Top 10 Posters

Templates - I need a how to

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 20 Replies | 5 Followers

Not Ranked
35 Posts
Points 1,355
LearningDayByDay posted on Sat, Dec 29 2012 9:29 AM

I've told myself no more fabric buying until I use up a major portion of what I have  . . . . so I have a small number of quilts in mind to make.  I'm still a major beginner in this, having made only 4 quilts and some small pillows - all of which used squares, rectangles and a very small number of triangles.

The next quilt I want to make is labeled beginner but requires the use of  two templates to make approximately 700 pieces.  I've never used a template before so this is all new to me and I'm not even sure what questions I need to ask you about this.  So I'll ask what I think I need to know, answer what you can and add anything else.

My first and main question is what do I need to buy at the shop to be able to make a template?  I'm headed there later today and don't want to go in feeling totally stupid.  My pattern requires the use ot two different templates, one being the major one and covering about 95% of the pattern.  This one is a triange shape.  Will I be cutting out 680 individual pieces or will it be similar to cutting squares where I cut one long strip and then triangles from that?  (and if it's just a triangle to I really need a template?)

Please share with me what you can about templates, since I've never used them I'm not sure what I'm getting into.

Thanks, Ellie

• | Post Points: 110

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Here are some pictures I found.  Are any of these close to what you are doing?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
24,838 Posts
Points 366,202
Kris replied on Sat, Dec 29 2012 3:02 PM

Freezer paper works great for templates. You can trace (or print) the shape onto it. Iron it to your fabric then cute along the edges with your rotary cutter. This can be reused a few times.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Points 1,355

MNancy - yes, the quilt I want to make looks very similar to the first picure you posted, almost identical.  And I have to say I love the second one, it gives me ideas for another quilt to put on my list.

And thank you to everyone for your responses and to the links, I've been given some great info.  I honestly thought that I would have to trace 700 individual triangles and cut them out with scissors, no way was I going to attempt that.  I think I will take my 40% coupon out to Joann's and buy a trangular template.  Knowing I can to this quilt in equilateral trianges helps a lot.

Ellie

I

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

LearningDayByDay:
I think I will take my 40% coupon out to Joann's and buy a trangular template.

Look in the Fons & Porter section.  I believe they sell a 60-degree triangle template.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,418 Posts
Points 415,829
gini replied on Mon, Dec 31 2012 9:53 AM

your regular rotary ruler has 60 degree markings on it that you can use for your triangles.   cut a strip the right width  and use that  line. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,443 Posts
Points 127,624

LearningDayByDay:
(and if it's just a triangle to I really need a template?)

The answer to that is no, as gini said you can use a regular rotary ruler. Here is a tutorial for a tube quilting method but it shows how to use a regular ruler to make an angle cut.  Tutorial for angle cut

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Page 2 of 2 (21 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use