Top 10 Posters

Do you square up panels before adding borders, etc?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Female
90 Posts
Points 2,015
This is my first panel and I am not sure if I should square it up before I add borders to it or not. My gut feeling tells me I should but then I also am not sure just how to do this either...any suggestions?

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

The first and only time I used a panel, they were so crooked that I added the border larger than I needed and then squared the whole thing - Hope this makes sense.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
90 Posts
Points 2,015
That makes perfect sense...thanks so very much. :-)
  • | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
64 Posts
Points 2,085
Caryl replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 4:54 PM

Regarding panels:  I do a heavy spritz and let them dry without stretching.  I then press them (not so much iron...) then I measure and assess the panel.  Did it straighten on it's own?  Sometimes it the way that it was on the bolt or hanging in the store.  If it is off a little, a border sometimes is all it needs, othertimes I try to find a place that is straight and work from there.  I have had a few that I just cut up and made a different sort of quilt.

Good luck!

Caryl in Buda, TX

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
550 Posts
Points 8,685
Joyce replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 4:55 PM

I've never been sure how to square up a quilt.  I put it together then fold it over and trim off the places that aren't even.  I had a quilting friend that always did that for me and she passed away this past fall.  So I could use instruction on squaring up also.

Joyce

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use