Top 10 Posters

HAVE YOU EVER HEARD YOUR IRON GROWL (VIBRATE) AT YOU?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
936 Posts
Points 15,850
Marge P posted on Sun, Jan 6 2013 6:11 PM

I am so frustrated!  I have a replacement iron coming from EuroPro - had it less than a year and it just plain stopped - would not heat up and it was in the warranty period so they are replacing it and it should be here any day.  I had to temporarily resort to using a cheapo iron that loves to scrunch up the ends of strips and small pieces of fabric.

I had ordered a new iron from Quilt in a Day in late November.  It was backordered so I have struggled with the little fabric eating monster for the last little bit. The B/O came in a couple days before Christmas and I didn't bother to use it as I wasn't sewing at that time.

Last night I was intent on getting some strip sets made for Bonnie Hunter's Easy Street Mystery.  I sewed up a good bunch of them.  I "remembered" that I had the new iron that I hadn't opened yet.  I got it out of the box and read the manual from the 1st to last page.  This morning I was gung ho to get those strip sets pressed - set it on high (do not like to use steam most of the time) and it ironed perfectly for 30".  Then the most horrible vibrating sound came from the iron - scared the wits out of me.  I lowered the heat to low and unplugged it.

I re-read the manual - let the iron cool down and then re-plugged it.  Set it on high and it worked just fine for 10 lousy minutes!  The same horrible vibration sound happened again and I lowered it to low and unplugged it.  I am not plugging it in again.

I sent an email off to the company (won't name them here) and I will wait and see what they have to say. I got this iron on sale and it still was pretty spendy.  Do they not make anything anymore that is worth the price you pay?

I guess irons just don't like me or something but it is very frustrating.  Off to the sewing room and move my cordless iron to the ironing board and proceed with my project.

Marge P

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,854 Posts
Points 85,875

No, but if you hum a few bars........................

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,709 Posts
Points 248,377
Thea replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 6:33 PM

No but I just threw my last one out - I had never had this happen either - the handle got so hot I thought it was going to burn my hand... I had never had a handle even slightly get warm before - in the trash it went and I pulled out my retreat iron.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
7 Posts
Points 245

I've heard of the Genie in the lamp, but not of a Gremlin in a steam iron!  (lol).  If you got a Shark (Europro) iron good luck with customer service - they suck - have an F rating with the BBB.  I never buy expensive irons any more.  They don't last any longer than a cheaper one and its just more expense sending them back.

I have arthrities pretty bad and now prefer a small iron.  I have a cheapo Proctor Silex $6.00 steam iron I use for quilting.  it has plenty of steam and works great.  When it does break I won't be shedding any tears cos it cost me a fortune.

Teresa

Top 500 Contributor
141 Posts
Points 2,165

If it's a Reliable,,,the steam generator does that...sometimes to excess if you don't have enough water in it...

stitcheraz

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,541 Posts
Points 416,959
gini replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 11:11 PM

yes i have had irons gurgle and growl at me.  i ignore them and carry on.

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
704 Posts
Points 13,370
Suggested by Michelle

Marge,

I have an Oliso Iron that worked very well for 4 years, then quite heating, turned in in for repair and they sent me another one, no problem with the return except it took 4 weeks to get it in the mail.  The 2nd iron worked for a week, then started the same "growling, shuttering" so bad it almost fell off the ironing board.  Did the same as you, same issue.  Left the company a message, sent it back, they returned another iron, same issue.  They had a complete lot of irons with an issue with the "lifting mechanism" .  Not sure if yours is the same brand.   I returned it again, sent another one.  This one has lasted about 4 months, now another issue with leaking water and I have returned it again and now waiting for a return.  The company seems to stand behind the irons, just a "bad batch".  And a long time in returning, so I have a cheapo iron that I keep for reserve.  Not sure if this is any help to you? 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Marge P:
Do they not make anything anymore that is worth the price you pay?

Nope, I refuse to buy another expensive iron, at least with a cheap one you are not out an arm and a leg when it quits. I don't use a steam iron to quilt, if I need steam I use a spray bottle.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,440
Jacy replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 10:23 AM

I buy cheap irons at walmart in the $10 to $20 range and then I replace them as needed. Actually they usually last a couple of years even with heavy use. "you get what you pay for" doesn't seem to apply to irons!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
936 Posts
Points 15,850

Teresa :
If you got a Shark (Europro) iron good luck with customer service - they suck - have an F rating with the BBB.  I never buy expensive irons any more.  They don't last any longer than a cheaper one and its just more expense

Teresa - The Shark is the one I had to send back as it no longer heated up.  I called and they emailed me a UPS return label and also emailed me when the new iron was ordered.  I haven't rec'd it yet but so far, they have been okay to deal with. Hopefully they are doing better on the customer service.  Thanks for replying.

stitcheraz - Yes, the iron in question is a Reliable.  Yesterday I was thinking it was misnamed but have a post to enter  in just a minute and maybe it will be okay.

Michelle - sounds like your luck on irons is worse than mine.  My latest iron doesn't have a lifter mechanism so that wasn't the problem.  That would be pretty scary if the lifting mechanism takes on a life of its own.

Spudgramma - I do the same, a spray bottle within reach for anytime I want any moisture.  I got tired of having to mess with the water a long time ago.

Jacy - You are so right - getting what you pay for apparently does not pertain to expensive irons.  I had a Rowenta for YEARS but it finally died.

This morning at 8:00 AM I got a call from Luigi from Reliable Corporation in Toronto Canada.  He said he was reading my email and he asked me to please plug the iron in and he would explain what had happened yesterday.  I told him that it was mostly  packed up ready to go  back.  He nicely asked me to please unpack it and turn it on.  I did and as soon as the red light went out, he asked me to touch the steam control on the left side of the iron.  Oh, that lovely vibration sound started.  He told me to touch the area again and it stopped.  

This iron has a right hand and left hand area to turn the steam on.  When I look at the iron and the position where my hand and thumb are when I am pressing is right adjacent to the steam on/off area.  So guess I am going to have to retrain myself on how I hold an iron.  This doesn't seem like a very user friendly feature and am thinking I will try one of the little rubberized dots right next to the on/off area and when I hit that area, it will remind me to not put my hand any higher up towards the front of the iron.  It really did do a good job of pressing and weight wise it felt good.  I think they need to consider a design change though.

I plan to give it another chance and hope that it will be okay.  Thanks for all the replies.

Marge P

Top 500 Contributor
141 Posts
Points 2,165

Glad you heard from the company with step by information.  It's good to know they're paying attention.

stitcheraz

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use