Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 7
Points 185
E'yvonne King Posted: Thu, Jan 3 2013 5:26 PM

What am I doing wrong?  On a double of quilts I have made, I used the window method of using fusible on my appliqué and use either e-stitch or a small zig zag.  I noticed that the edges of my appliqué are fraying and my appliqué are coming apart.  I have washed my fabrics to be sure there is no sizing and such before appling the fusible Is there something else that I may not be doing to keep this from happening?  help!  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,344
Points 414,814
gini replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 9:08 PM

unless you have done a satin stitch around your shapes,  the areas between the zigzags will eventually ravel.   fusibles are great for  wall hangings, but not so great for quilts that are used.  

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

I agree with gini. I appliqued on all my grand-kids crib quilts and I did a really tight satin stitch and they were washed and washed and they are still not unraveled.

I also wanted to say Hi and it is nice to meet you.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,664
Points 37,515
ls2116 replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 10:22 PM

That happened to my applique too!  On my next applique I think I'll try stay stitching first then stitch again with embroidery.  On my frayed edges I used fabric glue but really didn't care for result of stiff fabric.

Quilting My Rainbow

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use