Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 81 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 79 80 81 82 83 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sat, May 4 2013 10:47 AM

Suzy, very impressive goals!  I like your idea of taking each goal one at a time...it makes them more accomplish-able (I think I made that word up, but it fits...lol!).  

Unfortunately for me, I would have to lose another 40 pounds to get from my current goal to pre-baby weight.  I was really skinny way back then...actually too skinny!  I don't honestly think I would want to be back to that weight at my current age.  But another 20 pounds would probably be good.  I was just thinking last night that if I reach my current goal on schedule (late summer/early fall), I am going to keep on the weight-loss program through the end of 2013 to see where it takes me.  That will get me into the XC ski season where I basically can eat as much as I want (of healthy foods) because I am burning lots of calories.  At least I will be a lot lighter skiing next year...LOL!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, May 6 2013 2:11 PM

I have started using MyFitnessPal again...I managed to put back on 10 lbs. of the 50 I lost last year.  Back to my old bad habits.  This morning I started counting the calories and the exercise again to see if I can that 10 lbs back off and another 20 before summer is over.  Wish me luck.  Now is probably the right time to do it as DH's stomach has been bothering him and I've been trying to cut out his favorites, fried foods, pastas, etc.  Also, this time of the year I am much more active with the yard work/gardening, home fix-up, grandchildren, etc.

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 35
Deb replied on Mon, May 6 2013 2:41 PM

Wow, I just saw these posts - have been a member awhile but haven't spent much time playing on here!  Sounds like you all are doing great!  I need to lose 20 pounds, even though its half way through the year, would it be all right fir me to join in?  I'm hoping if I make myself post, I'll be more responsible and get and keep the weight off!  I keep lis g and regaining thse same 20 pounds and am tired of it!  Thanks

deb

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, May 6 2013 3:01 PM

Karla:
I have started using MyFitnessPal again...I managed to put back on 10 lbs. of the 50 I lost last year.

Karla, glad you are "nipping the weight gain" before it gets too out of control.  Welcome and hope you will join us here often!

I also had lost 50 pounds about 10 years ago (just before we moved east of the mountains), but had gradually been gaining them back to where I was up 25 pounds last fall.  That was the line for me (wish it had been 10)...but anyway, when this thread was started it was just what I needed (to be accountable to all of you).  MFP has been a great help for me in keeping my calorie intake and expenditure (exercise) balanced so I continue to lose the weight gradually.  I am really committed this time to making this a life-style change...permanently!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, May 6 2013 3:05 PM

Deb:

Wow, I just saw these posts - have been a member awhile but haven't spent much time playing on here!  Sounds like you all are doing great!  I need to lose 20 pounds, even though its half way through the year, would it be all right fir me to join in?  I'm hoping if I make myself post, I'll be more responsible and get and keep the weight off!  I keep lis g and regaining thse same 20 pounds and am tired of it!  Thanks

deb

Welcome Deb and please just jump right in...you will fit in perfectly!  We all have the same goal...to live healthier life-styles...by eating and exercising healthy.  We are all here to help and support each other and share our ups and downs.   Are you on Myfitnesspal.com?  If not, I would suggest you take a look (it's free) and see if you like it.  

Hope you will post often and let us know how you are doing. 

Winthrop, WA

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,558
Points 23,625
Susie replied on Mon, May 6 2013 3:13 PM

I meant to post this last week, but time really got away from me. 

After talking to my chiro, and showing him my food log, he said I wasn't doing too badly, but I needed to cut back on my carbs.  He said that the amount of carbs I was eating, my body was just storing everything else.

So...grocery shopping taking his advice into consideration....no bread, no potatoes, no rice, no pasta.  CARP...what am I supposed to eat?  Even my grapes have carbs, for crying out loud!

But I'm trying...I figure I have about 3 more days of none of that good stuff before I turn into a royal PITA, lol.

I am a carb-o-holic, so this is really going to challenge me. I'm just afraid that I will OD on them before I can get it under control.

Chicagoland, Illinois

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Mon, May 6 2013 3:21 PM

I am so glad this thread has resurfaced.  

