Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi Posted: Mon, Dec 31 2012 6:32 PM

Do any of you do wool applique? I am starting my Christmas gift kits for Christmas 2013 and I have a question.

When sewing down the pieces, after they are fused to the background fabric, is it preferred to use wool thread or is the regular DMC thread,  for embroidery, fine to use with wool? I use cotton fabric for the background. Haven't done this in awhile so can't remember what the rule of thumb is about thread. A few years ago I worked with felt applique and used the DMC. So, those in the know, please help me to know.

Thanks, and I hope one of you, at least, do this kind of hand work.

Sukochi

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Sukochi, I think gini maybe uses wool. I would say that cotton thread or the DMC should work. I don't know that I have ever seen wool thread.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,351
Points 46,480
Angele replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 6:48 PM

I use Valdani thread. But DMC threads  work well too. Sometimes the Valdani threads blends more nicely, but that is just what I was suggested to use.  It works great.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,425
Points 40,390
Mimi replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 7:45 PM

LaJuan Sukochi Lee:
is it preferred to use wool thread or is the regular DMC thread

In the few classes I've taken they have said either is fine. In the class I took from Kathy Kansier last summer she recommended DMC pearl cotton size #8. She also said that you could use 2 strands of embroidery floss in matching or contrasting colors.  So I guess it's up to the artist.  I'm sure you will make the right decision for you.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 7:46 PM

Spudgrandma:

Sukochi, I think gini maybe uses wool. I would say that cotton thread or the DMC should work. I don't know that I have ever seen wool thread.

Spud, there is such an animal as wool thread. It is not cheap either. So, if DMC works just as well. I will stick with it. Thanks. 

Got two kits ready today. This IS going to work.

Sukochi

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 7:48 PM

As I said, I used to do a bunch of wool applique. It is so much fun. I just had gotten into quilting and didn't look back. But, for Christmas stuff, it is great. Snowmen are just fuzzy in wool.

Thanks y'all.

Sukochi

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,354
Points 414,879
gini replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 11:38 PM

i've used wool, cotton, perle cotton and floss, they all work well

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,847
Points 85,755
Sukochi replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 8:16 AM

Thanks, Gini. I have not used the pearl cotton and have always used 3 strands of floss.

Sukochi

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use