Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 165
daffodella posted on Tue, Jan 15 2013 1:36 AM

TECHNIQUE CHOSEN:

Primarily hand-turn applique

Either machine or hand quilting 

KEY QUESTION:

Will hand-turn applique be durable enough for a baby quilt?  (assuming I do it right)

BACKGROUND INFO:

I've made a personal commitment to myself to create an applique baby quilt (crib size 45X60) for my first grandchild.  DUE DATE of quilt:  Baby Shower, March 2.  My oldest son created the design (his baby gift to his younger brother, who is the new Dad).  Because of this, switching to a printed dog fabric and simply quilting around it isn't on my current list of options at this time. My contribution will be the finished quilt.  

I'm new -- new at quilting, new at sewing, and new to the forum.  A bit scared and, unfortunately, a perfectionist, but I've committed to get over this, at least for this first quilt, because meeting the deadline is essential. 

The design:

A bulldog (cartoon-like) dreaming of bones (cloud #1 = 1 bone, cloud #2 = 2 bones, cloud #3 = 3 bones, etc. through 5 bones) while he's sitting in a dog house.  I've tried to simplify the design:

- large blue background (sky)

- large green bottom (grass)

- 5 clouds

- 15 bones 

- 1 bulldog (HOPEFULLY CUTE) with spiked collar, although that's optional

- 1 dog house (found some wood-looking fabric but am willing to piece together some solid-colored boards) and some great colorful fabric that looks like tiles

- 1 moon and about 8 stars

- 3 to 5 inch border

- binding (same fabric as the "tiles" on the dog house)

My first quilting class is tomorrow evening.  I attempted to take this class prior to Christmas.  The first two weeks I didn't have a machine. Then I bought a used Viking Husquavarna Designer 1, which needed repair and was in the shop for two weeks, so I missed the last classes.  Hopefully this will be better!

WHY I'M THINKING HAND-TURNED VS. FUSED:  Many forums (and Martha Stewart) have recommended not using fused if the item will be washed repeatedly.  I'd like to shoot for a traditional look, although the design I've chosen is far from this.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR ANY REPLIES!

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 1:46 AM

My hand appliques have held up just as well as those that are machine sewn.  Have fun with your quilt and I hope you post pics when it is finished.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 165

Nana, Thank you SO much for your prompt response!  That's so reassuring!  Have you trapunto'd also and does that hold up, too?  

I have heard about two ways to trapunto:

1)  sew applique, then cut the back of the fabric and insert extra batting, then stitch the hole closed

2) sew two layers of batting and carefully trim out one of the two layers where you don't want the trapunto

Would appreciate any ideas on this one, too.  

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,395 Posts
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 6:45 AM

We all have our favorite methods.  I think the hand turned applique is the most durable.  Fused tends to ravel on the edges when washed unless a solid satin stitch or something of that sort covers the edges.  I did a baby quilt once with hand appliqued hearts that then had a decorative machine stitch added around the edges.  Very durable. 

For trapunto it may be easiest to make a small cut in back, add stuffing.  Then you can also make it as puffy as you want.  If you do the two layers, do one layer, sew or otherwise attach it in place, and cut around it, and the second layer comes in when the the batting and back are attached. 

Sounds like a very cute pattern.

Don't forget to check out youtube for demonstrations of techniques. Also the Fons and Porter videos on QNNtv.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,005 Posts
Points 25,020
daffodella, I too am new to applique so no help there. but perfectionist I do know about, just relax and allow yourself to fall in love with what your doing. Just like you will with that new baby. Congratulations and Happy Quilting

MelodyP

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 165

Thanks so much for responding so quickly!  You mentioned machine stitching around hand-turned applique.  Is there a particular stitch or two that you like to use?  I ask that because I bought a well-used, old  Viking Husqavarna Designer 1 and it comes with what seems like a million stitch options, and I'm not sure which is best.  THANKS!

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 165

I wasn't aware of qnntv.com.  WOW!  So many videos and tips!  Thank you very much!

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 165

THanks for the suggestion -- great, great analogy!  If you find that I'm frustrated, feel free to remind me again!

Do you have a tip or two on applique -- perhaps "I wish I had known this in the beginning..." ?

Thanks again!  Looking forward to seeing your finished art.

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 165

Excellent suggestion on the trapunto!  Sounds like this would be much easier than the option I had heard about.  With the (1) sew one layer of batting, trim away and then (2) attach batting and backing  and quilt method, would that lead to the bump showing evenly on the front AND backside of the quilt, vs. the (3) create a slit and stuff it method?  That's a question that has been lingering for me since I first thought of this. 

Thanks!

Appreciate your insights!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,395 Posts
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 9:26 AM

I like the blanket machine stitch.   If one doesn't know any better, it looks hand done.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 165

Thanks so much!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,604

Hi daffodella, it is nice to meet you. I don't do hand work but it looks like you have some good answers in that area already. I just wanted to say, don't be afraid, jump right in and go for it. There are a lot of very helpful people here if you get stuck. You can also take lessons at your local quilt shop, most of them give lessons. You will do great, and remember, no matter how long one has been quilting, we are still learning because there is always something new to learn.  

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,717 Posts
Points 436,750
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 15 2013 10:51 AM

daffodella

I am not sure that I have ever seen trapunto that shows up on both sides of the quilt.   I love the ones that have the trapunto on the front.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 165

Thank you for the words of wisdom.  I love your username!

Not Ranked
9 Posts
Points 165

UPDATE as of 1-17

I'm taking a quilting class, and my instructor felt that undertaking the applique bulldog quilt might not be the best option for my first attempt, given the deadline (baby shower in 6 weeks) and her desire that I'm extraordinarily successful and thrilled with the results of my first quilt.  So, I've re-purchased fabrics and will be making a crib-sized quilt that has nine-patch (5" finished blocks) with alternating 5" blocks in a cute blue/teal/navy/lime green jungle animal print.  A bit risky since my son and his wife will be decorating with another zoo-type quilt.

The original bulldog design is still in the running for the second quilt, although I might make a smaller version that my new grandson could carry with him, versus sleep under.  I also want to undertake an alphabet book, although I'm not sure how I would bind the thickness 13 quilted pages (26 front & back).  The "D" is for dog page would have a miniature version of the bulldog.  :)  

THANK YOU, everyone, for the much-needed encouragement and suggestions!  This was a wonderful way to jump right into the discussions.  Pleasantly surprised by the amount of voluntary help.  Again, thanks!

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use