Page 2 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 45 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,848
Points 85,790
Sukochi replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 8:57 AM

Thanks for all this info, Barbara. But this does not answer y eustion. You had said that certain lines were Civil War fabrics (Kansas Troubles, Thimbleberries, I can't remember the other one, right now). But you didn't mention some lines that say they are Civil War fabrics, so how is that designation determined? I s it the colors and prints vs. other colors and prints?

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 9:19 AM

Sukochi , I said they are similar but they are not CW ,they just have some of the same colors and can be used. this line of fabric are on their own .. the KT is based on the women coming to the west  into Kansas and Missouri ,around the time of the CW. Thimbleberry I'd have to check into . as I don't know the history on it.

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,848
Points 85,790
Sukochi replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 9:28 AM

Aunt Ju's Quilt Shop, online, has Civil War fabric on sale for $6.00 a yard. Let's go shopping, ladies~! They also have one pattern that is $4.00 a yard. I have used it and it is beautiful.

Sukochi

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,188
Points 15,900
Susan replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 9:41 AM

Thank you Barbara and Sukochi, for info on CW fabric. It is interesting history. I love CW and Thimbleberries fabric. Have a few books, too, but did not have this info.       Susan

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 9:42 AM

Sukochi, I wish I could ,don't have the funds right now saving for the Branson retreat ..Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,286
Points 173,448
Marie replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 11:38 AM

Sukochi, I had that same question when I was in the CW swap.  I never paid attention to CW fabric at the time so I went to CT and bought fabric that was labeled CW.  I never did know if it was acceptable.  Maybe Barbara could comment on that as she was part of the swap.  Since all of this talk I'm getting very interested in that line of fabric and would love to make a quilt with these fabrics.

Millbury, MA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 19,778
Points 248,014
Barbara replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 11:45 AM

Marie , many shop will sell fabirc and label it CW, if they do then its ok to use. I've seen it labeled everything from ;Gettsburg to Charletteville As long has it is following the basic lines of CW its okay. I have even used Dear Jane fabirc for my CW quilts . Barbara

Liberty,Missouri

EAT!! SLEEP !! QUILT!!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,825
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 11:53 AM

I tend to lump everything of a certain design and color pathway as Civil War fabric whether it is labeled that way or not.   There are centain colors and designs that you see in all of those fabrics.   They are reminicent of that era in history.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,473
Points 116,865

Marie:
Since all of this talk I'm getting very interested in that line of fabric and would love to make a quilt with these fabrics.

Marie, I love CW era fabrics.  I am drawn to the warm homey colors. I started in Barbara's Parasols group with two books, The Civil War Sewing Circle and Little Quilts.

I made several doll quilts and then didn't know what to do with them. They were so cute but I really didn't have use for doll quilt sizes. So I put them together. Since they were all different sizes I had to move things around and make adjustments with the log cabin blocks. I just finished the border and hope to quilt it later this week.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,825
Nana replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 12:09 PM

Judy

Those are really cute all put into one.   You could have used them each as wallhangings and changed them out every couple of months....LOL>

Vinton, Virginia

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,473
Points 116,865

Nana:

Judy

Those are really cute all put into one.   You could have used them each as wallhangings and changed them out every couple of months....LOL>

That is a really good idea. I do that with my calendar. But we have not an inch of unfilled wall space except for part of one wall in the bedroom. I'm making a square wall hanging for that wall and will finish it....someday.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,286
Points 173,448
Marie replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 12:39 PM

Judy, what a great idea, I love it!  The colors are wonderful!  I think I need to make something with CW fabric.  Any suggestions besides the two books you mentioned?

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Ruth replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 12:45 PM

Very Very cute love it. Great job!!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,473
Points 116,865

Marie:

Judy, what a great idea, I love it!  The colors are wonderful!  I think I need to make something with CW fabric.  Any suggestions besides the two books you mentioned?

We are working from another book in the Parasols group called Borderland in Butternut & Blue by Barbara Brackman. I have the 13 blocks completed, just haven't decided for sure how to put them together.

Top 500 Contributor
Male
Posts 143
Points 4,460
Joe replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 1:03 PM

I like all fabric associated with the War of Northern Aggression but can't afford the price of their well-researched reproductions. So I buy for my old-time quilts with these standards. If solid is the red blue or green kinda dark and interesting? Is the lavender dusty or disney? (dusty is it). If a pattern, does it look like old walpaper? Would you tear it down instantly? If answer = true I buy it and put it in the old time tub.

Also I watch in yardsales for scraps from rich quilt ladies.

Whoever, Barbara I think, said all that. Good job

Page 2 of 4 (46 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use