Top 10 Posters

What is your favorite applique method / technique?

Page 2 of 3 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 33 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,767
Points 420,319
gini replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 7:59 AM

gale i love working with wool. aurifil has some great 50% wool thread that makes a nice button hole stitch on the wool fabric.      gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 112
Points 1,771

I am also a glutton for punishment but hand applique is the only thing that I  do.  I find it very relaxing andI have a better control of my stitches than with a macine, but they certainly are both beautiful when finished

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 12:45 PM

Thanks for the link and the info about the thread. I'll have to find some of that. I just bought a little sample pack for now (this is expensive stuff) but if I like it I'll get more.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,199
Points 253,512
Thea replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 1:12 PM

Gale:
I bought some wool felt so I'm going to hand stitch all of that when I find a pattern I like. That'll be blanket stitched.

Gale, I envy you in that you can use wool.  I am so allergic to wool that I can't get near it but love all the designs that I see with it. 

I think you would like the freezer paper method of doing needle turn - you turn all the edges under and then place it where you want it and sew it down.  when done you can't tell that the person did not turn it under by the needle method and it looks so good.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 350

I like applique better than just plain piecing.  I have a small baltimore album quilt top completed. I havent decided how ti quilt it.   I like the machine fusible method because it goes so fast,   I use the blanket stitch or the satin stitch.  My hand applique work looks really crappy.  I hope to improve on it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 8:56 PM

Diane

I would love to see a picture of your quilt top...I love Baltimore Album quilts.  Plan  on making one of my own one of these days. 

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,120
Points 386,802
Kris replied on Fri, Mar 5 2010 9:09 PM

Me too. I want to see it. I've fallen deeply in love with appliqué and aspire to make a really nice Baltimore Album quilt one day.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 2
Points 40
Hilda replied on Wed, Jan 19 2011 10:12 AM

Althea, I would love to know this method.  I love applique.  Thank you.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,767
Points 420,319
gini replied on Wed, Jan 19 2011 2:08 PM

hidla, you cut out your shapes in the freezer paper the exact size as rthe pattern, and iron them onto the fabric.   cut the fabric with the paper on it and leave a seam allowance.   from here you can iron the edges to give them a crease and then applique or you can just turn under the seam allowance over the paper.  then you cut the fabeic in the back and pull out the paper     gini

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,767
Points 420,319
gini replied on Wed, Jan 19 2011 2:09 PM

and hilda, welcome to our group    gini

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 66
Points 1,810

I do machine applique.  Arthritis in my hands make hand quilting very difficult. 

I started out applique sweatshirts and have progressed to baby quilts. 

Yellow Rose (Rosalie)

Yellow Rose

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220

I have a question regarding using freezer paper and needle turn.  I understand how to use it for normal size pieces, but where I have a problem is for the small pieces like petals on a flower.  If I iron the freezer paper to the back and cut the fabric with 1/8", I get fraying before I can get the edge turned under with the needle.  The petals are too small to use 1/4" .  If you are able to get it turned under and stitched down successfully, how would you get the freezer paper out... or would you leave it in?

I've done some applique over the years, but I have not done alot... mostly machine applique.  I want to learn how to do hand turn applique and have it look good.  I'm doing pretty good, but I'm having little frays sticking out on some of my flower petals.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,790
Nana replied on Sun, Jan 23 2011 8:07 PM

Grandma Sal

Make a small slit behind the appliqued piece and take a pair of tweezers to catch your freezer paper and pull it thru the slit.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Jan 23 2011 8:10 PM

Since I last posted to this thread, I've had the opportunity to take an applique class from Beth Ferrier, the instructor Thea is so fond of.  A new product available from C&T makes her "hand applique by machine" technique even better.  They now make wash-away applique sheets.  You use them like freezer paper, but you don't have to slice the back of your work to pull them out.  Just soak in warm water, and the applique sheet dissolves.  I'm not a fan of hand-anything, so this is the ultimate method for me!  Look for Beth Ferrier's "More Hand Applique by Machine" book.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 243
Points 6,220

Nana:
Make a small slit behind the appliqued piece and take a pair of tweezers to catch your freezer paper and pull it thru the slit.

I knew that works with the larger pieces, but most of the flower petals are less than 1/4" wide... so your saying it will be the same for these small pieces. The slit may only have to be big enough so you can get the needle in there and snag the freezer paper somehow.  It might be more difficult to get tweezers into the smaller slits.

Well my next question is when I trim the tips down to eliminate some of the bulk I get some of those frayed whiskers there also... I know I am probably trimming too much, but is this something you just get better at with practice?

I would really like to find some place I could take a hands on class, but I have not found anything nearby that has needle turn applique.

Page 2 of 3 (34 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.