Top 10 Posters

"Lifestyle Changes for Healthier Living," formerly "Weight loss challenge!" 2013 New Years Resolution.

Page 78 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 76 77 78 79 80 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 1,285 Replies | 34 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 10:18 AM

Happy April Fools Day everyone!  But this is no joke...we need to be realistic and deligent about this healthy living challenge.  We are starting month number 4 and hopefully all of you are starting to see some changes in your bodies, in your eating patterns, and hopefully in how much you are moving (ie exercising) each day.

The first of the month (at least for me) is my weigh and measure day...time to be accountable to all of you...LOL...and myself!

In March 2013, I lost  4 pounds, 1.5 inches (total) and my BMI dropped another .7 percent.   Yippee!!!   I'm inching my way downward and that is A-OK with me!

I am hoping for success (and strength) for all of you making this journey with me.

BTW, if you haven't taken a look at www.myfitnesspal.com I would strongly recommend it. It has really helped me a lot in being accountable for the food I am eating in relation to how much I am moving/exercising each day.  And it is FREE!!! You just need to be honest and post everything you put in your mouth onto your food diary...and then you will see why you are or are not losing weight.  It becomes very obvious!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 0
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 10:23 AM

I also wanted to mention that I am going to be having the "Road Trip Challenge" off an on over the next two weeks!  I am packing some healthy snacks to eat on the road so I don't give in to buying junk snacks.  I just hope I can stick to it!!!

I will be checking in when I have internet access (mostly in Oregon) so here's hoping you all have a great and healthy week!

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,516
Points 25,360
Debbie replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 3:19 PM

we began a new challenge at my work, Steps.  we are using an ActiPed to count our steps and there will be rewards throughout the 8 weeks and then $75 awarded to those with the most steps, which probably won't be me.  I was surprised the last time we did it and I took more steps than I thought I did.  Goal is 8,000 steps first week, then increases 10% every week with overall goal of 144,000 steps total. 

Easy peasy!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

Donna, i have finally lost another pound, down 13 since we  started this,   I have noticed  my clothes are fitting different, and, things i use to like to eat i either find too salty or sweet, so i find myself passing them up alot

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 10:01 PM

Leslie :

Donna, i have finally lost another pound, down 13 since we  started this,   I have noticed  my clothes are fitting different, and, things i use to like to eat i either find too salty or sweet, so i find myself passing them up alot

Leslie, I am so glad that you are really noticing a difference.  That is just so great!!!

I actually have dropped one size in jeans, so I guess that amounts to the same thing.  I felt pretty good about that too!  I wear either sweat pants or stretch ski pants most of the winter, but I was aware that last fall my jeans were "more than snug" (ie not fit to wear in public).  But, two weeks ago when the weather started warming up, I pulled them out and Yahoo...they fit again!!!  

Other than the Healthy Choice meal tasting overly salty to me, I really haven't noticed that much of a change in my taste of things.  I have pretty much given up sugared items like candy, cookies, etc. and haven't been tempted to eat an M & M yet!  (But, I really looked at them in the check-out line tonight. - don't worry, I was good!  Remember smelling doesn't add calories...LOL! ) 

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 10:06 PM

Debbie:

we began a new challenge at my work, Steps.  we are using an ActiPed to count our steps and there will be rewards throughout the 8 weeks and then $75 awarded to those with the most steps, which probably won't be me.  I was surprised the last time we did it and I took more steps than I thought I did.  Goal is 8,000 steps first week, then increases 10% every week with overall goal of 144,000 steps total. 

Easy peasy!

Wow Debbie, you have a really great employer!  Believe me, most employers are not this interested in the health and fitness of their employees to sponsor more than one program a year.  That really is commendable!  I know you are aware , but talk it up to your co-workers too...many probably have no idea what a benefit this truly is for them.  And, a public thank you to your employer (from the employees) might be a nice gesture too!

Winthrop, WA

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Mon, Apr 1 2013 10:30 PM

Donna B:
 I am packing some healthy snacks to eat on the road so I don't give in to buying junk snacks.  I just hope I can stick to it!!!

