Oh no! A hole!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
47 Posts
Points 1,585
Jesse posted on Thu, Jan 17 2013 6:33 PM

I'm almost done quilting a quilt ( in a deadline) and I just noticed a small hole that is smaller than an eraser on a pencil and I am unsure how to fix it. Any ideas? 

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,471 Posts
Points 116,810

Jesse:

I'm almost done quilting a quilt ( in a deadline) and I just noticed a small hole that is smaller than an eraser on a pencil and I am unsure how to fix it. Any ideas?

Jesse, can you post a photo?  Depending on the fabric and design, you might be able to applique a tiny flower or bug over the top. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,583 Posts
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 6:55 PM

Jesse:

I tore a hole in the back of one of my quilts when it jammed in the machine....I appliqued a butterfly on the back side with some of the fabric left over from the piecing of the front.  I'm thinking of appliqueing a butterfly on the back of all of my quilts as my signature.

Not Ranked
Female
47 Posts
Points 1,585
Jesse replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 6:58 PM

It's a tshirt qult and itsl the border around tshirt.:(

Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,471 Posts
Points 116,810

Jesse:

It's a tshirt qult and itsl the border around tshirt.:(

Ugh, that's not good. I don't suppose there is enough stretch to bring the hole together without distorting? Any leftovers from that particular tshirt that you could carefully applique a plug in the hole? Then maybe the quilting would disguise it? 

Oh my, doesn't sound good. I did have a gap in a quilt I was taking into the county fair for judging. (Harry Potter) The seam had pulled apart and I didn't see it until the quilting was done and the border on. There was no way to stitch it so I took some fabric glue on the tip of a needle and carefully pulled the fabric over and secured it with the tiny glue drop. Didn't even show when I was done. If it was going to be washed a lot it may not hold, but it's hanging on my wall.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
654 Posts
Points 12,395

How about a label in that area? I always embroider a label for all my quilts, it could be your new signature! 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,358 Posts
Points 414,959
gini replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:25 PM

or an appliqued bug, butterfly,   flower, that's how i hide my holes

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
1,498 Posts
Points 30,475
Diana replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 4:52 AM

I have an idea....since it's a t-shirt quilt, how about doing an old fashioned darning patch like they used to use in socks.  It will be by hand, but if it's very small, shouldn't take too long or difficult.  It would fit in with the fabric, and look like it was a t-shirt patch.  Just a thought.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.   

Top 150 Contributor
Female
654 Posts
Points 12,395

This is a great idea!  You have to post pictures if it after its finished. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,057 Posts
Points 13,695
Carey replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 8:29 AM

MM a button or a logo from another shirt that's small enough maybe might work as well.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 3:58 PM

If you have embroidery mach or if you embroider...just embroider OOPS! on it.  No explanation,,,nada, zip!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use