Top 10 Posters

I'm struggling today . . . Cried myself to sleep last night.

Page 5 of 6 (83 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 82 Replies | 19 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,034
Points 169,723
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 9:47 PM

Kristen, thanks for the update on the party.  I'm glad you had a good time and got through the day for your dad.

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 697
Points 11,405
Bev replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 10:05 PM

Hey Kristen, I was hoping for a post telling us how your trip home was for your Dad's birthday. From the pictures and comments it looked like he had a great party, so yeah for him.  It is good that you were able to reconnect with some old friends while you were there. 

from TN

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 473
Points 7,440
Joyce replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 10:17 PM

Kristin very nice pics of you and the family.  Thanks for letting us see.  Good to hear you had a nice time with your dad.  My mom is in the hospital and I spent part of today looking at nursing homes.  They say I can't take care of her anymore.  I do realize that but it doesn't make it any easier.  The hospital called just a few min. ago and said they had to give her meds to calm her down tonight.  I will go again in the am to spend time with her.  Mon. will be the day to move her to the nursing home.  She doesn't understand and wants to come home.  My heart is breaking.  Trusting God to get us all thru this.  Sorry for sounding off.

Joyce

• | Post Points: 95
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,034
Points 169,723
Marie replied on Sat, Jan 12 2013 10:43 PM

Joyce, we're here for you, so sorry you have to go through this, it's so difficult.  ((((( HUGS)))))

Millbury, MA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 283
Points 4,415

Kristin:

And me ........

Kristen, you look terrific.  Thank you for letting us know how it went for you. Your Dad looks so happy.  And reconnecting with old friends is priceless. God bless.

MN Deb

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 398
Points 4,920
Jean replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 7:42 AM

Glad to see you had a good visit with your dad.  Enjoy the memories and catch up with your "old" friends.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,760
Points 247,454
Barbara replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 8:15 AM

Kristin, great pictures ,thanks for sharing.  Happy things worked out ok  .Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,371
Points 48,735
Ginny replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 8:33 AM

Kristen,   You look beautiful.  If that smile is pasted on your face  it is a happy one.   I am so glad you took our advise and enjoyed the party.    Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,371
Points 48,735
Ginny replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 8:52 AM

Joyce, I am very sorry that you have to go thru this with your Mom.  I had to do similar things with both of my parents.  My father was put into a very lovely nursing home after being abused in a previous one.  But when he went back into the hospital, they wouldn't take him back because we hadn't paid to reserve his room,  so he went to a small older nursing home that I had questions about  through previous experience with patients from that home years earlier.  Well , things had changed greatly with a change in ownership.  It was a very nice and caring place.  In fact, my Mom requested to be placed there when she had to go to a nursing home.  They gave her great care.   Good luck in your search.    Ginny

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,338
Points 38,885
Mimi replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 10:03 AM

Kristin,

I was so glad to read that God granted you the grace you needed while celebrating your dad's birthday.  We can't pick our family but we can pick our friends.  And you have many here at QCA.  Keep smiling - you've got a beauty!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 223
Points 4,380

Hi Joyce --

I'm so very sorry to hear about your Mom.  We have been struggling with getting my Dad into a nursing home since my Mom passed in 2010.  He just says that if he moves out of the house then he'll die.  He's been in and out of the hospital numerous times with broken bones, heart failure, and other illnesses.  The hospital releases him to a nursing home but as soon as he feels better he discharges himself and finds somebody to drive him home.  Family, friends, parishioners at his church, and medical professionals have all told him he needs to be in assisted living or a nursing home but he won't have anything to do with it.  Even the archdiocese of Minneapolis and the bishop have urged him to move but he balks at any hint of moving.  We did finally get him to agree to wear a Life Line Alert necklace so now when he falls the police and paramedics get called right away.  His neighbors, friends, and church parishioners are great . . . he gets at least three visits a day from people who are just checking on him and that's something that I will be forever grateful for.

My thoughts and prayers are coming your way for some help for your Mom.

Joyce:

Kristin very nice pics of you and the family.  Thanks for letting us see.  Good to hear you had a nice time with your dad.  My mom is in the hospital and I spent part of today looking at nursing homes.  They say I can't take care of her anymore.  I do realize that but it doesn't make it any easier.  The hospital called just a few min. ago and said they had to give her meds to calm her down tonight.  I will go again in the am to spend time with her.  Mon. will be the day to move her to the nursing home.  She doesn't understand and wants to come home.  My heart is breaking.  Trusting God to get us all thru this.  Sorry for sounding off.

Joyce

Kristin Lee WICKMAN Albrecht  

(I'm a WICKMAN . . . Don't let anybody tell you any different)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 714
Points 14,000
Sue replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 10:27 AM

"told him he needs to be in assisted living or a nursing home but he won't have anything to do with it."

Kristin,

My dad was told the same thing, but he insisted that he wanted to stay in his own home and "die in my own bed".  My dad had the beginnings of Alzheimer's, he died in his own bed in August of 2011, peacefully.  I had hospice in to take care of him in the end.  The police said that was the best thing I could have done for him.  One of my sisters was resentful and to this day will not speak to me.  I feel it is her loss, not mine.  My brother and other sister are very close, we talk or e-mail every other day.  We have tried to include the resentful one but she refuses to budge and carries her anger at us like a talisman.  She even left his burial service early because she said " I wasn't honoring his last wishes".

I sincerely hope that you will continue to try to be at peace with your family, write, send cards, do whatever it takes to be a part of their lives, even if you feel it hurts.  After all is said and done, family is all we ever have.  Friends are great and wonderful and listen and offer advice, but family is forever.

God speed.

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 256
Points 4,675
Lesley replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 12:09 PM

Kristin

What a lovely photo and the others are great too, love the one of Dad. Treasure your Dad! If he's anything like my Dad was the only man in my life I could truly rely on!

Hugs xx

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 256
Points 4,675
Lesley replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 12:14 PM

Joyce

I am so sorry about your Mum. I hope you find the right place for her. Don't feel guilty you are doing what is best for all of you. Wishing you well in your search.

XX

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,659
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sun, Jan 13 2013 1:31 PM

Kristen

Beautiful pics.  I am glad that your time with your dad was good.  And the difficulties not too bad.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 5 of 6 (83 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use