Top 10 Posters

Why can't I get my pieces to match properly???

Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 33 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 29
Points 972
sissi Posted: Fri, Jan 22 2010 6:32 AM

I really take my time to cut the pieces to the measurement - I sew them at 1/4' seam - when I put the rows together, there is one that look smaller, the corners don't match - it is so frustrating.....

what I'm I doing wrong?

HELP!

Celine

Celine

• | Post Points: 65
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 7:19 AM

Hi Sissi.  That is frustrating, isn't it?  How much smaller is the block that's the wrong size?  I would measure the seam allowances first.  If they are ok, then be sure that all seams are pressed flat.  You can also check the dimensions of each piece in the block to be sure they were cut correctly.  These are the areas where I usually find my problem when this happens to me. 

Hope this helps.  If not, I'm sure there will be others with suggestions too. 

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

a few places to check are..

from the back, check you seam allowance to make sure that it is a perfect 1/4"

make sure there is not fold in the seam...when you press your seams sometimes you can press a fold into it...make sure they are pressed flat

make sure that the pieces are cut the right size

if it is an 1/8 or so..maybe think about making your seam a little smaller for that one block...

hard to explain on the computer sometimes...good luck with the problem

Ontario, Canada

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 116
Points 2,770
Trudy replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 10:13 AM

I just had this happen to me last night.  I measured and trimmed up all my blocks to make sure they were exact and wouldn't you know it, when I assembled the rows together, one is off a bit but the end blocks are lined up.  I started to freak out about it and contemplated tearing them out but finally convinced myself that since the end blocks were square, there probablly wasn't much I could do so I left it alone.  A little imperfection gives it character...although it makes me want to rip my hair out.  Some say that if it is perfect, it doesn't look hand made. 

Good luck!

Trudy

Downey, CA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,299
Points 414,044
gini replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 10:58 AM

sissi, most of the time when your block is just a little smaller or a little bigger,  it is your seam that is the problem.  it is not unusual for a pattern to be wrong either,  that happens more than you'ld think.  what pattern are you working on?   just a smidgeon more or less on a seam can make a difference and the more seams the bigger the difference.  1/16 of an inch doesn't seem like much, but  it  can add up over a lot of seams.   gini

gini in north idaho

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 546
Points 11,066
Happy replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 11:06 AM

when that happens to me I find that my cutting is off

Happy

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,299
Points 414,044
gini replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 11:08 AM

happy, that's a good point. your cutting has to be very accurate, too. maybe, mearsure after you cut  to see if your pieces are exact before you piece.      gini

gini in north idaho

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

sissi:
what I'm I doing wrong?

Your human like all of the rest of us!!!  The hints others have posted here are a great help and the most often errors.  Quilting is funny like that!  Chin up -- have fun and laugh at yourself and all of the rest of us, because believe me we all have seams that just don't match up!  Darn it anyway.  LOL

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,299
Points 414,044
gini replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 11:13 AM

Snowbird Quilter:
because believe me we all have seams that just don't match up! 

and, the funny thing is, it seems like the seams in my face are matching up more and more now,   hmm,  but that has nothing to do with quilting.        gini

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 962
Points 19,541

gini:
seams in my face

Ah Gini, You've done it again!  I really don't want to think about those seams!

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,705
Points 436,495
Nana replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 3:08 PM

Gini

Some days the seams on my face are about the only ones that match up.....LOL.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,414
Points 61,767

Sissi--

You've already received some very good suggestions, so there's nothing I can add.  I've been in your position many times, though, and can empathize with your frustration.  Sometimes I just decide to accept the "shortcomings".  There's no shame in imperfection IMHO.

Kissimmee, FL

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Celine, as Joyce said, all of the suggestions you've received are great. One other thing you might consider is sewing your seams at a scant 1/4" which means you moved the needle to the right a click or two. I believe this item is the single most important thing I learned when I first startee quilting. Unfortunately, I didn't learn it until I'd been quilting for about 2 or 3 yearrs!

Gillette, WY

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,201
Points 239,087
Thea replied on Fri, Jan 22 2010 9:52 PM

Sissi, All the advice you have recieved is wonderful.   The only thing I would add is each persons 1/4" is different but if your 1/4" is the same on all your blocks then they should all match up ...I no longer try to  make my seam the 1/4" but I try very hard to - but what I try most is to make them all the same - no matter if I am 1 thread shy or 1 thread over the 1/4" - if they are all the same you should be okay...

To accomplish this I use my 1/4" foot with the guide on it and fun my fabric right along it.  If you don't have a foot like this you can make a guide by using different things...when I first started i needed a longer guide then the foot ws so I used several stickies - I put the needle down on the 1/4" place and set my stickies right along that and run my fabric along that.  It gave me consistent seams.

Some times I find that I iron instead of press too and you would be amazed at how I can change the size of a block with my iron - especially if I use steam - I would try pressing with a dry iron for a while and see if that helps you.

Set the seam first with the iron on top - then gently press it back and lay the iron on top to gently press it over. 

those are the only things I can think of that might help you!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,299
Points 414,044
gini replied on Sat, Jan 23 2010 6:40 PM

Althea :
if your 1/4" is the same on all your blocks then they should all match up ...

thea, this only works if you are just doing  simple squares, or a pattern like log cabin..   if you have triangles or many seams.   the blocks  may not  be the right size to match up to the blocks you are adding them to.    and  if your seams are a scosh too big they can cut off points.  

i've made my iron my friend too.  it is amazing how many oopsies you can fix with an iron.      gin

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 3 (34 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use