Top 10 Posters

fmq

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
51 Posts
Points 915
Dyen4fun posted on Tue, Jan 15 2013 3:59 PM

I'm pretty new to this group.  I read somewhere that I should make a 10" sandwich and practice 1/2 hr a day on fmq.  Is there somewhere to get started?  Do I make up my own designs and post them?  Is there someone to ask for guidance?  Or what......................................................?  Thanks.

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,408 Posts
Points 40,125
Mimi replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 4:26 PM

Hi and welcome dyen4fun.  If you go to the QCA home page and click on groups there is a fmq group you can join.  Barbara is a great leader and she'll help you learn everything you ever wanted to know about FMQ.  Good luck

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,589

Hi Dyen4fun, it is nice to meet you.  

As to your question, I'm not exactly sure what you are asking, but I bought a DVD by Ricky Timms when I first started and he gave instruction that he says works for long arm and FMQ on your domestic. His advice was to get a white board and some FMQ patterns and just doodle. His theory is that it trains your brain and it will translate to your machine or LA. I did it and I honestly think it did help.  

Also, check out the Fear No More FMQ group in the groups section, there is a lot of info there. Good luck and have fun. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,406 Posts
Points 19,540

You should also check out You Tube. There are many, many tutorials to pick from. I personally like Leah Day, but I have also checked out the other tutorials to see and get different information and help. I put what I think is the best of all the information together and practice, practice and practice some more. I also took a fmq class at my LQS. She said if you practice every day for 3 weeks, you should get an AHa moment. Of course, I didn't believer her so I tested out her theory. It worked, but I still practice all the time. If I don't practice all the time, I seem to forget what I'm supposed to do. I don't know if anyone else has this problem or if it is just me. Probably just me. Good luck on your fmq practice.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,776 Posts
Points 247,884

Dyen4fun, I'm Barbara I host the FMQ group here . Please come and visit us .I have lots of good info there for someone just starting out and I'm more then willing to help with what I can . We are doing the first Crafsty BOM sampler right now and if you don't have the fabric or if you did't make the  blocks you are still more then weclome to dothe design on your pratice blocks .. this is the first two bloxk we have done so far .these are all very simple diesgns andeasy to do with pratice.  Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 8:23 AM

WOW Barbara, I love it.

Are you working on the printed fabric?  

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 8:23 AM

Did you make 2 of the same BOM?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,776 Posts
Points 247,884

Annie I bought the fabric that was recommended from the class ,I did this to use it in the FMQ group . I got 3 yards of it the amount that was recommended. I really did't have the time to do the BOM when it was being done .. Iknow shame on me ..LOL   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,589

Very nice Barbara. I cannot even do that on my frame :) 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,776 Posts
Points 247,884

thanks Spud. I've been working on learning this now for a year and I think i've got it just need to keep my pratice up ..LOL   Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,589

Barbara:
I think i've got it just need to keep my pratice up

Yep, that darn practice. Seriously, it takes me a couple of days, at least, to get back up to speed on the FQ if I don't use it for awhile.  We need practice no matter what we are doing. :) 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 1:01 PM

Barbara:
Iknow shame on me ..LOL   Barbara

No "shame on me" from me, I actually like the spoon flower print better that my BOM blocks.  I think it's a great way to practice all of Leah's techniques!  I wish I had it.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
19,776 Posts
Points 247,884

Annie ,I do like the fabric as well ,it was pricy ,but I needed it . I'm using the blocks in the FMQ group. I have changed some of the designs in the blocks cause I didnt  care for some of hers that she used. As with the above bottom block .. its 's been fun to work on.. Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 50 Contributor
2,629 Posts
Points 36,935
ls2116 replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 3:14 PM

fmq looks great!  

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,249 Posts
Points 172,978
Marie replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 5:07 PM

Barbara:

Dyen4fun, I'm Barbara I host the FMQ group here . Please come and visit us .I have lots of good info there for someone just starting out and I'm more then willing to help with what I can . We are doing the first Crafsty BOM sampler right now and if you don't have the fabric or if you did't make the  blocks you are still more then weclome to dothe design on your pratice blocks .. this is the first two bloxk we have done so far .these are all very simple diesgns andeasy to do with pratice.  Barbara

Barbara, this is incredible!  And you're worried I'm not going to like what you did with my quilt??????  

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use