Good Evening everyone...I hope you survived April Fools Day (I keep typing it "April Foods Day"...LOL...now why is that???).

I'm staying at DS#2's house in Seattle tonight after dropping off my 830LE for it's One Year Anniversary "free" service.  Then tomorrow, its off to Oregon after a haircut from my favorite stylist.

I think I did pretty well with the food today:

Breakfast was at home... 303 Calories (Steel Cut Oatmeal w/ fruit & 1% Milk + hot tea)

AM Snack - 140 Calories (Chobani Blueberry Greek Yogurt )

Lunch -  310 Calories (Jack in the Box Southwest Chicken Salad with *Grilled" Chicken Strips, No Onions, No Cheese, No Spicy Corn Sticks, and 1 Tbsp Dressing)

PM Snack - 170 Calories (Planters Healthy Nut-rition nut Mix 1oz)

Dinner - 360 Calories (Lean Cuisine Orange Peel Chicken Dinner with rice medley and broccoli in a zesty orange sauce) 

Evening Snack - 100 Calories (Chobani Greek Yogurt bite - Raspberry with Dark Chocolate Chips)  *first time I've tried these...yummmmm!

Total for the day:  1383 Calories (under my goal of 1400)  (I stopped for an hour's walk [200 cal's] before lunch today!!!)              

Note:  I'm keeping track of all this on www.myfitnesspal.com

I won't bore you every day with what I am eating, but just to let you know it is possible.  AND, I found some of those pre-sliced apples this evening.  I'll have those for the drive tomorrow!

Winthrop, WA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

Donna, that all sounded great.        The one problem i still struggle with is making myself eat,   I know that sounds ideal to some but believe me, it has the opposite affect on me,  I gain weight when i don't eat at least 3 meals aday.   I do pretty good when i am working, to keep myself on a eating schedule.  its after i get home i am not hungery and on the weekends

[Ava, Missouri

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Apr 2 2013 11:13 PM

Leslie :

Donna, that all sounded great.        The one problem i still struggle with is making myself eat,   I know that sounds ideal to some but believe me, it has the opposite affect on me,  I gain weight when i don't eat at least 3 meals a day.   I do pretty good when i am working, to keep myself on a eating schedule.  its after i get home i am not hungery and on the weekends

Leslie, I can understand your problem and sometimes I am right on the line with you. For example, I won't feel hungry but know I need to eat to get my calorie count up to cover both my BMI and my exercise for the day.  If I go more than a day with more than a 20% deficit, I will start gaining weight!  I think that may be what is happening with you too.  Since you have such an active job, you need to take that into consideration and make sure you fuel your body sufficiently - with only a slight deficit (say 5-10%).  Your going to have to teach yourself how to eat more(4-5) light meals when your home (even if your not hungry) until your body gets used to having the food it needs.  I had to eat a second dinner at 9pm every night for awhile.  I know, I know...that is blasphamy...but it was what I needed to get my body re-charged and ready to lose weight!

I had a much rougher travel day today!  But, I learned an important lesson...at least for me!!!  Not all taco salads are created equal and not all taco salads at fast food establishments are diet friendly!

I will compare my two taco salad lunches from yesterday and today:

(This is my personal opinion, and if you disagree, I am sorry and hope I have not offended anyone.)

J in the B - Southwest Chicken Salad (Grilled Chicken)

Largest % - Lettuce   (no taco shell)

Contains semi-separated portions of corn, black beans, tomatoes & cheese with onion slices on top (easy to separate out effectively)

Dressing and Chip-strips are provided in separate packages...to be added or not as you desire.

(Total Calories per their Calorie Menu = 350 - if you eat everything)

Salsa is available as a condiment.

Taco B... - Fiesta Taco Salad (Grilled Chicken)

Largest % - Rice and Re-fried Beans  (in a taco shell)  

Lettuce is pre-mixed with cheese and chip-strips making it next to impossible to separate out effectively.

(Note, no corn, tomatoes, onions or black beans!)

Generous portion of sour cream is dolloped on the top of the lettuce/cheese/chip-strips mix. (not possible to separate out)

Salsa is provided in a separate container to be added or not as you desire.

