Top 10 Posters

What kind of batting and backing is best for baby quilts?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 80
Hughes20 posted on Tue, Jan 15 2013 6:51 PM

Hi im new here and new to quilting. I love it!! I'm making a couple baby quilts and I don't want them to be stiff I want them to have good drape, comfy and cozy but not too hot. Something that can be used all year round and they need to be durable through many washes as its for a baby and of course I want it to last years and years! So what is the best batting and backing for my baby quilts? Thanks :)

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,847 Posts
Points 85,755

I have only ever used cotton bakcing bacric and cotton batting. I know some who use Minkie backing fabric, or flannel. Just up to you really.  Any quilt should be soft, not stiff. I have never seen a stiff quilt.  There are still cotton quilts out there 100 years after they are made. 

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,188 Posts
Points 15,900

Welcome, Hughes ! I have used flannel for my backing and when making an all flannel quilt I sometimes do not add any batting at all, It depends on the climate Im sending them to. If i use batting I like high loft poly or low loft poly for softness and flexibility. Hope this helps !    Susan

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,847 Posts
Points 85,755

Susan, have you had any problems with flannel stretching while you were sewing with it? I would love to make a flannel quilt but am kinda afraid of it.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
555 Posts
Points 8,770
Joyce replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 8:12 PM

Hi , my friend made baby quilts from flannel and they were pretty and so soft and cuddly.  She didn't mention having a problem with stretching.  I would get a good flannel.  Good luck.

Joyce

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,797

Welcome Hughes20!

I like Minkie for backing baby quilts.  With that, I use a single layer of flannel in place of batting.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,583 Posts
Points 75,695
Karla replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 8:52 PM

Most of the baby quilts I have made have been from flannel, front and back.  I normally use Warm and Natural batting, but did try a bamboo batting once, and it worked great also.  I really haven't had any problem with the fabric stretching.  Most of my baby quilts have gone to colder climates like the Dakotas, Iowa, and northern Oregon.  A few have gone to Northern California and 3 have gone to North Carolina which is a warmer climate, I think, but I've never been there so I don't really know.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Hi hughes20, it is nice to meet you.

I have used cotton and flannel for baby quilt backs, they both work well.  

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Not Ranked
44 Posts
Points 495

Hi, I have made many baby quilts with flannel front and back. I usually use poly batting because of its washability. I do make a little wider seam allowance with flannel because of its thickness. Good Luck! Katy

Top 75 Contributor
1,497 Posts
Points 30,470
Diana replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 4:37 AM

I like flannel for backing for baby quilts.  It's so soft.  I make sure that the flannel is pre-washed because it does shrink more than the cotton.    I love making flannel quilts and make deeper seams.  A lot of my quilts end up in the north where it gets a lot colder than down here in Tn. so they are well loved and used.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,188 Posts
Points 15,900

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:

Susan, have you had any problems with flannel stretching while you were sewing with it? I would love to make a flannel quilt but am kinda afraid of it.

Sukochi, I make lots of flannel quilts, and yes it does stretch a little. Handle gently, use 14 needle, polyester thread, and pin, pin, pin. It realiy seems to help when i pin. And no steam in iron.  Hope this helps!   Susan

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use