Enlarging blocks

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 42 Replies | 8 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580
Melissa Halpain posted on Sun, Dec 30 2012 6:49 PM

OK, I must admit to everyone that, even though I've been sewing for 40 years, I am mathematically and geometrically challenged. Does anyone know of any simple method (that I can understand) to enlarge quilt blocks. I'm a dork and still trying to teach myself simple equations, even though I've had a home sewing business for several years. I'm OK with doing calculations but I'm not sure what calculations to do to enlarge a block. Thanks in advance for any and all help anyone can give me.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20

I would love a copy of the chart. Math and I are not even on the same planet. I end up getting my son to do it. My email is swilley.tx@gmail.com

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Hi Swilley, it is nice to meet you.

BTW, I would not put my email address in a post, You can do a friend request of Elizabeth with your email in it. Everyone can see the posts here, even if they are not a member of QCA, thus giving access to your email to anyone on the internet. 

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
128 Posts
Points 2,270

WOULD ALSO LOVE IT. HOW DO YOU FRIEND SOMEONE ON THIS SITE? AFTER OVER 2 YEARS ON THIS SITE YOU WOULD THINK I WOULD HAVE GOTTEN THE HANG OF IT BY NOW....

• | Post Points: 35
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,260 Posts
Points 25,600

I finally posted the link in my blog under charts, click on my name, my blog and charts and the link is on the bottom.  So pround of myself for figureing out how to do this

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Sherry, to friend someone you click on their name where it shows up as a link and it will take you to their page, then just click on send a friend request and when they friend you back you can then PM them.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,260 Posts
Points 25,600

Yep, what Spud said

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,963 Posts
Points 368,547
Kris replied on Tue, Jan 1 2013 3:52 PM

Belfrybat:
Kris has it right, BUT deduct seam allowances since they are always 1/4", then add them back on after you get your new measurements.

I never do that. It works out with the cutting measurements.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
128 Posts
Points 2,270

I tried this and it didn't work. I was unable to open the link on her page. Did send a friend request, but still didn't hear anything. That may not have worked either. Thanks for the help though.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,260 Posts
Points 25,600

Sherry:

I tried this and it didn't work. I was unable to open the link on her page. Did send a friend request, but still didn't hear anything. That may not have worked either. Thanks for the help though.

Sherry, Sorry, I just looked through my friends list and do not see your name.  If you friend me and send your email I will send you the chart.  To friend click on my name - that will take you to my page, then click of friend request.  Be sure to send email in a private message so the whole world does not see it.

Elizabeth

From Sunny Southern CA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
128 Posts
Points 2,270
Sherry replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 11:55 AM

tried it again. it says on your page that it is pending. i cancelled and resent. we will see....

Top 500 Contributor
Male
143 Posts
Points 4,460
Joe replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 12:12 PM

I really like Kris's math though I will probably never use it. I draw everything on graph paper. But, in case, I have that stashed in my meandering brain. Thanks

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

Sherry:

tried it again. it says on your page that it is pending. i cancelled and resent. we will see....

Sherry, it will say pending until they friend you back.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,963 Posts
Points 368,547
Kris replied on Thu, Jan 3 2013 3:50 PM

Joe:

I really like Kris's math though I will probably never use it. I draw everything on graph paper. But, in case, I have that stashed in my meandering brain. Thanks

I like graph paper too Joe. Works great.

Page 3 of 3 (43 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use