Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,599
Points 26,900
Debbie Posted: Fri, Jan 11 2013 3:35 AM

OK, I turn 60 this year and told the family for my birthday (May 6) I want a new sewing machine for quilting.  But I have no idea on which machine is best.  right now I am using a Baby Lock Companion that 20+ years old - no walking foot but has lots of stitches.  Budget is $500-750

Here are my requirements:

I mainly piece tops and so far just straight lines,  nothing fancy or complicated but would like to learn more

haven't done too many fancy stitches but am open to learning

would like to start FMQ some of my quilts - gets a little costly to send them out for someelse to do - and I like lapsize quilts so that's a size I feel I could handle.  Anything biogger would go out. 

So any ideas on which machine to buy - what do you all like about yours? 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,825
Points 248,634
Barbara replied on Fri, Jan 11 2013 3:56 AM

Debbie , I have a Janome and love it ,  but my advise is to go to some of the dealers and try out the machines .  I would look for one with a good size throat space  easier for quilting After you have tired some out , then decide what features you liked about.  those machines. sometimes the dealer will have a good trade in that has all the bells and whistles .. These machine are usually in good shape and you can get more for your money. but the biggest thing is to just try them ,see which ones have what you are looking for .

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 649
Points 16,405
Zsofia replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 5:56 PM

Debbie - I just got a Viking 835 it was on sale ($800 they are retiring this model) I tried a few different machines out and the sales lady was really interested to sell me an expensive one. But I just needed more space for my free motion learning. This machine has a 10 inch space which is awesome. I wrestled queen sized quilts on my old machine and was not able to do much but straight lines or stitch in the ditch. On this machine there are many decorative stitches and adjusted nicely to different fabric thickness. It's all computerized so I have a lot to learn but I'm ready for the challenge.

But I think you should go and see some machines try them out and see what would work. Our Joann has a sewing machine central and the ladies are very helpful. They don't carry many brands but let you try any machines. There was a Singer what I liked too it was cheaper but decided to get the Viking. 

Zsofia

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,368
Points 19,455
safrmaz replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 1:45 PM

Debbie,

I came across this recently &  found it interesting.  It may help you make a decision.   http://www.evidently.org/2007/02/too-much-information/

Good luck!

Sheri

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Debbie, I agree with going and trying out some different machines. I have a Janome and love it, but I also have a brother that just does straight stitch and has a 9.5" throat and it does beautiful piecing. Figure out what you cannot live without and I would suggest that, if you are planning to do FMQ, you get as much throat space as you can afford.  

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use