Page 3 of 8 (114 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 113 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,702
Points 436,420
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 4:04 PM

We will be going out for dinner tonight and tomorrow night.  Thinking Red Lobster tonight for their shrimp special.  Tomorrow night we go to Kabuki...Japanese Steak House...for an after Christmas party with our adult boy scout leaders and committee members,    We will be eating good even if it isn't necessarily healthy....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,629
Points 36,905
ls2116 replied on Fri, Jan 18 2013 8:56 PM

Nana they both sound great. Have a great time.  I'm was waiting til next month for Red Lobster but I might move that idea up on the menu board.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,843
Points 85,675
Sukochi replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 7:46 AM

We only eat out on paydays. We go to Mickey Dee's and have two burgers, off the value menu, and share a large tea. Costs $ 3. 35, or, something like that, for both of us, together. Can't afford anywhere else. Some times we splurge and go to Capn'. Dees. I have broiled salmon, broccoli and mac n' cheese. Jim always has the frid fish.  I eat, abou,t a quarter of mine, and bring it home. The next day I eat another quarter of it, them Jim eats the remain half. We can't do that very often. Wish we could. I would love a good steak, someplace. But, I can eat enough to make it worth it. And, there is no money for it now.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 8:11 AM

Linda

Occasionally  I am alone, fortunate though to have many faithful friends who come to visit...some short and some long stays.  Many times we joke about my revolving door, I love it.

I prefer to make my meals all portion controlled, no left overs.  Many times a nice baked potato (I rotate between sweet and russet) veggie and/or salad.  Sometime a salad, made simple to fancy.  I try to always set a nice table and turn off the TV and just enjoy the meal.  I try to be aware of my diabetes and plan accordingly.

If I cook a meal that has leftovers, roasted chicken, meatloaf, spaghetti, etc then I set aside a portion or 2 to be frozen, and a portion of the meat part for sandwich the following day.  Many times I send the remaining of the meal home with guests.  I truly enjoy the frozen portions on days/nights when I just don't have time to prepare a meal.  Usually I add a small salad and maybe a slice of homemade bread or rolls.   I, also, when dining alone use the large salad plate for my main dish, it makes for a satisfying meal that does not tempt me to overindulge. 

My friends enjoy the portion controlled meals, they then bring or prepare a dessert we can all enjoy without guilt.  I also enjoy fasting and prayer, the fasting usually the Daniel fast is great for the body and the prayer really gives peace and fills my heart.  I should fast and pray more often, will try to do so this year.

Why or why can't I get rid of the spare tire?  Yes, I know, exercise, exercise!   I've started walking again, never less then 1/2 mile, mostly a mile, the dogs love it and it is a tussle for who goes first.

Sukochi  I pick-up Rib eye steaks when they knock down the prices...reduced for quick sale.  I pick the leanest I can find, take them home, cut in half and freeze them 2 halves to a quart freezer bag.  Rib-eyes swell so much when cooked that they make great portions.  My guests never know when they will have steak for either dinner or for a real treat for breakfast.    A  steak, baked potato and small salad makes a great meal...at least 1/2 the price of restaurants.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,629
Points 36,905
ls2116 replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 2:12 PM

I never thought of freezing leftovers.  I'm wondering how long you can do that and it would still be good?  Does it affect the taste?

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,629
Points 36,905
ls2116 replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 2:15 PM

forgot to add I'm thawing some chops but thinking Red Lobster.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,843
Points 85,675
Sukochi replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 2:59 PM

My BFF makes pots of soup and frees then in quarts. She has, I think, 5 different soups frozen for her dinners this winter. She loves to cook but lives alone, so she freezes enough for a few meals for her and then gives the rest to her kids. And, she eats out quit a bit as well.

I froze a bunch of soup last month, for during the winter, also. There is a grocery store, here, that has meat on sale at 11:00 every Monday a.m. I have been told that the prices are great. In fact, was also told that there are usually people standing waiting for the butcher to put the meat out!! Guess I will have to join the crowd. A friend does that, gets a big Boston Butt cheap, smokes it long and slow, then has BBQ and neighbors over. I love his Q.

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 62,595
Jacy replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 5:26 PM

I'm cooking a roast in the crock pot today, so easy and tastes yummy, and you can sew while it cooks!

3-4lb beef roast, sprinkled with salt and pepper to taste

3/4 oz pkg brown gravy mix

1/4c ketchup

2tsp dijon mustard

1 tsp worcestershire sauce

1/8tsp garlic powder

1 cup water.

Place meat in crock pot. Mix remaining ingredients together and pour over meat.

Cover and cook on low 8-10 hrs or high 4-5 hrs.

It's good with mashed potatoes but today I'm throwing potatoes in the oven to bake so I can sew just a little longer.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,843
Points 85,675
Sukochi replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 5:33 PM

We bad tonight. We had bacon cheese burgers. Sometimes you just have to be bad!

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,249
Points 172,978
Marie replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 5:33 PM

Sounds yummy, Jacy!  I was going to put a whole chicken in my crock pot today but got a call out for lunch and a Joanne's trip so guess what I chose?  Tomorrow is soon enough for the chicken.  Any good recipes for a whole chicken besides just seasonings?

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,776
Points 247,884
Barbara replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 5:38 PM

I started a beef stew in the slow cooker around noon and right now the smell is killing me I'm hungry .I'm gonna make so biscuits to go with the stew . I have no recipe I just brown the meat ,I buy the little flat steaks and cut it myself , throw in some carrots ,potatoes ,onions  peppers and if I'd had some ,mushrooms ,but I"m out . throw in some beef  bullion cubes , some secret spices  water or beef broth if I had some ,,, its smell so darn good ..

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,023
Points 12,975

ls2116:

I never thought of freezing leftovers.  I'm wondering how long you can do that and it would still be good?  Does it affect the taste?

I grew up on leftovers!  Lol  I wasn't aware that some people didn't eat leftovers until I got on my own. I think some things taste better after sitting in the frig a couple of days. I have a food saver vacuum pack so my frozen foods don't get freezer burn. Some things are best eaten within 3 months. Others you can freeze for up to a year. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,629
Points 36,905
ls2116 replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 11:02 PM

Jacy thanks for recipe I'm gonna try that.  Usually because I excercise portion people control I usually don't have leftover but when i pull out the big I think its 25 quart pot for soup stew etc. there is always leftovers.  I'll definitely try freezing some from next batch of chicken noodle soup.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,629
Points 36,905
ls2116 replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 11:06 PM

Ok pretty please what are the secret spices Barbara I throw in Meat tenderizer and some little namebrand pac mc

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,776
Points 247,884
Barbara replied on Tue, Jan 22 2013 11:58 PM

ok Is, I'll give you one .bay leaf ...Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Page 3 of 8 (114 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use