Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 82 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 80 81 82 83 84 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Tue, May 7 2013 9:38 PM

Dinner tonight consisted of a baked sweet potato (actually I think it was a yam) and so far that is all.  I did buy some low fat or fat free (can't remember which) cottage cheese for tomorrow's lunch.  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, May 7 2013 9:51 PM

Sonny is okay with this, or he gets other items on his plate?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,389
Points 46,865
Angele replied on Tue, May 7 2013 9:59 PM

So far things are going ok.  I am still going down on the scales.  The last two weeks were difficult, but I hope to get back in the groove.  So far so good this week.  I see how each and everyone is taking the commitment of making healthy changes in our lives and working with it.  A step every day in the right direction is all we can strive for.  

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, May 7 2013 10:28 PM

Karla:
 I did buy some low fat or fat free (can't remember which) cottage cheese for tomorrow's lunch.  

Karla, personally I use low fat cottage cheese.  I just couldn't adjust to the taste of the fat free...but that could just be me...I can be picky food-wise.  But, do be sure you are checking labels on things labeled fat free...oftentimes they load these with either salt, sugar, or both to compensate for the fat reduction.  Small amounts of fats are better for you than either salt or sugar.  You really need to read those labels and be a smart consumer.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, May 7 2013 10:32 PM

Angele:
So far things are going ok.  I am still going down on the scales.  The last two weeks were difficult, but I hope to get back in the groove.

Hi Angele, I know you have had a tough couple of weeks, so it's good to hear from you and that you are ready to "get back in the groove".  We've missed you...

Winthrop, WA

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 600
Points 10,405
zoetc49 replied on Wed, May 8 2013 7:40 AM

Hi everyone,

I have not posted here but I wanted to congrats all who have decided to work at their health. I had a neighbor that was always calling me to go out for chips and tea. It was not only bad for me but I realized it was a time killer for me, so I would not fix healthy meals when i was home. I finally had to tell him- no more! So I quite eating out, stopped eating sugar and have not had any thing to drink in over a month. I have lost 5 pounds now( I also started writing down what I eat + calories to keep me accountable). I bought the Fit Bit which is a motivation and I started back to walking 3- 5 miles a day, making it 21-30 miles a week, and I added weight training - which is my love! A few weeks ago I went to the Asian food store and what I noticed was a ton of rice, vegetables, and fish. Most of Asian's are small, so I thought I could follow more of what they do. I learned how to do steam fish and it's so easy and good. I now eat 4 cups of salad with 3 oz chicken breast, 1/2 teaspoon bacon bits, 1 teaspoon sun flower seeds, and 1 teaspoon Parm. Cheese. I then use 2 Tablespoons of light Italians dressing which has 35 calories for that amount, oh I also add salad peppers to make it taste more like Olive Gardens salad. That makes into a 200 calorie meal. I usually will have one slice of high fiber bread and an apple- I usually am stuffed by then with having 330 calories. I am now going through " the change" so I am finding that I had to make some new choices and ones that I can live with. My goal is to lose 40 more pounds, but 50 would be great too.       

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Wed, May 8 2013 8:09 AM

wow zoetc, you are doing great.  I need to be walking more.  

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,544
Points 23,325
Susie replied on Wed, May 8 2013 8:46 AM

Everyone is doing so great!  I've been trying really hard to cut down on my carbs.  I have put myself on a strict moratorium on the stuff I can't manage (white potatoes, bread, rice, pasta).  The scale isn't showing anything yet, but I'm going to stick with it.  I did have 1 piece of 100% whole wheat toast this morning, though.

But, did you know that GRAPES have carbs in them?  I'm so confused now about what to eat...  I'm gonna have to go get a book on low carb eating just so I can understand it better.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Wed, May 8 2013 9:03 AM

MNnancy:

Sonny is okay with this, or he gets other items on his plate?

Actually, he is ecstatic about it...he has been having some stomach problems and this lo-cal diet seems to be helping him.  He's from the south and he loves sweet potatoes and yams, so he actually liked dinner.  And he has lost almost 8 pounds in the last week or two.which we knows he needs to do (along with another 60 or 70).  Me, I've lost a measly 3.5 pounds, but there are no chips or cookies in the house and the grandkids aren't happy about that.  I just hope the good fresh fruit starts arriving in the grocery soon as that will satisfy the boys.

