Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 86 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 82 83 84 85 86 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 34
Points 735

IBS and you can eat salad every day...lucky you!

I crave salad, but it puts me out of commission about midway thru eating it. My weight is staying the same 26 pounds lost since December and it's been that way for several weeks. I am redistributing though, I guess because I'm getting into all kinds of clothes I haven't been able to for way too long.

Still want to get rid of another 10 by our cruise on July 9th....

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,227
Points 27,635
Agnes replied on Wed, Jun 5 2013 8:42 PM

Sukochi:
I have been diagnosed with sciatica, but,  that has not a thing, I don'tt think to do with this pain. Upon waking, I have a pain, in my left leg,

Unfortunately sciatica could have everything to do with pain all the way down to the sole of your foot. I think I really lucked out when I went to a chiropractor. She also uses physiotherapy along with the manipulation. For the first time in my life I am now not hesitant in making appointments when something doesn't seem right. So in the last month I have discovered that unbearable pain in the base of the heel is from the nerve shortening due to sciatic activity. Two manipulations and daily exercises have me a happy walker.At the same time I also  had instep problems. Icing is helping that but the instep ties in with my sore area at the ankle. Tennis ball and exercise for that. This week I wen to see her  because my hand tendons were really creating havoc. That boils down to both neck and shoulder area also needing help. Some ultra sound,  bit adjustment and exercises. This time I need either a big rolled up ball of yarn or small beach ball. Most important is to change posture and a few exercises to ensure this with every TV commercial.or that type of timing. In this short period of time I am feeling more able to control my eating, both quantity and what I'm eating.

Sunshine isn't hurting either. Thankfully I haven't gained since we started this topic but now I am finding it easier to control my portion size and the foods I am eating. There is hope yet!!!!!!

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,469
Points 50,055
Ginny replied on Thu, Jun 6 2013 5:56 AM

Sukochi, good luck with your walking, I only wish I could get myself into walking, but the hills are just too much for me at my house.  Your back pain does indeed sound like it is sciatic in nature, that is how mine acted.  See if your Doc can prescribe some physical therapy for you,  it helps a great deal.  I held off from surgery for many years with the physical therapy that was taught to me.  Much of it can be done at home after you learn what to do.   Good luck in relief of your pain.    Ginny

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,395
Points 119,521
Patti replied on Thu, Jun 6 2013 7:29 AM

I am weighing myself only about every other week or so.  The main thing I am doing diet wise is to avoid snaking most of the time.  Evenings are usually the worst. 

I am getting more exercise.   Recently mostly gardening, and walking.  Worked all day yesterday on the bunny fence, and now our garden is protected, and now some cages to keep the chipmunks out.    I need to get the vegetables replanted. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 1:13 PM

Hi gals, hope you are enjoying summer!  We finally are getting warm weather here in Eastern Washington State.  Up until this week, it had been unseasonable cold and pretty wet for what is usually the "dry-side" of our state.  

Just wanted to let you know I am still using MFP and watching my food plan closely.  I have had some health challenges in the last few weeks that have interfered with my exercising, but I am still able to do a little work in my garden each day and at least that is something.  I have really found MFP to be the perfect solution for me...because if I am unable to exercise and burn extra calories in a day, it really lets me know where I am at and specifically what my eating limits must be.  I have never had that kind of "over-sight" before and I think that is why this time has been easier for me than my previous efforts.

I apologize for not getting back with my full update in early June, but life got in the way.  I have continued to lose at a slow rate and surprisingly I am now within 1.2 pounds of my goal weight...even with very limited exercise this last month.  I have to admit that now I am concerned with how I am going to manage maintaining my goal weight.  That has always been an issue for me and I want this time to be different.  I am hoping MFP will be the answer for me with maintaining too.

Thank you all for being here and supporting me and all of us in our goal for a healthier life-style.  Believe me, if I can do this, so can you!  You do not have to be marathon woman/man to lose weight.  Every single movement more than laying in bed or sitting a chair helps!!!  Just monitoring what you eat in relation to your activity level is the key.  

I strongly recommend MyFitnessPal.com to all of you - and it is FREE!  If you join, be sure to request my friendship (drbonn).

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 1:20 PM

BTW, did all of you see the "Quilters Shuffle" from QuiltMarket 2013 in Portland Oregon?  It just shows that all those moves we make while quilting do add up to exercise!  You just need to be conscious of what you eating too.  

