Top 10 Posters

Miscellaneous

Page 5 of 13 (190 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 189 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,451
Points 176,358
Marie replied on Fri, Jan 11 2013 4:39 PM

CC, I wish I could be there to help you, truly.  WHAT AM I SAYING?  I don't even do my own!  :  )  

Really, take care of yourself, the housework will wait.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 11 2013 4:48 PM

Patti

I know that some vaccines are made with horse serums too.   Tetanus at least used to be made from horse serum.  I had a horrible reaction to my last tetanus vaccine.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 266
Points 4,965
Lesley replied on Fri, Jan 11 2013 4:51 PM

Evening ladies ( well it is here 10.40 pm)

I have spent all day trying to finish the backs of the 2 quilts I have made for my sons. I had a brain storm and decided to decorate the backs as well. Had to go to the shop to get more material but 1 is finished and the other is well on the way. I am having them both quilted on the Gamill that my friend who owns the nearby quilting shop has. The one for my oldest son and his fiancee is their wedding present and the one for the youngest will be for their 2nd Wedding Anniversary. My back which I injured 4 weeks is getting better but after sitting hunched over the sewing machine it is now very sore. Still it will be worth it when they are ready to be quilted.

Hope all you poorly ladies get better soon. We are expecting a cold snap here over the weekend  nothing like the weather some of you are experiencing of that I am positive.

I am hoping I have managed to lose a couple of pounds this week when I weigh in tomorrow. I am trying Weight Watchers and it does seem to be working for me.

Anybody got any plans for the weekend? I am quilting as much as I can as my sick leave finishes next Wednesday and I will have to return to work on Thursday.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Fri, Jan 11 2013 6:19 PM

Lesley, this weekend you ask?. I will be quilting, as I have all day today. Won't go to Church. Can't risk getting the flu. Didn't realize that, when I sat next to one of my sweet sisters in Christ, she was cooking up the flu. Didn't find out till Weds.this week that she is down with it.  Great. And you don't know you have it for the first several days after you contract it. Got all my fingers and toes crossed. Saying lots of prayers. Have felt awful for this whole week but, hope that is not why.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Fri, Jan 11 2013 6:26 PM

CC, invite Thea to visit. She can hold the Sproutster,, ward off the two others, keep track of the dog and scrub that house to with an inch of it's life in the morning, have your two older kids quilting a quilt for their poor mommy  and have a huge dinner ready before she goes home. Hmm.... Thea when you are done there, could you came here next, please?

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,413
Points 47,210
Angele replied on Fri, Jan 11 2013 6:37 PM

Hello one and all, I didn't get the flu shot either.  I chose not to because as a fairly healthy person, I try. To fight the virus naturally.  I hope all the people who got tagged by the flu is recuperating  for the weekend.

as for me, we got our new water heater, all nice and shiny... :-) and the other good news is that we don't need a new pressure tank.  Ours is good. Phew!

it rained all day and turned to snow by 3 this afternoon. We are expected to have at least one foot of snow by tomorrow night.  The roads are ice. So for me the weekend will be spent sewing, cleaning and planing meals for next week.  So I will make sure to stay in contact with all of you and see the wonderful creations.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,453
Points 243,837
Thea replied on Fri, Jan 11 2013 7:30 PM

Angele, I don't ever get the flu shot but that is because years ago when it was required to get them when I was in the A.F. I would get horribly sick.  Way worse then if I had contracted the influenza virus from someone else.  it was found that I just can not do preventative maintenance shots.  During the flu season now, I pretty much stay at home but if I do have to go out I take lots of folic acid - one of the B vitamins to boost up my immune system and I knock on wood that i have been lucky and not gotten the flu in many many years - now I still do get bronchitis and bronchial pneumonia - but then you can't have eveything.

