Marking Shapes for Hand Quilting

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Points 70
vtishome6 Posted: Wed, Jan 9 2013 6:42 AM

I got tired of the tedious task of tracing patterns on to my quilt tops to hand quilt.  So, I came up with a better way.  First take some flour and water and mix it up to make a paste, not too thick.  Then take a cookie cutter, dip it in the paste and then put it on the quilt.  It dries quickly and once I have hand quilted the shape it scratches right off the material.  Sure beats tracing!

vtishome6

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 6:50 AM

Nice idea!  I have some nice cookie cutters, including a beautiful butterfly that I must try with this.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Hi vtishome6 it is nice to meet you. Great tip thanks for sharing.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,483
Points 176,833
Marie replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 3:23 PM

Wow, what a great idea!  Thanks v6.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,481
Points 244,382
Thea replied on Thu, Jan 10 2013 3:47 PM

Nice idea - filed it away in my good ideas file.  I like to trace the designs on freezer paper - staple several pieces together to copy the design on to all at the same time( you can copy the designs by stitching through the pieces without thread - I cut the designs apart then  iron them on to the fabric - do my stitiching and then off they come... you can press a freezer paper design on about 8 times before it won't stay down anymore - then sometimes I will just pin it for a while...

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use