Top 10 Posters

Help please, how would one quilt this?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 11 Replies | 7 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
90 Posts
Points 2,015
I have been practicing and now am getting cold feet...LOL. I wanted to do it myself on my home machine but the more I look at it the more terrified I get... yikes. Not sure whether to use stipple, cross hatch, meander, echo....any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,739 Posts
Points 436,625
Nana replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 9:30 PM

Denise

I would do a wavy meander to mimic water currents.  Of course the more I look at the little pic I think I may be seeing the sky instead of water.   In which case I would do a meander with star shapes every so often.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,537 Posts
Points 416,944
gini replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 12:33 AM

denise, what pattern are you the most comfortable with.  i would do that one, relax and have fun. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 4:38 AM

Hi Denise,

I agree with Gini, I think anything you do will be lovely. I immediately thought of a shell pattern. Please post pictures after you're done.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
262 Posts
Points 5,185

I wish it was a bigger picture, but what about a large modified clam shell? ( Like the rainbow), but outline the stars, and go "under " them.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,040 Posts
Points 13,220

You could also echo the stars and other objects. The meandering stars suggested by Nana would work well for the border if you echo quilt. 

aka Grandma Sunshine

Top 100 Contributor
Female
735 Posts
Points 18,400

No help from me as the pic is too small for me to tell if its a sky or sea theme, but I wanted to say how much I love your border of four different colours.  I would never have thought of that in a million years.  Wonderful.

Brigit-Carol

Top 500 Contributor
Female
90 Posts
Points 2,015
Thanks so much to everyone who answered, it is greatly appreciated. I will probably stare at it for another week before I do anything or I will bite the bullet and send it out to be done. For anyone interested in looking at larger pictures I did upload to my gallery the larger pictures. The forum would only allow me to upload a 64 kb large file so had to make it considerably smaller. I think they should put a link in that we can use to link the question to pictures in our galleries where there are large pictures. I have been practicing but am still a bit scared...don't want to ruin it. Thank you Brigit-Carol for compliment about border. I was not sure what to do there and thought why not match the star balloon colors and do multicolor border...Thinking about binding it the same way but I am not sure yet...will have to look at when it is done being quilted and decide. :-)
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,537 Posts
Points 416,944
gini replied on Sun, Jan 6 2013 11:15 PM

here's what i do.   i quilt it and hate the work i've done,  i stick it in a dark hole for a few months.  when i drag it back out it miraculously looks wonderful.  something about the dark hole and time makes them look better. 

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
704 Posts
Points 13,370

Denise,

I looked to me, like it wanted lots of meandering stars.  I usually have been putting my quilts on the long arm, look at them for a day or two, draw on my dry erase board a few ideas, and then just dive right in. Post pics of this when its done, I love the colors!

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,700 Posts
Points 248,197
Thea replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 8:23 AM

Denise, I would sit down at the machine and tet my imagination take over as I started to quilt - if I thought of something that I wanted to do specifically in some sections I might mark them - but this looks like a fun quilt with lots of opportunities.

Top 200 Contributor
364 Posts
Points 4,680
Kelli replied on Mon, Jan 7 2013 8:23 AM

I would outline and echo around what ever features I wanted to stand out the most. Then I would meander the rest of the quilt or loops. I find loops to be sooooo much easier in my mind. Good luck. I am sure whatever you decide to do it will look awesome.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use