Tip of the Month:  (I didn't make this up; saw it on a U-tube video)  When you are cutting with your rotary cutter, tighten your abdominal muscles and hold while you make your cut, then release.  Every time you make a cut, tighten your ab's, then release.  THERE YOU GO!!!  You have a built in AB WORKOUT while Rotary Cutting!

ps. Just added this as a tip on the main forum.

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,532
Points 22,990
Susie replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 1:36 PM

Hi All!

Donna--kudos to you for keeping with it.  I stopped using MFP because I was stressing waaaayyyyy too much about hitting my calories, so then I was eating crap at night, just to get to where the dumb thing said I should be.  I know I need to continue tracking what I eat, but I have to stop stressing over the number of calories I eat.  Especially on days when I work out heavy.

I am extremely frustrated, though.  With all my healthy eating changes, and all the workouts I have been doing over the past FOUR months, the scale hasn't moved even ONE pound!  My measurements aren't changing much, although a little bit.  Not enough for how hard I have been at it.  I am sooooo frustrated!  I think I am just destined to be a chubby belly chick, as depressing as that is to me.  I do have more energy than I used to, so that's a good thing.  I can generally trot up my 3 flights of stairs instead of trudging up them, and I can bounce down them without issue.  It's just looking down makes me want to cry.

I have started focusing on holding in my abs whenever I am walking--no matter where I am going.  And I am trying to sit up straighter, which makes me hold in my gut a little bit as well.  I do need to get in to see my doc--I think part of it is that my thyroid is off.  But I need to find time to do that, and there just doesn't seem to be enough time to get everything done these days.  Darn it anyway!!!

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 2:34 PM

Susie:
  I do need to get in to see my doc--I think part of it is that my thyroid is off.  But I need to find time to do that, and there just doesn't seem to be enough time to get everything done these days. 

Susie, I do wish I had the magic words of wisdom for you, but I don't.  And, I do know that MFP is not for everyone!  I'm a former accountant, so numbers are fun for me and I'll admit I tend to be obsessive compulsive.  I too found myself eating to catch up on the calories late in the evening until I figured out that I needed to plan my exercise/meals for the "whole" day...in other words not wait until after dinner to find out I was really really short on calories for the day.  It took time and practice to get it down.  But, if it doesn't work for you, it doesn't work for you.  That is what makes life interesting...we are all different and yet also have so many similarities!

One thing I really wanted to mention to you is...Girl, you really NEED to make the time to get to the doctor...FOR YOU!!!   I have had so many "wake-up" calls this year with myself and friends...putting off or avoiding a visit to the doctor that turned damaging in some cases, catastrophic in others.  For yourself, and those you love, make that appointment and get yourself in to that doctor's office asap!!!

And, I love to hear that your endurance and energy level has improved so much!  That is just supper!!!

Let us know how it goes with the doctor, and do keep trying on the weight loss.  There is an answer...you just need to find what works for you. 

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,397
Points 23,280
Debbie replied on Tue, Jul 2 2013 9:57 PM

checking in...been maintaining, no loss but no gain either.  right now, I'm just waiting to have my back surgery - ruptured disc and stenosis, which is causing me complications.  pinched nerve is starting to interfere with bowels so it's important I go through with surgery  last week's pain was bad, worse than having a baby, I think.       Of course, I don't remember all of giving birth three times but I know it's the worse pain ever.  

will be glad when this is all over and life can return to whatever normal is.  ready to start enjoying life again!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,705
Points 436,495
Nana replied on Fri, Jul 5 2013 12:24 AM

Debbie

So sorry for all the back pain.  Been there with neck pain and had cervical spine fusion.   The surgery really isn't too bad and I found post op to go fairly well also.   Good luck and hope you feel better soon.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,023
Points 12,975

Susie, you need to definitely find the time!  The thyroid is nothing to mess around with. I've had thyroid issues going on 30 years. I was on the synthetic thyroid meds until about 7 years ago. Then I did some research and switched to the pig thyroid (Armour also known as desiccated thyroid). I started using a compounding pharmacy a few years ago when the discontinued making Armour Thyroid. They had such negative response to discontinuing it that they started making it again. Now you can also get several generics of Armour. I didn't realize how crappy I felt and how much it effected my weight until I switched from synthetic to Armour. The synthetic makes your overall number look good but doesn't help you free T3s and T4s. Sometimes you have to educate our doctor because they re programmed to treat certain issues a specific way. I switched to a DO which is a medical and holistic doctor. Worked for me. Good luck but don't procrastinate any longer. It will only cause you more frustration!

aka Grandma Sunshine

Page 86 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 82 83 84 85 86 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use