"Corps of Discovery" Quilt

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 8 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 190
Nella 2 Posted: Wed, Jan 16 2013 7:55 PM

Can someone help?  I started the Hancock Fabrics 2005 block-of-the-month quilt, "Corps of Discovery".  I finished all the blocks, then put it away for later, thinking I had purchased enough fabrics to finish it.  I just got it out (New Year's resolution) to finish it and discovered I did not have enough of the background fabric.  It's a mottled tan and cream with maps and  excerpts from the Lewis and Clark journals in black.   I know I could finish it with a different fabric, but I'm not ready to give up yet on finding the original fabric.  It's just so much more interesting.  Does anyone have any they would like to sell--any amount, even a few inches would help as it will be cut into strips anyway.  I've spent days on the internet with no luck.  I think my only hope is a fellow quilter willing to share.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,720
Points 121,425

Nella. I think I found it on eBay. Try this link  http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=fabric+lewis+clark&_sacat=0&_from=R40

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi Nella, it is nice to meet you.  

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,049
Points 20,985
Carol W replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 9:20 PM

Hi Nella!  I did this quilt and do have some fabric left over.  I have a little of the fabric you described, which was used as the background of some of the blocks.  I have quite a bit of the fabric used to set the quilt together, according to the pattern it is the one with the allover animal prints.  If you are planning to make it according to the pattern I am sure there is enough to complete your quilt top, however if you have chosen to use the other lighter fabric what I have may not help any but you are welcome to it.  I also have some of the feather fabric if needed.

Carol W. in Arkansas

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,905
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 9:21 PM

Nella

Can't help with the fabric but good luck on your search.  Hope you will share a pic of your project.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,428
Points 416,059
gini replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 11:55 AM

hi nella, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 190
Nella 2 replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 1:40 PM

I could go with either of the prints.  How much do you have?  What would you want for it? I'm totally new to this type of communication, so how would we arrange a sale?  Thanks so much for your willingness to help.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 190
Nella 2 replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 1:50 PM

Thanks for your help, Judy.  This is the same fabric.  I can't believe how excited I am to find it.  I've never done any kind of chat before, but this is great--so many people eager to help.  I hope I never have to work this hard to find a fabric again; but if I do this will be the first place I'll go.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Welcome Nella.  Glad it looks like you have been able to find fabric to finish your quilt.  Don't forget to post a picture of the quilt when you finish

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 190
Nella 2 replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:00 PM

I got your E-mail from this evening, and I'm definitely interested in buying the animal print fabric.  I think I have enough of the feather print.  However, I've never been a part of a chat forum and I don't know  how to proceed.  I don't want to put personal info where it can be read by everyone.  What should I do next?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,428
Points 416,059
gini replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:20 PM

nella, you click on the persons name you want to chat with and "friend" them.   they need to accept,  then you can hold private conversations. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 8:07 AM

Nella, welcome.   glad someone here was able to help you out.

[Ava, Missouri

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Kathy278 replied on Sun, Mar 3 2013 10:51 AM

Hi Nella, I too am working on this quilt. I'm on block 7 did you use the angler? and was there more instructions to this; the paper cover states for the cutting instructions "to cut as directed on pattern pieces" I have no more instructions in this packet. So I quess I'm asking if you could share yours. Thank you for taking the time to read this Kathy

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 190
Nella 2 replied on Wed, Mar 6 2013 5:44 PM

Kathy, sorry I'm so slow getting back to you.  I need to check my e-mail more often.  Block 7 is the "Crossed Canoes" and I had a lot of trouble getting the corners right on that one.  I did not use an angler because I didn't have one, so I just followed the instructions in the pattern.  I  did mine back in 2005, but I ended up ripping out one corner and doing it over when I got the quilt back out in January.  Good luck with yours.  I do have all the directions and would be happy to share whatever you need.  Do you have the finishing instructions or do you also need some of the blocks?  Let me know and I'll try to make that happen.  My computer skills are pretty poor, but I'm learning.  I'll probably need help sending instructions.  I've now finished all the blocks (back in 2005) and have all the sashings done (thanks to Carol W. helping me acquire the background fabric).  I just finished all the silhouettes, including satin-stitching around all the edges.  That was time-consuming.  I'm not sure I would put them on if I had it do over.  They're pretty detailed (check out the fringe on the jackets).  I'll try to post a picture when I'm finished if I can figure out how.  I've always joked that I don't make quilts--just quilt tops, but I'm determined to change that starting with this one.  Let me know what instructions you need and I'll be glad to help.  Nella

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
JoycePM replied on Sat, Mar 23 2013 3:35 PM

Hi Nella,

I too have pulled this quilt out to attempt to finish it.  I have also misplaced the finishing directions.  Is there a way I could possibly get a copy?  Did you have any problems with the finishing directions?  All those years ago, when I was new to the craft, I took a look at the directions and remember that  I felt there was an error in the cutting.  Did you experience this or do I choke that up to not being able to read the directions.  So I set it aside.  If you would be willing to share the finishing directions one more time, I would appreciate it.    Thank you. Joyce 

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use