Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 165
daffodella posted on Tue, Jan 15 2013 1:36 AM

TECHNIQUE CHOSEN:

Primarily hand-turn applique

Either machine or hand quilting 

KEY QUESTION:

Will hand-turn applique be durable enough for a baby quilt?  (assuming I do it right)

BACKGROUND INFO:

I've made a personal commitment to myself to create an applique baby quilt (crib size 45X60) for my first grandchild.  DUE DATE of quilt:  Baby Shower, March 2.  My oldest son created the design (his baby gift to his younger brother, who is the new Dad).  Because of this, switching to a printed dog fabric and simply quilting around it isn't on my current list of options at this time. My contribution will be the finished quilt.  

I'm new -- new at quilting, new at sewing, and new to the forum.  A bit scared and, unfortunately, a perfectionist, but I've committed to get over this, at least for this first quilt, because meeting the deadline is essential. 

The design:

A bulldog (cartoon-like) dreaming of bones (cloud #1 = 1 bone, cloud #2 = 2 bones, cloud #3 = 3 bones, etc. through 5 bones) while he's sitting in a dog house.  I've tried to simplify the design:

- large blue background (sky)

- large green bottom (grass)

- 5 clouds

- 15 bones 

- 1 bulldog (HOPEFULLY CUTE) with spiked collar, although that's optional

- 1 dog house (found some wood-looking fabric but am willing to piece together some solid-colored boards) and some great colorful fabric that looks like tiles

- 1 moon and about 8 stars

- 3 to 5 inch border

- binding (same fabric as the "tiles" on the dog house)

My first quilting class is tomorrow evening.  I attempted to take this class prior to Christmas.  The first two weeks I didn't have a machine. Then I bought a used Viking Husquavarna Designer 1, which needed repair and was in the shop for two weeks, so I missed the last classes.  Hopefully this will be better!

WHY I'M THINKING HAND-TURNED VS. FUSED:  Many forums (and Martha Stewart) have recommended not using fused if the item will be washed repeatedly.  I'd like to shoot for a traditional look, although the design I've chosen is far from this.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANY REPLIES!

All Replies

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,059 Posts
Points 13,715
Carey replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 8:31 AM

I've been working a lot so sorry for the late response. Noone's quilts are ever perfect they just look that way because we know how to hide mistakes we made lol.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
81 Posts
Points 1,095
Qwkslver replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 11:50 AM

I always use fusible and my quilts are washable.  Mostly baby quits.  Yours should be fine.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 2 of 2 (17 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use