Page 3 of 13 (190 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 189 Replies | 21 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 11:31 AM

Thanks to the Lord, what ever this is, it is not the flu as I have not run a high fever, or a fever at all. But, I am staying away from Church until it is over , and others don't come with the flu. Do people not understand how bad this is?  And, many who have had flu shots are getting this anyway.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,770
Points 39,155
ls2116 replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 12:26 PM

I hope you get to feeling better.  

I watched news yesterday and in interview with doc they said this one is really bad and that you can't get flu if you have flu shot so it tempted me butreading those with flu shot are getting it anyway I think I'll pass.  The last time I had a flu shot I was hospitalized a week from getting sick.  Thanks.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 12:52 PM

Since it is this far into the flu season, a flu shot would not protect you, anyway. It take about 4 weeks for the serum to take effect. So, by then, it may already be over. But, also, during that amount of time, you might get it anyway.

Sukochi

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 703
Points 11,570
Bev replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 12:57 PM

I was just reading about a musician who's vintage guitar was shredded by the airline's baggage handlers at a Detroit airport last month. The airline would not let him carry it onboard . I don't know why this was not possible if it was screened. This made me wonder about any of you who fly to go to a retreat. Do you take your sewing machine and if so do you have to check it in baggage. The above should not have happened even though his outcome was very generous to to media coverage online. I would hate it to happen to anyone here.

from TN

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,721
Points 436,920
Nana replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 1:15 PM

Bev

When I fly to go to a retreat I do not take a sewing machine.   There is always someone with an extra machine that I can use at retreat.  There is no way that I would trust an airline with my sewing machine.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,556
Points 51,395
Ginny replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 2:55 PM

Sukochi,  I do believe you are wrong about it being too late in the season to bother getting a flu shot.  It gives protection within 2 weeks and this flu season won't be winding down until March or April.  In fact, I just got an email from our health department this morning that it is still time to get a flu shot, and should be done now if you haven't already gotten one and that you can come in to the health dept to get one.   So if you haven't gotten one-- go get it.   We need you here.      Ginny

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,293
Points 29,240
Agnes replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 3:31 PM

My understanding is that the flu shot is based on an educated guess as to what flu(s) will be most rampant. There are so many different flu varieties that they can't cover more than a few with the shot. You get a different strain and you still are not protected. The flu shot this year might be for Type 1 or A, next year for Swine flu, etc. With or without the shot, there are so many variables in every person's health makeup that it is hard to predict how you might react.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

One of the things that has me concerned about the flu is that you are contagious several days before you show any symptoms.  It stands to reason that if you don't feel sick, you will keep your normal routine and you could be infecting others and not even know it. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 4:34 PM

Ginny, I stand corrected. Sorry, for the wrong info. Ba d thing about the flu shot is, 5% of the people who have gotten them, have gotten the flu.  Seems to me, that I don't recall a flu season this bad,  since the 70's,  first year the swine flu hit. Or, was it the China flu? Oh, don't listen to me.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,429
Points 416,064
gini replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 4:40 PM

i don't think anyone has died from a flu shot.  18 people have died in one town on the east coast from the flu already and flu season is just getting started.  

the 1917 fly epidemic killed 20 or 30 million people worldwide, up to 3 percent of the population.  it could happen again.   the shot starts conferring immunity as soon as you get it.   if you get the flu inside that two week window between getting the shot and getting the flu, the flu will be milder.   the scientists do their best to get the strains of flu into their shots that they think  will be the most virulent and they do a pretty good job. 

gini in north idaho

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,005
Points 25,020
Last year i took the flu shot. I did get sick. Was it because of the shot? Was it the flu? Who knows. But I will take the shot because had I not had that shot I have been assured surviving the flu would be slim. I'll take my chances with precaution.

MelodyP

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,514
Points 30,780
Diana replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 5:06 PM

Sukochi,    That flu in the early 70's was the Hong Kong flu.  I happened to get it and was down for 10 days.   The worst flu I'd ever had.  The influenza epidemic of 1918 was when my dad was born.  His Mom died 4 days later because she also had the flu at the same time.  The flu can be so bad but like they keep saying.....hand washing and keeping hands away from eyes and noses is the best defense.  I keep away from as many people as possible.  I grocery shop on Sunday morning when everyone is in church.   Very few people at the store.  Wash hands as soon as I get home.  Put away groceries and wash hands again before starting a meal.

Hope that everyone who is feeling poorly gets better really soon.

Diana (Bink) in East Tn. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,091
Points 29,520
Ramona replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 5:09 PM

Robyn:

I finished putting this top together.  It's a kit called "Harvest" that my mom got me for Christmas.  My goal is have this completely finished by Thanksgiving this year.  The even bigger goal is to have my HOUSE finished by then as well so I can display my quilt in my house and have my family down for Thanksgiving dinner.  I usually host Thanksgiving, but have been unable to for the last two Thanksgivings since we've been moving painfully slowly on my addition.

It's sure pretty. Great job!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,482
Points 176,813
Marie replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 5:54 PM

Robyn, it's beautiful!  Love the pattern, love the fabrics, good job!

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,849
Points 85,825
Sukochi replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 5:55 PM

Romona, this is quite beautiful.

Sukochi

Page 3 of 13 (190 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use