Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 44 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 47
Points 1,585
Jesse Posted: Mon, Jan 14 2013 8:55 AM

I have seen some people starching their fabric. Does anyone do that and if so how?! I am unfamiliar with it.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,820
Points 248,519
Barbara replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 8:57 AM

Jesse ,I use Starch on occasion and I just use the stuff in the spray can,  but I mostly use Best Press, the stuff is fantastic and comes in several nice fragrances and it is not as hard on your fabric as starch . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 9:14 AM

It's good to use where your fabric might have a tendency to stretch as in bargello or watercolor quilts.  Lots of small pieces next to each other do tend to stretch.  I usually don't use starch, but I get very frustrated if I don't with those type of quilts.  Seminole piecing could probably use it too, as some of the fabrics will be sewn on the bias and that really tends to stretch.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 47
Points 1,585
Jesse replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 9:16 AM

Thank ladies! :)

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 47
Points 1,585
Jesse replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 9:16 AM

Thank ladies! :)

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 75
Jean H. replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 9:19 AM

When my blocks have lots of pieces, I starch so they will lay flat. It gives them a nice finish, and then it's easier to piece the blocks together. I use spray starch. Best Finish got too expensive. I don't over spray. Just enough so they are flat and the seams go where I want them to.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I have started starching all my fabric. I find I get better seams and things match up better.   

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,536
Points 417,914
gini replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 10:40 AM

i never starch,  just another step

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,854
Points 85,860
Sukochi replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 10:45 AM

I starch. I just gives better handling to my fabruc.

Sukochi

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 47
Points 1,585
Jesse replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 12:18 PM

Thank you all for your responses! I think on my next quilt I am going to try it to see how it is!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,405
Points 21,105

Just to add one more reply, I LOVE Magic Sizing.  To me, it really makes the fabric stiff and crisp, which makes cutting and sewing SO much easier.  

However, with that said, I never use it anymore.  It got too expensive.  I don't care for Best Press, and here's why - To get the level of stiffness I like, I feel like I have to add a lot.  I normally love scented things, but I feel like when I add enough to get it strong enough, the scent is too much (even for me).

So, I tend to make my own starch.  I use cornstarch and water and just a drop or two of essential oil into an old best press bottle.  I have to shake it up every time I use it, because the starch settles, but that's OK with me, since it's basically free this way.  Also, if I end up not using it for a long time, I might throw it out and make some fresh, but that has only happened once!  

My homemade starch is not nearly as crisp as MagicSizing, but it's a little better than Best Press and since it's free and I have all the supplies at home, I can't really see any reason to switch.

Raleigh, NC

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 47
Points 1,585
Jesse replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 12:35 PM

Are there instructions on the box on how much to use of the cornstarch and water?

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,528
Points 31,105
Diana replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 1:34 PM

I'll add my 2 cents in for what it's worth.   I don't use too much starch unless I'm going to wash it when the quilt is finished.  Starch will draw a certain type of icky bug because starch is edible.  Sizing is not edible and doesn't draw that thingy.  I use sizing when I have something that needs it to make it stiffer to cut and sew.  I use sizing on flannel as well so it doesn't all stretch out and makes it easier to sew. 

Diana (Bink) in East Tn.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 47
Points 1,585
Jesse replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 1:45 PM

I've never heard of sizing.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 25,027
Points 369,907
Kris replied on Mon, Jan 14 2013 2:51 PM

Bugs like starch so do not store projects that have starch in them. Magic sizing or something starch free is best.

Sizing is added to fabric as a protective layer or glaze. It is what makes the fabric feel crisp before it's washed.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 3 (45 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use