This post has 26 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances Posted: Sat, Jan 12 2013 7:53 AM

Hi Everyone,

Ive just ordered this book.

Pieced Roman Shades: Turn Your Favorite Quilt Patterns into Window Hangings by terrell Sundermann

I wondered if any of you had made blinds for your windows and how you had got on.

Any ideas gratefully received, my blinds are broke in the conservatory so im thinking of making some to replace them.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,261
Points 173,143
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 10:15 AM

Frances:
I wondered if any of you had made blinds for your windows and how you had got on.

Frances, I made 9 RS for my sunroom when it was built.  The book you ordered will have instructions to make them I'm sure.  I had a pattern for mine and just followed the instructions.  

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

Didn't Patti make some of these???

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,250
Points 28,335
Agnes replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 10:20 AM

I've been looking at Roman Shades. Making my own would be so more better. Roman Shades aren't too difficult to make. My exDil made some and she had limited sewing experience. I was so impressed when she made hers. Just had forgotten about that.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 11:40 AM

Yes I did, out of that same book.  I have one finished, and 2 others just needing the hardware put together.  They are wonderful.  It does look a little intimidating at first, but well worth it.  I think I have a photo in the UFO group.   But I will take another now as the sun is coming through and it is so beautiful then. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 11:53 AM

Can't find the photo and the batteries in my camera are dead.  Will charge them and take a photo later.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 12:34 PM

Frances, here is a link to Patti's photo - Pieced Roman Shade

I followed Patti's progress closely as I, too, want to make some shades.  Although the book is out of print, I found a used copy on Amazon.  How long have you had the book, Frances?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 1:01 PM

I had the book a few years ago and then when i cleared out a lot of clutter i got rid of it as i thought im never going to do that, well since joining all of you i realise that the things i thought i would never be able to do i can actually do, so this morning i ordered it from Amazon uk as they still have it available.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 1:03 PM

Patti:

Yes I did, out of that same book.  I have one finished, and 2 others just needing the hardware put together.  They are wonderful.  It does look a little intimidating at first, but well worth it.  I think I have a photo in the UFO group.   But I will take another now as the sun is coming through and it is so beautiful then. 

Patti,

Your blinds look great, now im really looking forward to doing it.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,482
Points 47,700
Frances replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 1:05 PM

Thank you everyone for all your help it is much appreciated.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,027
Points 13,040

Frances,

this book is great and I've been wanting to make pieced roman shades for years. I get the bi-monthly newsletter she sends via email too. She has done beautiful work. I have the blackout and all hardware, there just always seems to be other projects (usually gifts) that beat out my time for me. Someday....

http://www.terrelldesigns.com/About-Us

She also has a blog and displays shades made by viewers with her method. Good luck and post a pic when you are done. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,797
MNnancy replied on Thu, Jan 17 2013 10:23 PM

Maggie aka Grandma Sunshine:
She also has a blog and displays shades made by viewers with her method.

Thanks, Maggie.  I didn't know about her website.  I love all the pictures!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 8:46 AM

Those shades on the book cover look awesome.  Am I wrong in assuming they must need to be lined?

I have such long windows, I think RS would be just the ticket.  I do need to replace my windows and had planed on putting shutters inside for privacy.  I think they would combine nicely with the RS.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,027
Points 13,040

Joni,

i love it because it is an expression of your artistic talents and vision. I think it would go lovely with shutters. You can also line them with a thin sulfate to help compensate for older leaking windows. I've been following information on EL wire too. I want to make a roman shade that has an lit outline picture in it that runs by solar power battery at night. Some of the things artists are doing with their quilting and sewing knowledge just astounds me. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Thu, Jan 24 2013 8:23 AM

Here are a couple pictures.  One with shade partly open.  Other with it closed with sun light behind it.  Because of the contrast between the bright sunlight and snow,  it was difficult to get a good picture.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 50
Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use