Hoping your pressure tank / water heater are great.  We got a water softener this year and are hoping that it will keep us from having to get a new water heater every 3-5 years... so far so good.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Fri, Jan 11 2013 9:13 PM

We were told to drain our water heater every six months. We run a hose through the guest bedroom window (water heater is in the closet in that room. Then let the water run through the hose and down to the ground. it is so murky when it first runs but after awhile, just clean, clear water. Try that. Keep the gunky sludge out. 

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Fri, Jan 11 2013 9:33 PM

Sukochi, the nasal spray vaccines do have live virus. 

"The nasal-spray flu vaccine — a vaccine made with live, weakened flu viruses that is given as a nasal spray (sometimes called LAIV for “Live Attenuated Influenza Vaccine”). The viruses in the nasal spray vaccine do not cause the flu. LAIV is approved for use in healthy* people 2 through 49 years of age who are not pregnant."

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Fri, Jan 11 2013 10:20 PM

Angele:
it rained all day and turned to snow by 3 this afternoon. We are expected to have at least one foot of snow by tomorrow night.

It rained all day here, too, and it is still raining.  Rain in Minnesota in January is NOT a good thing.  I wish it would turn to snow!

Have fun building snowmen tomorrow, Angele!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,832
Points 366,112
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 12:19 AM

Boston declared a "Flu Emergency" this week.

At the hospital here everyone who refused to get a flu shot has to wear a mask and those of us who did get the shot wear stickers to show we have done so.

Our hospital is full with most beds taken by people with flu symptoms. The ED was nuts all week.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,499
Points 48,025
Frances replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 12:55 AM

Nana:

Bev

When I fly to go to a retreat I do not take a sewing machine.   There is always someone with an extra machine that I can use at retreat.  There is no way that I would trust an airline with my sewing machine.

Nana,

Why spoil my fun i just had this wonderful vision of you at the airport checking in desk with 10 sewing machines underneath your arms and the airline saying im sorry madam you can only take one, and you saying i need them i need them all theyre my children i have to take them.

lots of love

Francesxx

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 11:17 AM

Kris:

Boston declared a "Flu Emergency" this week.

At the hospital here everyone who refused to get a flu shot has to wear a mask and those of us who did get the shot wear stickers to show we have done so.

Our hospital is full with most beds taken by people with flu symptoms. The ED was nuts all week.

I'm suprised that hosp employees don't have to get manditory shots. I was required to when I worked in childcare. We had to prove we were current on all of our vacinations, including flu, or they could pull our daycare liscence.  One year my shot records got lost at the health dept and I ended up getting it 2ce in 6 week. That was miserable!!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,677
Points 120,525

chocake2:
Our hospital is full with most beds taken by people with flu symptoms. The ED was nuts all wee

chocake2:
I'm suprised that hosp employees don't have to get manditory shots. I was required to when I worked in childcare.

Perhaps Kris means anyone who walks through the door has to wear a mask if not shot? I would also be surprised that any care worker not be required to be up on all shots.

So far I know two people who have been down deathly ill with the flu. My sis in law had to be taken to the hospital via ambulance. She was very embarrassed when they asked her if she'd had her flu shot and she had to say No, she hadn't gotten around to it.  Our next door neighbor was also so sick she nearly died. She refuses shots simply because, as she told me, she doesn't like to be told what she has to do. (oookkay)  I would say it's her health and her business but I wonder how many people she infected. Her hubby had his shot and didn't get sick taking care of her.

Most people I know have had their shots and not one has gotten sick so far. Doesn't mean we won't but it's good preventative measures.  And, I don't want to miss going to Branson the end of February! Even with the shots, we are being extra careful. 

My doctor told me to rub Vaseline inside my nose to keep the tissues moist. May not prevent but may help.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 11:53 AM

When I was still working at the hospital flu shots were offered free of charge but we weren't required to take them.   Now we had to be up to date on all the other vaccines and were given DT boosters every few years.  Those of us that worked in ER and critical care also had to take hepatitis vaccines. And were checked for TB every year.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 5 of 13 (190 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use