(Total Calories per their Calorie Menu = 730 - if you eat everything)

Needless to say, I was less than happy with the Fiesta Taco Salad today (which was also more expensive).  I didn't eat the shell, tried to pick out the lettuce [trying to leave the cheese and chips-strips]...not a very satisfying lunch. Basically all I had from this salad was lettuce with a little sour cream and cheese on it.  I got back in the car and grabbed a package of the sliced apples I had bought and used that for the balance of my lunch.

Fixed Jacey's Taco Soup for my sister's for dinner tonight!  They loved it!!!

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 11:13 AM

I think this month number 4 is going to be my month number 1.  Starting again.  This working out of town since the end of January (2 work days, and 1-2 nights in a hotel a week) Has not been good for me.  Also I have been discouraged about my vision and that has not helped. 

So I have finished the out of town work.  And I am going to change some of my habits.  No more eating or snacking at the computer.  (beverages only.)  Never eat in the car.  Count calories, and watch my portions sizes.  Lower the carbohydrates.  AND EXERCISE!

And I too really need my 3 meals a day.  If I don't eat lunch, I am so hungry by dinner that I start eating while I am preparing the meal, and then still eat dinner when I am no longer hungry!

I find when I am not doing well, I tend to avoid this discussion.  I know checking in will keep me more accountable.

I did find that Applebee's has several great dinners that are only 550 calories.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,516
Points 25,360
Debbie replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 11:26 PM

Donna B:
Wow Debbie, you have a really great employer!  Believe me, most employers are not this interested in the health and fitness of their employees to sponsor more than one program a year.

Yes, the Metro Library System is a pretty good employer. 

today, I got walking in - went to Oklahoma Library Association pre-conference held in Ardmore, OK. preconference I went to was a tour of the Chickasaw Cultural Center, it tells the story of the Chickasaw Indian Nation and it preserves their heritage and culture. As librarians, we got a tour behind the scenes - preservation room, decomtamination area and where they are digitailizing all their holdings. very interesting and so informative!

Cultural Center is just beautiful, one room you get the experience of being in the forest and you hear the stories passed down from generations. If you ever come to OK, make it a priority on your visit.  Our only negative was it was cold and it rained today (don't get me wrong, we needed the rain! badly)  so not an ideal day to be walking outside where some of the activities take place and hard to see stuff in the rain. 

anyways, we left at 8:00 this morning and got home about an hour ago so a long day but very worthwhile. Best part, I got paid to go and paid for my mileage down there and back. what a deal!

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,516
Points 25,360
Debbie replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 11:28 PM

other great thing was DH took day off and went with me so I didn't have to drive 2 hours there and 2 hours back in the rain.  Plus we got to spent time together.  Great day!

Debbie (dear1953)  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,516
Points 25,360
Debbie replied on Wed, Apr 3 2013 11:30 PM

and I havent lost any more weight but haven't gained either so in maintenance and need to kick it back into losing mode.  Today's walking helped.  I'm up to almost 11,000 steps in just 2 days, will see tomorrow how many I did today. 

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,399
Points 119,586
Patti replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 9:42 AM

Day 1 was good.   Keeping myself busy with home projects and mostly quilting helps.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Thu, Apr 4 2013 11:44 AM

Patti:
I think this month number 4 is going to be my month number 1.  Starting again. 

Patti,  I think this is a great idea for you.  With your work and travel issues I know you have had a really rough start.  Sometimes it's just best to re-boot and start fresh...exactly what you are doing. Great decision!

Patti:
I did find that Applebee's has several great dinners that are only 550 calories.

Thanks for the tip!  I was looking more for fast food rather than a sit-down establishment but I will keep my eye out for an Applebee's on the Coast.  We are heading there on Sunday for a few days.  We may be in for some storms...what fun!  But, we do have a Condo rented - high on a cliff overlooking the surf - so we can stay in (nice and cozy) and watch the wave action.

And, in case of nasty weather, the condominiums have an exercise room and an indoor pool.  I am all set for any kind of weather!

Winthrop, WA

Page 78 of 86 (1286 items) « First ... < Previous 76 77 78 79 80 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use