Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 24,120
Elaine Phillips Posted: Tue, Jan 8 2013 8:21 PM

I just discovered the most wonderful thing while applying binding to my quilt. I have a Sew Steady extention table and I rolled my binding around my hand and thought to lay it in my lap, and then I had an aha moment. I slipped the rolled binding around my extention table leg closest to my right hand and it feeds itself nicely onto the quilt as I sew. I am a genius!! Probably everyone else with a Sew Steady table, or any other kind of extention table has already discovered this, but I thought I would share anyway.

• | Post Points: 110
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,545
Points 417,024
gini replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 8:26 PM

great tip,  i believe you are a genius

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 8:29 PM

Elaine Phillips:
Probably everyone else with a Sew Steady table, or any other kind of extention table has already discovered this, but I thought I would share anyway.

You are a genius Elaine,  I have one and never gave it a thought.  A great idea!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Great idea Elaine. Thanks for sharing, I always have a heck of a time with the roll of binding, it always gets out of control.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,436
Points 38,440
Linda replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 11:35 AM

Elaine I can't wait to try it! I have to bind a quilt later today or tomorrow so I'll see how it works.  I wrap my tape measures around one of the legs.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,940
Points 125,340

Elaine Phillips:
I have a Sew Steady extention table and I rolled my binding around my hand and thought to lay it in my lap, and then I had an aha moment. I slipped the rolled binding around my extention table leg closest to my right hand and it feeds itself nicely onto the quilt as I sew.

Elaine. I have the Sew Steady table and will try your tip when I put on my next binding later this week. Thanks, I wouldn't have thought of that. I flip it over my shoulder, lay it in my lap, cuss at it and try to keep the cats from playing with it.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 826
Points 16,425
Sue replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 12:13 PM

Hey Elaine,

That's a great tip!  I have a sew steady but have never thought of that, like Judy, I toss it all over the place and the cat usually ends up pulling the end out of the room. 

I'll try this the next time I have to attach binding.

Thanks much,

In the Piney Woods of East Texas

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 964
Points 19,596

Dang   I hadn't thought of using the leg of my table either.  Instead I use binding clamps (actually very small clamps from the hardware store (6 for a buck)  clamp my binding in an oval I've wrapped around my fingers, set it on the right hand side of the large throat in my machine.  It spins off and I just undo the clamps and move them in on the roll until I'm done. 

I like this idea tho.

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 648
Points 10,145

Oh, hey, Elaine - that's brilliant!  Like Judy, I'm usually cussing the bundle of binding out or competing with the cats for it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,919
Points 41,040
ls2116 replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 1:49 PM

Great idea!!!  You are a genius,  I'm just jealouse that I didn't think of that.  I did once put mine in a drawer and fed it that way, but I like your idea better!

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,475
Points 24,120

I was like the rest of you, always struggling with the dang binding, usually having it all over the floor and rolling over it with my chair. I don't know why I had that AHA moment, but I'm glad I did, and I hope it helps everyone control that nasty binding. This is probably my least favorite part of making the quilt.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 4:33 PM

Great Idea!  I will try that on my next binding...using leg of extension for machine.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 8
Points 455
Robyn replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 4:40 PM

That is fantastic!  I haven't done any large projects yet, but I would imagine the binding on a larger quilt is quite cumbersome to deal with.  I'm filing this idea away for when the time comes...

- Robyn

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

I don't have a leg to do this with.  I read a tip a while back that works for me.  When ironing my binding in half, I just let it fall gently into a bag attached to the end of the ironing board.  Then I tape the bag to the end of my sewing table.  The binding feeds out nicely.  No need to roll it up.  :o)  

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 57
Points 1,140
Judy replied on Wed, Jan 9 2013 6:07 PM

Elaine Phillips:
I slipped the rolled binding around my extention table leg closest to my right hand and it feeds itself nicely onto the quilt as I sew. I am a genius!!

Elaine, Great tip, I really like it when stuff like that happens. You are a genius alright.

Judy Kay - Stow Ohio

Page 1 of 2 (20 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use