter capturing a swarm that flew in.  glad to find that the "girls" are still alive and making cleaning flights.  I have been worried about them as they didn't build up their numbers or food supply as good as they would have with an experienced beekeeper.  (I learned as fast as I could)  but I fed them in the fall and crossed my fingers..  If they make it another 2 months the dandelions should be in bloom   and they will be ok.  it is an exciting new expeience for me.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,403
Points 119,661
Patti replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 8:22 PM

wow, Maryann.  that sounds cool.  Are going going to get honey from your bees? 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 3,195
Points 45,395
ls2116 replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 8:38 PM

My DD bee hive didn't survive even though she fed hers.  I hope yours survive.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,124
Points 386,837
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 2:46 AM

Maryann,

if you want to post to a thread that is already going just click "reply" in someone else's post then type there.

maryann:
it is an exciting new expeience for me.

This is really cool. I don't know any bee keepers personally. You'll have to update us on how they (and you) are doing.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,760
Sukochi replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 7:39 AM

Maryann, did you track down the bee keeper where this hive of bees came from? Maybe, if he doesn't take his bees back, he would give you tips. Do you know that honey bees are endangered? They are disappearing at an alarming rate. Or, so I saw a bee keeper say, in an interview, on the tube. Got luck with them. There is an apple house here ( they sell fried pies, all sorts of jams, jellies, cider, fresh off the tree apples, fudge, etc. They built a doulbe window, in the front of the building, with space between for a hive. It has a  hole in the front for the bees to come and go. The hive is huge. The bees pollenate the orchard. It is so much fun to watch them come and go and working inside the hive. Fascinating. Some people have to be careful. If they are allergic. But, as long as you don't swat at them, they don't bother you. They are just too busy.

Sukochi

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 615
maryann replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 2:07 PM

patti, from everything  I've read I should not have expect any honey the first year anyway.  but If the girls make it thru the rest of the winter they should have good start this year and I will be expecting honey late summer and fall.  I'm going to add another hive with a purchased package of bees in early april.  I want honey to use as barter for all the help the family and friends give me.  Husband helps me with the heavy work  and john tractor work.  But the animals, gardens, and orchard are my hobby.  not his.  Lots of tasks on not "on his list".  I need more than just meat and veggies to trade for help.  maryann

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 615
maryann replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 2:17 PM

LaJuan, there really isn't a way to tell which beeyard my honeys came from.  bees aren't branded like livestock.  with bees the one who captures the swarm can either give them away or keep them.  we've had 3 swarms within quarter of  amile this year. one stopped here the other two took up residence in the next door neighbors empty hives.  We have an active beekeepers club here which I joined last summer.  Maryann

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 615
maryann replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 2:35 PM

Is2116, I fed sugar syrup in the late fall,  and bought bee pattys with vitamins etc from Mann Lake for feeding in the winter.  so far , so good.  what did your DD feed her's ?  is shse planning on replacing them.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,403
Points 119,661
Patti replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 2:42 PM

My DH is an entomologist.  I was out with him one day checking codling moth traps.  The bees had not been removed from the orchard yet and there were swarms of them.   He is allergic to bee stings.  Well one bee decided he was going after DH, as he got in the car, the bee got in too.  He left the car, so did the bee.  It was obvious he was going after DH and nothing else.  So he had to lose this bee.  DH ran down the orchard row, bee in pursuit.  DH quickly ducked between the trees and the bee kept going straight.  Then DH walked back to the car.  I couldn't believe it.  How does someone that big hide from something that small.  DH did decide that he wasn't going back in that orchard until the next week.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 22
Points 615
maryann replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 3:03 PM

remind me to always wear my beesuit.   I get a bit lazy and foulhardy.  I am allergic to bees and don't always have my sting pen in my pocket either.  My Italians are quite docile but the Hospital is 20 minutes away. 

you are lucky to have a resident entomologist. Mighty h;ndy guy to have around the gardens.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.