Top 10 Posters

short arm quilter

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 4 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55
corky705@yahoo.com posted on Tue, Jan 15 2013 3:59 AM

Have a mega quilter and inspira frame, purchased it used,  the machine keeps breaking the top thread. any advice.

• | Post Points: 50

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Hi Corky, it is nice to meet you. Your thread breakage could be a number of things check and/or change your needle, re-thread your machine to make sure that the thread is not hanging up somewhere, take your bobbin out and check it (make sure when you put it back in the case that it is coming off the bobbin smoothly) .  If none of these are your problem.  Every time I've had a breakage problem, the thread was hanging up somewhere along the way from the cone to the needle. 

Also, in the groups section there is a Longarmers Share group and you can probably get some more info there. If you are still having problems, come back and ask again and we will keep trying to help you figure it out. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 25
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,060
Answered (Verified) Jacy replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 12:17 AM
Verified by corky705@yahoo.com

I used to have a brother 1500 on a handiquilter frame. Have you tried different kinds/brands of thread, I had a lot less breakage when I switched to Aurifil 50wt thread. Also my thread tended to break when I sewed over seam intersections where there were multiple layers of fabric, so I tried to avoid sewing through those thick areas.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

Don't use cotton thread.  Try a 40 weight poly like Glide.  Make sure the tension is set correctly and you are using a large enough needle...at least 14or16.  Make sure the thread is not old or dry.  Clean out lint from your thread path and bobbin.  

• | Post Points: 40
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,585 Posts
Points 75,810
Answered (Verified) Karla replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 10:09 AM

I also have a Mega Quilter on an Inspira frame and have had the same problem.  Every suggestion you have received is valid and could be the problem.  I have found that when I use a brand new spool of thread that has been encased in the plastic, I don't have much of a problem.  When I use an older spool of thread I get a lot of breakage.  My best results have been using a 40 wt. cotton thread vs. the 50 wt., but I have to admit that I have not tried using the Glide thread that Jeanine recommends.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Hi Corky, it is nice to meet you. Your thread breakage could be a number of things check and/or change your needle, re-thread your machine to make sure that the thread is not hanging up somewhere, take your bobbin out and check it (make sure when you put it back in the case that it is coming off the bobbin smoothly) .  If none of these are your problem.  Every time I've had a breakage problem, the thread was hanging up somewhere along the way from the cone to the needle. 

Also, in the groups section there is a Longarmers Share group and you can probably get some more info there. If you are still having problems, come back and ask again and we will keep trying to help you figure it out. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,060
Answered (Verified) Jacy replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 12:17 AM

I used to have a brother 1500 on a handiquilter frame. Have you tried different kinds/brands of thread, I had a lot less breakage when I switched to Aurifil 50wt thread. Also my thread tended to break when I sewed over seam intersections where there were multiple layers of fabric, so I tried to avoid sewing through those thick areas.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013

Don't use cotton thread.  Try a 40 weight poly like Glide.  Make sure the tension is set correctly and you are using a large enough needle...at least 14or16.  Make sure the thread is not old or dry.  Clean out lint from your thread path and bobbin.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,585 Posts
Points 75,810
Answered (Verified) Karla replied on Wed, Jan 16 2013 10:09 AM

I also have a Mega Quilter on an Inspira frame and have had the same problem.  Every suggestion you have received is valid and could be the problem.  I have found that when I use a brand new spool of thread that has been encased in the plastic, I don't have much of a problem.  When I use an older spool of thread I get a lot of breakage.  My best results have been using a 40 wt. cotton thread vs. the 50 wt., but I have to admit that I have not tried using the Glide thread that Jeanine recommends.

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55

Thank you all for your reply, some suggestions I have tried, and the rest I definetly will try.  I was very excited to start, but very frustrated when it kept breaking thread.  Local quilt shop didnt have some of the thread recommended, had to order it on line, anxiously awaiting delivery.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use