I have had several days of eating healthy and exercising.  (My sister is visiting.)  But I need to keep this up.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Mon, May 6 2013 3:21 PM

My 9 year old grandson is also overweight and on Monday and Wednesday I feed them (he and 7 year old who is a skinny little thing who never sits still) dinner before I take them to TaeKwonDo and then home.  Tonight I am grilling a turkey breast in a low-cal marinade.  I haven't decided on what I will make to go with it though, probably a salad and a vegetable.  The youngest skinny one won't eat salad (he gags and I don't feel like cleaning up after him)...any suggestions?  I'm also trying to cut down on the carbs, normally it would be mashed potatoes and gravy, but not tonight...maybe skinny baked potatoes?

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Mon, May 6 2013 3:31 PM

Believe it or not, sweet potatoes are actually lower in carbs, than russet.   They also taste good without adding all the butter, etc. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, May 6 2013 3:39 PM

Karla:
 I'm also trying to cut down on the carbs, normally it would be mashed potatoes and gravy, but not tonight...maybe skinny baked potatoes?

I love french fries and of course those are on my no-no list these days...so I roast seasoned potato wedges.  I brush the wedges with olive oil (OVOO) or dump them in a bowl with a little OVOO and toss lightly until they are all coated.  I put them on a foil covered cookie sheet and sprinkle them with some kind of seasoning mix (low salt) and I usually add extra cayenne pepper because we like them spicey.  Roast in the oven at 400 degrees  about 10 minutes, turn and roast another 10 minutes until done and nicely browned.  Watch the catsup...that is calorie/sugar loaded too!  A little cup with 2 Tblsp of low-cal ranch dressing for each person to use for dipping might work.

Will your "gagger" eat cooked vegetables OK?

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, May 6 2013 3:42 PM

Patti:

Believe it or not, sweet potatoes are actually lower in carbs, than russet.   They also taste good without adding all the butter, etc. 

I know, but I did not inherit the "I love sweet potatoes" gene!  I really wish I could learn to like them, but so far it isn't happening.

If your family likes sweet potatoes, you could do the roasted potatoes recipe with sweet potatoes.

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,540
Points 51,225
Ginny replied on Mon, May 6 2013 6:28 PM

Glad not liking sweet potatoes is not my problem.  That was my supper last night a baked sweet potato.  Had an orange for dessert.  Yum    Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Tue, May 7 2013 4:26 PM

I actually did the potato wedges with fat free ranch last night, and the grandkids loved it.  They wanted cheese melted on theirs, so I melted a slice of fat free cheese and they were in 7th heaven.  After taking them to TaeKwonDo, I stopped at the grocery and bought some sweet potatoes.  We used to have these all the time when I was growing up.

I'm really proud of myself today...for breakfast I had one slice of whole grain oatnut toast, dry, and three pieces of fruit, 1/2 cup strawberries, a kiwi and a banana.  For lunch I had a green salad, with tomatoes, slices of yesterday's barbecued turkey, peppers, and sunflower kernels, with a little lite honey mustard dressing.  After figuring out what I burned mowing the lawn and finishing yesterday's vacuuming (using my vacuum is like pushing an old push mower in tall grass, but it does get up the dog hair), I still have plenty of calories left for a decent dinner.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, May 7 2013 5:21 PM

Karla, great job!  That's the way to make it work...you are definitely on the right track.  And, those grand-kids are going to be learning better eating habits from you too!  

Congratulations!!!

So glad you  and GSs liked the potato wedges.  You made them work for you and that is what it is all about.  

I try to eat my carbs early in the day (breakfast and lunch) so I don't feel starved by evening, then I can manage with a lighter dinner...just a salad and protein (chicken, turkey, or fish).  One of my favorite lunches this time of year, is low-fat cottage cheese (1/2 Cup) and a half an avocado.  It's loaded with lots of good stuff, is filling, and I like it!  I usually put either black or cayenne pepper on my cottage cheese.  I am so thankful that spices are calorie free!  

Winthrop, WA

Not Ranked
Posts 29
Points 580

I used to make zucchini pancakes for my kids because one never liked his veggies.  He loved the pancakes.  You could also roast parsnips and make them look like fries

Page 81 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 79 80 81 82 83 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use