Pfaff problems and free motion quilting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
20 Posts
Points 325
Cindy posted on Fri, Jan 4 2013 7:28 AM

I have a Pfaff Expressions 2.0 and have been having problems with it skipping stitches when doing FMQ. I have had it to the shop several times and tried various needle sizes and types of thead and varying the speed at which I sew.

I was wondering if others have had the same type of problem, especially with their Pfaff?  Would like to know as I may opt to buy a new machine for FMQ.  However, it does piecing just wonderfully.

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,346 Posts
Points 241,972
Thea replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 7:32 AM

Hi, I have a Pfaff 2170 and yes I had a problem with one direction... and it skipping stitches.  i would break needles too  - for the life of me at the moment, I can't remember which way but it was either forwards or backwards.  I had to make sure I used certain threads too - it did not like YLI threads at all - or rayon threads - I could use polyester or cotton.  I love the stitch for regular stitching so I bought a Janome 6500 for my quilting.  I do not know much about the 2.0 but thought that they had fixed this problem.  You might check out the thread type that you are using - I know you said you tried different types of threads.  I didn't have many problems with R/A polyester thread or Cotton Aurifil.  I wish you luck.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,398 Posts
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 9:26 AM

lacyacre2:
I was wondering if others have had the same type of problem, especially with their Pfaff? 

I did with my pfaff expressions 4.0.   After a few attempts to repair it, the company declared it a lemon and gave me a knew one.  No cost.  No cost for the repair attempts either, and a new warranty.   The one I have now, and have used a lot doing everything since then works perfectly in every way.  Its a dream to operate. 

One of the things the shop owner did before declaring it a lemon was to sew backwards, no hands, to see if it would sew in a straight line.  It didn't.

I certainly had my doubts with pfaff during that time.  I'd had another pfaff I'd had without problem for 12 yrs until I broke a part that could not be replaced without major expense.

I will probably stick with pfaff if I ever get another one, but only if the local dealer doesn't retire.  She can always be trusted to make it right.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
20 Posts
Points 325
Cindy replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 12:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback, looking on line, it appears this maybe a problem for many Pfaff machines in general and it is very frustrating!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,525 Posts
Points 50,995
Ginny replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 12:41 PM

I too learned about the problems with the pfaff machines when I was planning on buying a new one.  It seems since they are now made in Cina, the quality has really suffered. Oh to bring back the German manufacture of thes previously wonderful machines - now that would be wonderful.  When I went to purchase a new machine, I got a babylock, I like it, but it does not have a built in walking for feature like the pfaff and I really miss that.  The attachable walking foot just does not substitute for that.   Ginny

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,728 Posts
Points 364,677
Kris replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 4:28 PM

I have the expression 4.0. I'm not sure if the 2.0 is the same but my machine has two different free motion settings. I have better luck with the "Sensormatic" free motion. With this mode I do not drop the feed dogs. The machine senses how fast you're moving the fabric and adjusts the presser foot pressure accordingly. The other mode results in skipped stitches when I speed up or change direction.

I don't do a lot of FMQ on this machine just for smaller projects and when my other machine won't act right.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
105 Posts
Points 2,710

I have a Pfaff 4.0 Expressions that is now at the shop for the 2nd time in 3 months.  I thought it was just me doing something stupid like not winding the bobbin right or threading it wrong, because it was skipping stitches.  Now it doesn't even pick up the bobbin thread!  And it doesn't sew straight either (thought that was me too!)  You all have made me feel a little better about my stupidity level about sewing (I'm relatively new at it!).  Is there really something wrong with some of these machines?  Mine is about 3 yrs old....

Nancy P

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,728 Posts
Points 364,677
Kris replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 6:08 PM

Nancy P,

I think there was something wrong in the first batches that were made. I know the take up lever was replaced because the thread would slip off it. Mine is OK but I love my Creative 2170 a whole lot better. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
105 Posts
Points 2,710

Thanks Kris,

I will ask the repair people tomorrow when I see them!  Is 3-4 yrs ago part of the first batches? Appreciate the info...

Nancy P

Not Ranked
Female
20 Posts
Points 325
Cindy replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 10:33 PM

I purchased mine almost 3 years ago and so it could be the problem with poor quality; I called an independent repair shop and learned that Pfaff was having quality control problems are are now made in China vs Germany.  I thought mine was a German made machine, on the front of the machine it states 'German Engineering" but on the bottom (which I just learned) it has a tag that says made in China !  Kind of like a bait and switch.....  I feel as if it is just a problem with the free motion as I was using the same thread and needle to stitch in the ditch and do some gentle curve quilting on the same quilt top without any problems.  Back to the repair shop I go in the morning.

Not Ranked
Female
20 Posts
Points 325
Cindy replied on Fri, Jan 4 2013 10:37 PM

Kris,  The 2.0 does not have a sensor on it.  What other brand of machine do you have?

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,728 Posts
Points 364,677
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 2:26 AM

Cindy:

Kris,  The 2.0 does not have a sensor on it.  What other brand of machine do you have?

Cindy,

the machine doesn't have a sensor (than I can see anyway). The setting is just called "Sensormatic Free Motion)". Not sure how it works but the foot hovers when I go fast and sets down when I slow down.

My quilting machine is a Babylock QCP. I use it on a frame purchased together).  I think this model is discontinued.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,728 Posts
Points 364,677
Kris replied on Sat, Jan 5 2013 2:28 AM

Nancy P :

Thanks Kris,

I will ask the repair people tomorrow when I see them!  Is 3-4 yrs ago part of the first batches? Appreciate the info...

You're welcome. Not sure how far back they go. When I bought mine they told me some parts were updated as customers complained.

Not Ranked
28 Posts
Points 140
TxGal replied on Mon, Feb 11 2013 11:15 PM

Cindy,

I don't have the Expression, but I bought my LAST Pfaff (2027 model) in 2007.  I wanted a simple machine to take to classes and for travel.  I THOUGHT I was getting a great deal after the quilt show here but boy, was that machine a LEMON !  I never thought to check either, since I thought ALL Pfaffs were German-made.  "German Engineering" ... BAH !  Turns out, mine was made in Czechoslovakia !!  Pfaff was bought by the parent company of Viking and initially most were made in Sweden.  Then they shipped manuf. to China.  Since then, from most I've heard, the quality has truly gone downhill, and quickly.  I have several friends who had their Expressions replaced or repaired numerous times and only 2 I know STILL have them.  Both are still having problems with stitching quality and FMQ.  Really, really sad ... 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,794 Posts
Points 31,645
Annie replied on Wed, Feb 13 2013 1:23 PM

Cindy,

I have  4.0 and have trouble only sometimes.  I swear, I can't figure out a common denominator.  My final conclusion:  walk away and come back to it after a day.  I did that just this weekend and I went from breaking 5 needles, thread breaking ever few minutes to everything working perfectly and all I did was turn the darn thing off an leave it for a day.  There may be something to turning it off and allowing it to restart with it's settings, kind of like rebooting your phone or computer.

I also thought that spray basting instead of using pins makes the needle a little gummy.  But then all worked well the next day !!  Then I thought I sprayed heavier in some areas and that caused the problem.  Then I thought maybe leaving the quilt sandwich sit too long after spray basting could be a problem.  So as you can figure by now, I have no idea why it works one day and not the next.

Hope you find out and then let me know :) 

Thanks for letting me vent .

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use