Top 10 Posters

Different types of quilt filling

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 15 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 115
ammmarcela posted on Sun, Jan 6 2013 10:12 PM

I recently became interested in quilting and am currently working on my first quilt! The reason I became interested is because I have a quilt my great-grandmother made for me about 20 years ago that has been very much loved. I've had to repair it in places, but now it is beyond my knowledge to repair. It is quite threadbare. I would really like to recreate something similar so my wonderful quilt can be put up. This is one of the warmest quilts I've ever used, but my great-grandmother did not use batting. It is some sort of material that I am having difficulty identifying. I am hoping someone here may know about this material and also able to give some advice on using this material. Thanks!

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,424 Posts
Points 415,964
gini replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 11:08 PM

i have no idea what this is, can you tell what it is made from.   it may be a wool or cotton loosely woven together.  how old is the quilt?   quilts were often filled with old sheet blankets or thin blankets that had lost their luster and were hidden in quilts.  a sheet blanket is a lot like our flannel sheets today only a bit thicker

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 66,013
Suggested by Carolyn (CarolBeau)

That looks like a blanket.  I used to have one similar.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,849 Posts
Points 85,825

First, I can't imagine that a 20 year old quilt would be in such terrible condition. I have seen uilts from the 1840's that were barely used looking. 

I think the quilt condition might be due to the quilt fabric. It doesn't look like cotton to me. Almost like a thin colored burlap type fabric. And the "batting" fabric looks like wool. I can't figure out the threads though. I would say some kind of blanket.? 

Take it to you LQS and let them look at it. Maybe, in person, the fabric type would be more obvious.

Sukochi

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,420
Jacy replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 9:35 AM

That looks to me like your great grandmother used a blanket in place of the batting.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

I agreee it looks like a blanket, I used to have one like it also they were popular in the late 60s I think.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Sorry ammmarcela, I forgot to say Hi and it is nice to meet you.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 150 Contributor
Female
601 Posts
Points 9,570
Joyce replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 9:43 PM

Hi, nice to meet you.  I think it is a blanket.  I have one my great grandmother made the top and mom had a neighbor lady quilt and she used a old blanket as the center batting.  It is warm.  I wonder if you could just put a new backing on this quilt?  How does the front look?

Joyce

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 6:37 AM

This is definitely a much loved quilt.   I have seen that kind of wearing on a quilts, even as little as 10 years old when used daily.

It does look like your grandmother used an old blanket for the batting.  It also looks like she may have used fabric from old clothes for the top.  If a quilter had a shirt that was too worn to pass on she first cut off the buttons, and then cut out patches that were still usable.  Some of those thin pieces of shirting do wear out fast.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,335 Posts
Points 20,065

Just a quick note to say that I agree with all the others - that batting is definitely a blanket.  I grew up in my grandmother's house with that sort of blanket and I loved many of them to death.  

This is an excellent idea - I might just do it myself.  I have lots of blankets in this basic style and I love the fact that they're so thin/flexible, but heavy at the same time.  Would make an excellent quilt in my opinion!

I've always just bought them at Wal-Mart and Target.  They're really cheap and seem to last forever.  

Raleigh, NC

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,005 Posts
Points 25,020
ammmarcela, The blanket you Grandmother used was a thermal blanket and boy were they warm! Used in a quilt as batting was a wonderful idea and I"m sure this was a very warm and cuddly quilt. It appears to be in tact, is it? It looks like the plaid fabric on top is worn, if replaced you'd be good to go. I still have thermal blankets and I think they have a lot of man made fibers, ie polyester which will last forever. lol

MelodyP

Top 50 Contributor
2,757 Posts
Points 38,940
ls2116 replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 11:01 AM

The fabric with grid lines looks like weavers broadcloth to me .  can you tell if the gridlines are preprint?  The gold looks like blanket to me.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 115

I think you're right.  Now that I think about it, I can remember my grandparents having these blankets around their house.  I wonder if I can still get them anywhere to use as a batting.

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 115

Patti:
even as little as 10 years old when used daily.

Yes, this quilt is used daily, and has been to the hospital through a week of pre-mature labor.  It has been everywhere with me and has been MUCH loved.

I do now think that it is some kind of blanket and can remember seeing these blankets around their house when I was younger.  I just wonder if I can get them anywhere now to use as a batting?

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 115

MelodyP MO/KS:
It looks like the plaid fabric on top is worn, if replaced you'd be good to go

There are 7 large panels of this fabric on the top piece, and all of them are in a similar condition.  The binding is in similar condition, and I think it would be a good idea to take it apart and just replace those panels and the binding.  I just cringe at thinking about taking apart something that my great-grandmother made, as it is the only piece of her I have left.  

Page 1 of 2 (16 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use