What machine are you working with???

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 16 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
47 Posts
Points 1,585
Jesse posted on Wed, Jan 16 2013 8:50 AM

I have a couple sewing machines one is an old Montgomery Wards machine that my grandmother gave me when i learned to sew ( it was hers when she was younger) and a Brother that I bought a year or so ago from Walmart. It isn't computerized but is digital. What is everyone else working with, why do you like it? I'm looking to get another machine that will allow me to do more and take my creations to the next level. 

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,270 Posts
Points 35,195

Jessie I am a Brother fan.  Dollar for Dollar you can not beat them in my opinion.  I have a Quattro 6000D which is an emb. machine that I have had for about two years (maybe a little longer)  When the Quanttro II came out I was able to update my software and not have to buy the newest machine.  I have a Brother SQ 9000 that is a very light weight machine that I can take with me to Hospice quilting.  Recently it has been at my quilt studio and is used daily. It is a computerized machine and uses all the feet and bobbins of my bigger machine.  Cost was under 200.00.   I also have a Brother that is over 30 years old.  It is mechanical and still sews as it always did.   Brother has good on line and phone support.   But if thinking of a new machine, first think about what you are going to do with it.  Then you will know what features to look for which will effect the cost.   Please research,  My Brother 6000 is the same machine as the Baby Lock Elissimo (in fact Brother makes the Elissimo for baby lock)  The price of the Brother is half of what the Baby Lock is.   Happy Hunting and I hope this helps.

Granny M

Quilting 

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
47 Posts
Points 1,585
Jesse replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 9:07 AM

I have the brother sq 9000! I like it but I want to be spoiled and get one that cuts the thread! There is another one (Brother) that is also an embroidery machine and I think I may try that one. I would love to add that function into m sewing room.  Thanks for the info! :)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
293 Posts
Points 4,535
Mary789 replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 10:05 AM

Jesse, I have had the Brother Laura Ashley NX-2000 for a little over a year and I have enjoyed sewing and quilting with this wonderful machine.  It has many stitches with size options.  Lots of feet are included.  This machine is very similar to the Baby Lock Symphony but more affordable.  There is more than one way to sew a 1/4 seam using more than one foot.  It is very intuitive.  I am always finding new things to do with this machine.  I have done quilting with the walking foot and also fmq with the fmq foot.  It has about 9 inches to the right of the needle.  Brother has a couple of new models out that also look terrific.  It has a separate spool pin and motor for bobbin winding.  Great lighting and auto thread cutter.   I paid $2000 for my machine last year.  You might be able to get a better price for it now that they have the 2 new models out. 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,778 Posts
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 10:19 AM

I use a Janome 6600,I love my machine . I have all the bells and whistles,and it has a nice size thorat sapce for quilting.  I recommend you try aout several machines before you make a decision ,and find one that works well for you .. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
24 Posts
Points 485

I have the NX2000 Laura Ashley as well and I love it!  I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for an all around sewing quilting machine.  I use it daily along with another machine I have The Brother Quattro2.

I bought the Laura Ashley last year....and the Quattro2  I won in a contest.  I love them both and use them both pretty equally.

Happy sewing!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580

Hi Jesse,

I have a Bernina. It is a work horse. My stepmother passed it on to me when she died. I love it. The biggest problem with Berninas is that any accessories are very expensive. I was looking to get a quilting foot for it and it is priced at $65.00 for just one foot. I was also looking to get a manual (I lost mine) and the cost would have been over $25.00. Luckily I found it. See what happens when you clean your sewing room. I would look at the price of accessories to add to your sewing experience before you decide on one brand.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Hi MorelCabinCreations, it is nice to meet you.  

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

I have a Janome 6600 and a Brother 1500S - they are both wonderful machines. The brother I bought to put on my quilt frame before I purchased my Fun Quilter. I now use the Brother for piecing, I also use the Janome for this. The Brother only does straight stitching and neither of my machines have an open arm. I gave my Viking, which has an open arm, to my daughter and I miss it every once in awhile. I don't do  enough sewing that requires an open arm for it to be a big deal. I would definitely recommend either of these machine, but the 6600 has way more features and stitches.   

Try out as many as you can and try to figure out what features you cannot live without and how much you are willing to spend. One thing you may want to look into is more throat space, both of my machines have a 9.5" throat, but since I got mine several companies have come out with larger throats, the extra room sure makes working with quilts easier. Most importantly have fun and get the best machine you can afford. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,542 Posts
Points 51,250
Ginny replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 11:35 AM

Jesse,  I have the Babylock Symphony and absolutely love it.  The automatic threader does an awesome job, and the automatic cutter is the bomb-love it. Cuts the threads so nice and short.  I got mine at a sewing and quilting show and paid just under $1800 for it .  It makes everything go so quickly and easily.  Has a larger throat space also.  Every time I go in to use her, I tell Baby how much I love her.    Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,720 Posts
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 11:50 AM

Jesse

I have a Bernina that I love but the throat space is very small.  It is now dedicated to just embroidery.  I also have the Janome 7700 and I love it.  This Janome has an 11 in throat and needle down function as well as the thread cutter.  Great machine.

My biggest suggestion in upgrading is to decide which features you can't live without.   Get the most throat space that you can afford.   And buy from a reputable dealer with service on site.  As far as brands go....all of the big brand machines are excellent machines and will give you great service.  It is most important to have a dealer that will stand behind his product.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,449 Posts
Points 176,348
Marie replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 4:47 PM

I have the Janome 7700 and love it.

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
90 Posts
Points 2,015
I have the Bernina 440 QE as well as the Brother Duetta 4500D, they are both sewing and embroidery machines...they are both great machines, the only thing I do not like about the Bernina 440 is that if you want to embroider on it, you have to hook it up to your computer where the other machine you do not have to do that. I got a really good deal on the Bernina and I bought it because I needed a smaller machine to take to classes. It seems the more bells and whistles the machines have now the bigger they are which means they are also pretty heavy. Try out all the machines that are in your budget and ask lots of questions. I would buy from a local dealer so you have a place that will offer support, instructions and tune-up/repair for your machine. Good luck and have fun!!
Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,656 Posts
Points 136,082

I have a Janome 7700, I did have a 6600, but i found the throat space to small also if you do other type of sewing the 6600 doesn't have a free arm so makes it very difficult to hem or do sleeves, i also make clothes for dolls so that is something to think about.

[Ava, Missouri

Not Ranked
Female
22 Posts
Points 295

I have a Quattro 6000 that my hubby bought me a couple of years ago for Mother's Day.  I absolutely love that machine.  It has an upgrade available but I haven't gotten it yet.  I'm still learning everything the machine can do without the upgrade.  It is awesome for piecing and quilting and I use the embroidery unit to make my quilt labels.  I also have  a Husqvarna Lily that I've had for years.  It's my workhorse machine.  If one of my guys asks me to sew the straps they use to tie on the salt-spreader, I use that machine...not my baby the Quattro, but I used the Lily for years to quilt.  I just love the Quattro because the lighting and the larger throat space makes it so much easier to machine quilt my quilts.  I have to make the quilt from beginning to end or I don't feel like I made it.  They say the Quattro is the same machine as the Babylock Ellisimo.  Brother makes both machines but the Brother machines come with Disney embroideries and I think the Babylock's come with Nancy Zieman's embroideries and the Brother's cost alot less.  If you are going to quilt your tops, I would look for a machine that has the bigger throat area.  It really does make a difference.  Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use