Top 10 Posters

Sewing Machine threading pattern?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,538 Posts
Points 23,145
Susie posted on Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:50 PM

I was able to pick up a Sears Kenmore model 158-19141 for $15!

It's a fairly old machine, but doesn't have instructions on how to thread it.  And I can't figure out what I've missed.  I know there is at least one guide that I can't seem to locate.

Anyone have any ideas?  I'm including a couple pictures of it in the hopes that someone can help me out.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,770 Posts
Points 65,998

http://www.sewconsult.com/kenmore/158%20manuals/kenmore_instruction_manual_158_1941.html

you can download a manual from this site for $5.95.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,538 Posts
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 9:09 PM

AWESOME!  Thank you so very much!!!

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,221 Posts
Points 41,055

Susie,

I had a 1961 Kenmore for years and just gave it to my grandson this last summer, so I don't have the manual handy to look for reference.  If you can find one that is your best bet.  But, I will tell you it definitely is not threaded correctly.  The one thing that jumped out at me was the thread stretched out from the spool over the face of the machine to the lower guide on the front .  There should be at least two thread guides across the top that the thread goes through before it gets to that lower guide (on the upper part of the machine - one toward the back and one toward the front) that keep the thread from rubbing against the face of the machine.

When I tried to detail in on your pictures they were too fuzzy to see any detail.  Can you try again with higher resolution?  

Hopefully someone else on QCA has an old Kenmore sitting around and can help you more...

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,538 Posts
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 9:24 PM

Donna,

I thought the same thing.  Oddly enough, though, there is only ne guide on the back and then one on the top.  I'll have to order the book so I know what I did wrong. 

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 100 Contributor
Female
697 Posts
Points 11,420
Suggested by Joni

Susie, my Sister has one of these machines from our childhood that she tried to give me. I could not believe how heavy it was so I told her I did not want it. Are they good machines? 

from TN

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,538 Posts
Points 23,145
Susie replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 1:51 PM

Bev, I'm not sure if it's a good machine or not.  Kenmore is usually a good brand, from the old days.  If I remember correctly, Janome made many of the Kenmore machines.

My DD needs a machine since mine just plain doesn't like her, so I figured for $15, it would be worth it, even if I have to spend some money to get it tuned up.  It's a mechanical machine, so I can likely tune it up myself.  Oddly enough, it's not as heavy as my ancient Montgomery Ward machine that I love so much.  And it has the ability to be an open-arm machine, so I can use it for clothing much easier than my machine.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,784 Posts
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 1:54 PM

Bev

That machine is heavy because it is probably made of cast iron, I would grab it as quick as you can,  have it serviced and take it home.  Machines to day are rarely made of good metal and as a rule don't hold up to heavy (continued) use.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use