What machine are you working with???

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
47 Posts
Points 1,585
Jesse posted on Wed, Jan 16 2013 8:50 AM

I have a couple sewing machines one is an old Montgomery Wards machine that my grandmother gave me when i learned to sew ( it was hers when she was younger) and a Brother that I bought a year or so ago from Walmart. It isn't computerized but is digital. What is everyone else working with, why do you like it? I'm looking to get another machine that will allow me to do more and take my creations to the next level. 

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 145
Jo replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 10:49 PM

My original machine was a nice Singer that I received as a gift in the 1980s.  I will use it for basic sewing and paper piecing.  I have also recently acquired my mom's older Kenmare machine in a cabinet that would be nice for paper piecing and basic sewing also.  My newest purchase, however, was a Bernina Quilters Edition 440.  The gals in my local quilt guild and at the local fabric shop steered me towards this brand because of the metal workings, availability of local servicing and options of free motion quilting and embroidery.  I have not yet purchased the embroidery module, but that would be an option.  I sometimes feel I spent way more than I needed to...and that another brand would have been sufficient.  But, if I continue to quilt and become as creative as I hope...this is the machine to have.  I need to take the time to practice free motion quilting in order to get a feel for the BSR foot that was included with my machine.  I'm sure the possibilities are endless.  I have found that watching www.youtube.com tutorials are an excellent resource.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
129 Posts
Points 2,280
Sherry replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 8:10 AM

i have a janome dc3050 that my dh bought me after i had hand surgery and had just started quilting (about 6 years ago). i love it. it doesn't have all the bells and whistles, but it is computerized so it has lots of stitches (and what do you need besides a straight stitch for the most part?!). easy to use and goes to retreat with me several times a year. at said retreat the majority of the women use janome.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (17 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use