Top 10 Posters

AccuQuilt, QuiltCut2 or any other alternatives?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
35 Posts
Points 1,355
LearningDayByDay posted on Wed, Jan 2 2013 6:19 PM

My least favorite part of quilting is the seemingly endless chore of cutting pieces.  And I dislike this not just because it takes so long but because no matter how careful I am I cannot cut out nice clean squares or rectangles.  There is always that eigth or sixteenth of an inch that every piece seems to be off.

So I've been googling ways to get around this and the two items that seem to pop up are the AccuQuilt cutting system and the QuiltCut2 fabric cutter.

Anyone use these - any pros or cons?  good stuff and worth the purchase or are they "junky?"

The AccuQuilt looks like it may be more than I need as I'm still quilting with straight lines only.  If I did a lot of applique I might say yes to this, but I'm not there yet.  Also it looks like it only handles small pieces of fabric, so I'd have to cut items up before putting them in the machine.  And does this do long strips?  From what I can see it only handles certain set shapes but I could be wrong.

The QuiltCut2 looks more like what I need but it also looks like a lot of work, adjusting clamps and all that.  However if it cuts accurate, straight, even lines it may be worth the extra work.  It is hard to learn?

Any comments you have on either of these I'd love to hear, both the good and the bad.  Also, are there other cutting machine alternatives that I may not have seen?

Thanks, Ellie

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
90 Posts
Points 2,015
I have both the AccuQuilt and the QuiltCut2 and I have to say that I love the AccuQuilt Go. It does a lot more than applique cuts. I would not go with the GO Baby but instead get the GO so you are not limited in size. You should go to their website and look over all the dies that come with the GO and they are making more and more. Like you, I have a hard time cutting straight anything and The AccuQuilt worked beautifully for me...I have 3-1/2 strip cutter, 2-1/2 inch strip cutter and squares, 4-1/2 inch squares, 6-1\/2 inch square and triangle, half square, drunkard path and a few other dies. Like I said they are making more and more and they will work with you and make dies for you special order. Good luck with your decision. I hope this has helped you somewhat. Denilyn
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
90 Posts
Points 2,015
Let me also say that with the Accuquilt GO you can cut up to 6 layers of fabric with some of the dies...you need to follow their directions and make sure you place your fabric correctly. I just finished a beach bag that required 240 2-1/2 inch squares. I used my GO to cut them which had nine 2-1/2 inch squares on 1 die x 6 layers of cotton fabric (other thicker fabric you can only cut 2 to 4 layers of like flannel) gave me 54 blocks in one pass which took me about 10 minutes if that so you can see it took me no time to cut all the squares I needed for the project and they were all accurate. There are a lot of videos on YouTube and also Accuquilt has a lot of videos to show you how to use it, how to properly place your fabric, et cetera.
Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 115
Judy replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 7:29 PM

I have just received the QuiltCut2 as a gift.  I'm super excited about it.  Not a lot of work,  adjusting the clamps takes as long as laying down a straight ruler. Very easy to use.  The reason I chose this rather than the AccuQuilt is there is no fabric waste. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
90 Posts
Points 2,015
I have very little fabric waste if I place my fabric correctly...and they also have tips for making sure you don't waste fabric. Any leftover fabric would make good for another project so for me there is no waste, you can make string quilts and also use scraps for other projects. The QuiltCut2 is good too but I still found it difficult to cut straight as the arm had some play in it... :-) There are some dealers who carry both of these. Go give them a try and talk to your dealer, visit both sites and check out all the videos on both sites. Good luck with your decision. :-)
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Points 1,355

Thank you for the info!!  I guess rather than it being a one or the other choice it is more that they work together, each doing something a little different??  Does that sound right?

With the accuquilt - does this do long strips, for instance will it cut a yard into 3" strips?  And I would have to purchase a separate die for that, right?  And another die to do 2" strips?  and another for 4" strips, etc.? (They look kind of pricy.)

Denise - you say you found the QuiltCut2 to have some play in the arm, is there any way to adjust it - maybe clamping it tighter? 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
90 Posts
Points 2,015
Yes, the dies can get quite pricey, it is better to wait until they have a sale which they do on a regular basis. I have tried to figure out why the QuiltCut2 has so much play in it and gives but I have not been able to figure it out or a way to prevent it. As far as the GO is concerned with cutting strips most of the strip cutter dies are open ended meaning that you can layer it up to 6 times depending on fabric thickness giving you one long 3-1/2 inch, 2-1/2 inch etc. strip. If you want to know more about either product from others you can go to the yahoo groups site...they both have groups on there that people have joined to get a better feel for either one. Hope this helps. :-)
Top 150 Contributor
Female
687 Posts
Points 13,085

My husband bought the AccuQuilt for my birthday last year. Not sure if I would actually use it, but I started using it to cut a few of my long 2 1/2 " long strips ( my first die I bought to go with it), and Loved it!!  Now I look for sales on the website, in stores, etc. when they go on 1/2 price.  Each die is separate, and others are correct, you can get 6 layers on there if you fold the fabric carefully. One pass thru and all your strips are cut.  They are so accurate! Also the triangles have the tips trimmed off, so if you can put one layer of material right side up, next color right side down, I have been able to cut my triangles, take off the die and go right to the sewing machine ready to sew.  If you watch a few of the videos on their website, they give you lots of ideas.  I also went together with a friend and we decided which dies we really liked and would use for several quilts, then we bought them together and share them and the machine.  That way the investment goes further.  One sale last year, was everything you bought for $99, you got another $99 for free.  So their sales are good, just keep looking.  You might try them out in a store if any around you to see if you like it. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,837 Posts
Points 366,197
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 3:36 AM

I have both systems and I use the Quilt Cut a whole lot more. The clamps that hold the fabric in place don't require a lot of work at all. I like that there is nothing more to buy with this system. I also like that the ruler can be angled for diamonds, HSTs etc. No ruler slippage. If you visit their website you'll see a pretty good demo of the product.

The Accuquilt Go! is great for appliqué shapes but I find it cumbersome for strips. I also find that fabric can shift (due to static buildup) which results in less than accurate cuts. 

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use