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 580

My husband lost 20 pounds.  I did it by only making fresh foods, nothing with preservatives.  Little sugar as possible and not huge servings.  Lots of veggies and fruit, roasting instead of frying, no sweet snacks in the house.  If you want a sweet snack you have to make it.  Thats how I was brought up (living on a farm in the middle of nowhere)  anyway thats what  worked for us.  I lost weight too and wasn't even trying to.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 600
Points 10,405
zoetc49 replied on Wed, May 8 2013 10:52 AM

Susie, ( and everyone)

I found this helpful for me in the past and now. I compared it to WW and it's about the same plan, only you learn what portions are not points..and it's free !!

check out http://www.lillydiabetes.com/hcp/patiet-education.jsp

If that does not work call Ely Lilly 1-800-545-5979 and ask them to send you out ( free) "Daily Meal Planning Guide". Years ago I did some work with the Extension service- you each have one in your area, just look it up in your county " Extension + your area". Anyways, I have both the old plan and the new one. If you get the new one it will not have a suggestive eating plan, but it will have a wonderful guide on what is a portion. Grapes are fine to eat. If your Diabetic I would follow the 12-15 grape suggestion, if not- I would go for a cup as they will fill you up and they do have fiber + water. Fot the fruit sometimes I will make them up for a dessert, cooked apple, strawberry shake sweeten with splenda, etc.

The 1200 meal plan I try my best to follow is this: Also know this is a suggestion and I stray sometimes, but it's very helpful for me. I once got down to a size 5 following this plus the walking I am doing now and the weight training.  Here is the plan. 

Breakfast:

1 bread serving                                                        I eat 1/2 cup cooked oatmeal with a 3 oz banana, and a cup ff milk

1 Fruit

1 milk

Lunch:

1 bread ( I do high fiber bread)

2 oz meat ( I do 3 when it's chicken breast) 

1 vegetable (  I have salad most days as it counts as FREE)

1 fruit ( I often have an apple)

Dinner:

2 meat ( I often have 3 oz white fish as it's 100 calories)

2 bread ( maybe 1 cup pasta, or 2/3 cup rice, just an example)

1 vegetable ( maybe 1 cup cooked Broccoli)

Late snack:

1 fruit

1 milk

1 bread         I do different things here. Sometimes i get taco shells and break up 1 1/2 and get some salsa, then maybe I will get a Greek yogurt and add some fresh or frozen ( make a shake).

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 600
Points 10,405
zoetc49 replied on Wed, May 8 2013 10:56 AM

Oops, I meant to add " Fresh or frozen Strawberries" ..sorry

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,353
Points 174,683
Marie replied on Thu, May 9 2013 7:47 AM

Cangrats to all who are sticking to the plan or even struggling with it, which means you are still trying.  Out of the 15 lbs. I lost since Dec. I've put 10 back on, can't say I've been trying to succeed.  This seams to be my pattern my whole life.  I shudder to think of what I would weigh if I didn't take some off and then put it back on, I'd be off the charts on the scale.  I know the yo yo dieting is not good but I have to keep trying.  I am a true addict with food and wish I could kick the habit for good.  I haven't quit this thread, I read it every day in hopes to get the inspiration I need to get started again.  Thank you all for being there, I truly appreciate each and everyone of you.

Millbury, MA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 203
Points 4,430

Hello All!  Gosh I have been MIA so much.  I have actually gained more by changing my eating habits and exercising more.  Now I'm experiencing joint soreness and I have been incurably tired since...well, pretty much since last year.

I have a doctor's appointment tomorrow.  A couple of my friends asked me if I had ever had my thyroid checked.  I'll be straight honest and admit that I thought "I have thyroid problems" was just an excuse to be lazy.  After doing a little research, turns out that people who smoke (or quit), tend to have a thyroid that doesn't work because of the over-stimulation of smoking.  

So tomorrow I see a new doctor.  I'm not exactly thrilled because the last time I saw a doctor, he put me on phentermine...which worked wonders...and turned me into Medusa and it wasn't healthy.  

So I am frustrated and that's where I am at.  My sewing machine bound up last week, and I don't have another machine, and I have two commissions waiting for me, four friends that are pregnant and due between September and December....and all I really want to do is sleep.  :\  

I so encourage you all to keep running the race!  I'm hoping to get whatever my problem is fixed (even if that means a lobotomy) so I can move forward.  

Love and hugs to you all!

(Marie - your picture is so freakin' adorable!!!!  Little babies are awesome!)

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Thu, May 9 2013 9:49 AM

I think I am on the right track now.  I am down to only 2 days of work a week.  I will never again fill in to work out of town.  I am actually sleeping most of the nights straight through which I have not done for many years. I am getting out and walking, and eating better. 

I am enjoying life. 

I have found that my mood is what affects my eating and exercise habits more than anything else.  I have too long used food to sooth my moods. 

I am going for a walk now, while my fabric is in the wash.  Then it's sewing the rest of the day!

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 82 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 80 81 82 83 84 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use