Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,549
Points 46,955
Debbie-do replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 11:57 AM

Marie:

chocake2:
a very tarnished silver fruit/bread basket

I have a great recipe for silverware CC.

1 teasp. salt

1teasp baking soda 

4 - 5 inch square of aluminum foil crumbled and then flattened.

1 cup boiling water

Lay foil in pan, add above solution, add siverware

When done wash silverware in soapy water and dry

It's magic but it really works!  You'll see. 

Rubbing it down with toothpaste (not gel) works too!

Southwest of San Antonio

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 2:05 PM

Now, Marie, you don't wanna go spoiling DD before she learns about polishing the silver!! Gotta make her do it the old fashioned way a few times before i show her the scientific method. LOL

Right now she's busy stitching up doggy crate liners on the serger. We were told to make them out of green, orange, and purple fleece (Since when did charities get so picky?). She insisted on getting  day-glow green. (I drew the line at day-glo orange too.)  It's a good thing dogs don't have as many color receptors as peoples do, or they'd go blind looking at their blankies!  The boys are figting over who gets the long strips trimmed off the edges to make them the right sze for the kennels...they both want gloin'green scarves. I won't loose 'em in a snowbank, thats fer sure! Sprout couldn't care less about the scraps. He likes the pile of blankets! It's soft and cooshy, like a grandma's lap!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sat, Jan 19 2013 11:00 PM

Marie:

Lay foil in pan, add above solution, add siverware

When done wash silverware in soapy water and dry

It's magic but it really works!  You'll see.

WHAT???  I don't have to scrub my silverware with silver polish and elbow grease anymore?  How can this have not made the newspaper headlines???

You say, "when done..."  Will it be obvious?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,717
Points 38,350
ls2116 replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 1:07 AM

Mellisa I hope your feeling better soon.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,717
Points 38,350
ls2116 replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 1:12 AM

Its so windy in Mich. tonite I'm praying we don't get a tornado.  Everything is in the lords hand .

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,717
Points 38,350
ls2116 replied on Sun, Jan 20 2013 1:54 PM

Well I made it through without losing power in Mich. but I'm praying for those that have lost their power.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,334
Points 20,045

chocake2:

She came back with  ... a very tarnished silver fruit/bread basket !?... That cracked me up.  It's one of those things people give at weddings when they want to gift something really nice but don't know the happy couple all that well.  ... So, now we have one very posh remote holder. LOL 

Great find!  I'll be happy to take it off your hands if you get tired of polishing it.  :)  My husband offered to polish some of my silver jewelry this weekend so that I could wear it out to my company's Winter Ball.  I have no idea why...  Maybe he was worried about running out of time?  Anyway, I couldn't believe my ears.  Happily took him up on it.  He decided afterward that we should "take it somewhere to have it professionally polished" in the future.  Lol.  

Raleigh, NC

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,370
Points 174,978
Marie replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 11:08 AM

MNnancy:
You say, "when done..."  Will it be obvious?

Yes Nancy, it will almost be instant.  I never researched what the combination of salt, baking soda and aluminum foil will do with your silver over time but I've been doing it for years with my silverware.

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 12:12 PM

Hmmm, intesting question, Marie. I wouldn't think that method of polishing silver would be detrimental. You expose your silver to salt and baking soda at meals, so...? I'd  Ask a jewler. I'm pretty sure it's basically the same principle as they use in the jewelry cleaning booths at the mall.

DD made us a yummy angel food cake yesterday. DS1's hens are happily laying faster then we can use the eggs (Goofy birds don't know it's winter, I guess) so this was a good way to use 'em up. I'm making broiche with the left-over yolks. 'Miht also use up some left-over squash and make a pie ...yeah. Bring on  those  calories, baby! LOL

I have high hopes that Dh will light a nice fire in the shop for me today. I'm itching to make some new beads.

He had a rough night last night. An aquaintence deliberately ODed last night. They had to Medevac him to the hospital in the city. It turns out, he tried the same thing 2 weeks ago and failed. The PA renewed his  full sleeping pill perscription when he got out of the hospital (!??) and he took the whole 2 months supply this time. From the sounds of it, he wasn't messing around. They aren't sure they got to him in time. I pray for him & his family.

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,370
Points 174,978
Marie replied on Mon, Jan 21 2013 12:31 PM

Poor soul.  Add my prayers to yours CC.

Millbury, MA

Page 13 of 13 (190 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use